finding suggests that there is no point in “saving Sinemet for later” in the early stages of PD, especially when it can effectively ease PD

Interesting Article about dyskinesia

Researchers Discover Brain Circuit Underlying Dyskinesia in PD It has long been thought that dyskinesias — the involuntary movements that are experienced by many people who live with Parkinson’s disease (PD) — are caused by the long-term use of levodopa (Sinemet®). But research funded by the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation (PDF) and published on September 2 in Neuron has uncovered new answers about this debilitating aspect of the disease. Researchers working under the direction of David Sulzer, Ph.D., at the PDF Research Center at Columbia University Medical Center, studied the brains of mice with Parkinsonian symptoms, and used a variety of techniques to monitor communication in the brain. They already knew that in the brain, dopamine neurons and other brain cells “talk” to each other using chemical transmitters. They wanted to better understand one under-explored part of this brain circuitry in PD — one that uses the neurotransmitter called GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) to communicate. Results • As the mice lost dopamine in their brains, neurons involved in the brain’s GABA circuit lost the ability to hear themselves “talk.” • As neurons lost the ability to hear themselves talk, they became oversensitive to incoming messages. • Researchers tested how the oversensitive neurons reacted to dopamine-replacing drugs similar to levodopa. They found that the neurons overreacted to the medications by talking “too loudly” (that is, releasing too much GABA) which resulted in dyskinesia-like movements. • Researchers identified two chemical receptors — nei

ther of them based on dopamine — that may help the neurons “speak” normally again (and potentially ease dyskinesia). One is a GABA receptor; the other is known as cannabinoid receptor 1. What Does It Mean? This paper improves our understanding of brain circuitry in PD in general, shedding light on an underexplored brain circuit involving GABA. It also improves our understanding of dyskinesias, suggesting that they are caused not by levodopa alone, but by levodopa in combination with long-lasting brain changes that occur in PD. The discovery potentially opens a new door to treating a common PD symptom. The study results should also ease concerns that many people have about using Sinemet early in Parkinson’s. Why? Because they show that people with advanced PD are likely to develop dyskinesias quickly once they are exposed to Sinemet, whether or not they have used it earlier on. This finding suggests that there is no point in “saving Sinemet for later” in the early stages of PD, especially when it can effectively ease PD symptoms.

pdf.org/pdf/NL_winter_16.pdf

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

HealthUnlocked Health Blogger Awards

Which blogger helps you manage your condition?

Vote now

Featured by HealthUnlocked

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Recommend Googliong in YouTubr "Interview with authors of Goodbye Parkinson's H ello Life". Icliudes current recommendation on therapy.

BillDavid

• BiillDavid

I havent read the book yet though i have got it. I have just googled your link name and watched one of the authors decribing how two years into the disease he was like a little old hunched man etc etc.

I have come across other stories like this followed by grand claims about reversing the disease but i Just dont get it. Unfortunately it makes me sceptical because i have never come across a person that debilitated after 2 yrs of PD. Most people you can barely tell they have pd especially if they are on drug treatment.

I know the mantra, we are all different but I would really be interested in knowing other peoples experience 2 yrs post diagnosis.

how many of you would describe yourself as a little old hunched person, tremors night and day, unable to dress without help, trouble walking, trouble thinking, couldnt use mouse or type, rarely went out ..... that describe you? Certainly not anyone i know with pd only 2 yrs.

• I will never describe myself as a little old hunched man...... nor will I wear velcro shoes..... Don't you dare call me spry!

• As far a "stigma" (real or imagined) that is associated with Velcro shoes... (my wife BTW thinks that way....) I say "Non-sense !" Even though I have no trouble with tying laces... I am so damned tired of shoe manufacturers putting very long , "one size fits all" on all shoes, so that you have to tie, tie a double knot... then maybe they're still so long you need to go triple... color me "ready for Velcro!".

I agree with your rejection of describing yourself as "little old hunched man."

• My husband is in great physical shape and loves Velcro straps on shoes because they are quick to use and hold securely. What a wonderful invention!

• vimeo.com/136816033

This is the link I refer to above. It is a very short video of Michael Weise speaking.

To have symptoms as he describes them after two years post diagnosis suggests to me he was very poorly managed or had untreated depression . The other possibility is a parkinsons plus illness but he hasnt got that obviously as it would show by now.

• I am almost exactly 2 years since diagnosis and no one would know I have PD if I didn't tell them. I occasionally have a bit of tremor on the affected side if I am stressed but that's it for visible symptoms.

• Exactly what my Neuro team has said for all of my 11 years on it. No abnormal (if there is such a thing) dyskinesia unless I get over medicated. Like forgetting I already took my dose and dbl downing! oops

I've learned long ago to take things as they are. No use sweating or wringing my hands about it eh?

• I began taking Sinemet aged 9 and continued to take it until i was 19 when i started experiencing panic attacks after which time i was put on madopar which i still take 29 years later

• How often you take Madopar thas it helps for you Parki and if you stop taking Sinemet?

• Hi serg , before my deep brain stimulation op i was taking madopar upto 16-18 times a day but its now down to about 10

You may also like...