A potential case of remission of Parkinson's disease

A 78-year-old male who, 16 years ago, was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease (PD) by a neurologist. He initially presented with left-hand tremor, stooped posture, shuffling gait, and frequent falls, which eventually progressed to bilateral motor symptoms after 3 years. Since 2012, his symptoms and signs have almost completely remitted, and he has been off all pharmacotherapy for that time. The accuracy of the initial PD diagnosis is supported by an appropriate clinical presentation, history of positive response to Sinemet, and an abnormal SPECT DaT scan; thus this case suggests the possibility of remission of symptoms in some patients. We propose that the patient's long history of meditation practice may have been one contributing factor of this improvement as meditation has been shown to release dopamine in the striatum.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/273...

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • The abstract is sketchy. It doesn't discuss the details of his daily meditation practice such as how he meditated and how long, nor any criticism of the "meditation-cured-him" hypothesis. Here (4th post from the top) is my summary of further relevant details

healthunlocked.com/parkinso...

and you'll find therein a link to the complete article online.

P.S. For what it's worth, I've meditated regularly my whole adult life and it didn't prevent me from being dx'd with PD at 66 years of age. Well, maybe it postponed the onset.

• could of worked if dopamine deficit only problem. you're operating on premise that it's just dopamine production problem. unlikely, I think, muscles are influenced by more than dopamine.

I just saw a video on utube about whole body vibration machines (I think he said his name was dr morarty. his thing is harnessing gravity. anyway he revealed three types of muscle, each using fat efficiently and others less efficiently. worth listening to for the info.

• Hi 999-666, Not aware that I said anything whatsoever about the alleged mechanism of action. All I did was provide more complete info and a link to the article reporting this remission. No premises here!

• Perhaps 999-666 's comment on "operating on a premise" was referring to this statement from the original post "We propose that the patient's long history of meditation practice may have been one contributing factor of this improvement as meditation has been shown to release dopamine in the striatum." and not referring to your comment, even though the reply comes under your comment. Not everyone knows that convention. I think 999-666 was agreeing with you - that the article/hypothesis is flawed.

• Toadma, What you say makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes I get confused on blogs and forums as to whom exactly a comment is being addressed to. My already addled mind cannot handle unclear or muddled messages.

You may also like...