I'm 73, was Dxed as PD in 2011. Soon found Katzenschlager et al 2004 and Hinz et al 2011 (Amino acid management of Parkinson’s disease: a case study). Soon after PD Dx, I began using Mucuna pruriens and reduced my intake of generic Synemet. I've been taking 4 of 100/25 generic Synemet per day plus 1 ropinirole at bedtime plus Mucuna capsules with each 100/25. Hinz et 2016 has prompted me to reduce my 100/25 to 1/2 tab four times per day, while boosting my Mucuna. I still live alone, cook for myself, and drive my old Suburu (to local grocery, doctors, and library- all within 2 mile radius of home).

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • That's encouraging. Hope I fare as well!

• thnx for sharing

• What brand of mucuna do you take? I take 4 siminet 25/100 4 x a day and 2 macuna. Would like to increase Mucuna and decrease siminet but not sure how to do it. My neuro does not know about the mucuna. Thanks

• I haven't established a best pattern yet. At 5 am, 9:30 am, 1:30 pm, and at 6:45 pm, I've been trying 1/2 of 25/100 along with two Mucuna Dopa (by Source Naturals). I take 1 ropinirole at 8:15 pm along with 1 capsule of Dopa Mucuna (by NOW). If I have errands in town (small town), I have on several days added 1 ropinirole around 8:30 am. At first I tried to omit the 9:30 am 1/2 of 25/100 but slumped a little too much, so I returned to the 4 times per day as sketched above.

• I'm certainly not a Neuro, but occassionally taking a requip/ropineral will have no deferrable effect other than possibly the nausea associated with getting used to agonist. It's not like taking tylenol when you have a headache. Best wishes on your efforts and relief.

• Pelley,

Thank you for commenting. I've been taking ropinirole before bedtime each night for more than two years. For me, ropinirole nausea has not been an issue. I have tried various combinations of 25/100 plus Mucuna and ropinirole. My occasional daytime use of ropinirole includes continuing my 1/2(25/100) + Mucuna regimen and somewhat extends my up time (while doing errands).

Ropinirole for the treatment of early Parkinson's disease. The Ropinirole Study Group.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/927...

Update on ropinirole in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/195...

Nonergot dopamine-receptor agonists for treating Parkinson's disease - a network meta-analysis

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/248...

• Aspergerian,

Welcome.

I am a bit uncertain what to make of your meds regime because in another post you say you take Amantadine but i dont see it mentioned here ? What dose of Ropinerole do you have? Ii take one tablet a day and that is 8 mg.

• Hikoi,

Thank you for pointing out my oversight. My ropinirole is .25 mg, and it seems to extend up-time somewhat in conjunction with the 1/2 of 25/100 plus Mucuna.

• What's your Mucuna dosage in teaspoon or mg plus % purity. Thanks, Tom in CA

You may also like...