Phase III Inosine Trial to Slow Parkinson's Now Recruiting around The United States

This is one of the few possible neuroprotective trials and they are recruiting right now.

A compound that researchers believe may lower the risk of Parkinson's disease (PD) and slow progression is now in the final stage of clinical testing. The Safety of Urate Elevation in Parkinson's Disease Phase III study (SURE-PD3) is recruiting people diagnosed with Parkinson's within the last three years. SURE-PD3 aims to enroll 270 people across 60 U.S. clinical sites for the two-year study. Forty-five sites are now actively recruiting. It won't be open long!

5 Replies

• To those people willing to participate in the upcoming CLINICAL TRIAL... I salute you ! You are making a critical contribution to making certain that drugs are safe and effective, that dosages are correctkand that side effects are thoroughly understood and investigated.

In December 23,2013

Michael J Fox announces: "Potential Neuroprotective Therapy Ready for Next Stage of Development after Michael J. Fox Foundation Funding..."

Here we are THREE YEARS LATER and we're now starting ONLY PHASE III testing ! Where, pray tell, is the URGENCY of this MJFF ? On the positive side, prospects for the future look good. The prospect for progression of my Parkinsons is not.

My question, Why should we heed advice of the medical establishment NOT to pursue taking this drug now - which is in the final stages of testing and is rapidly showing itself to be neuroprotective... and to wait patiently (while the inevitable progression of PD occurs)?

I am giving serious consideration to taking this drug on my own initiative. It is commercially available as a dietary supplement. Yes, the side effects are possibly getting kidney stones and gout, but I would request my physician to watch for symptoms of those problems and be prepared to handle them. Those outcomes can be addressed whereas inevitable neurodegeneration from Parkinsons is not.

I'm not in any way against Clinical Testing. However when drugs are showing themselves to offer a strong indication that they are neuroprotective, many people should consider taking them in advance of finalization of testing.

I am not asking physicians to endorse (or even suggest) taking this course of action. Instead they should offer their opinions and stand ready to assist in assessing outcomes and handling side effect. I know it may sound crazy to some, but I have this idea that "I get to decide" what happens to my body. There are times when patience is a virtue, and times when it is unwise.

Other opinions (especially from physicians... ) ?

If there are other people interested in pursuing a similar course of action, a "contribution" to science could be made by collectively gathering information on the outcome of taking this drug. I would be glad to be a gatherer of such. My email is

• This technique (its not really a drug, just a method for raising urate levels) has yet to be shown to help PD patients AT ALL. What's worse, there are well documented reasons to believe trying this is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Before going this route, please take a look at NAC (N-acteyl cysteine) and nilotinib.

There are some biochemical reasons to think that raising blood urate levels could be neuroprotective in PD. A preliminary trial titled “Inosine to Increase Serum and Cerebrospinal Fluid Urate in Parkinson Disease” has been done by a group calling themselves The Parkinson Study Group SURE-PD Investigators. This trial was /allegedly/ done for safety. It did NOT show any therapeutic effect. However, they did a futility analysis that showed that their data did not exclude the possibility that a future study *might* show an effect.

They raised the urate levels of 25 patients each, for 2 years, to produce “mild” (6.1-7.0 mg/dL) or “moderate” (7.1-8.0 mg/dL) serum urate elevation. According to this study, serious adverse events occurred no more frequently in test participants than in the control group. So they concluded this treatment was safe and they could get on with a larger study to prove it helps in PD. This study followed patients for a total of 100 patient-years. Here are the results of studies of high urate levels that followed patients for *thousands* of person-years:

Hyperuricemia and Risk of Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis

Seo Young Kim

"There is no universally accepted definition for hyperuricemia, but it is usually defined as serum urate concentration in excess of 6.8 mg/dL, which is the limit of urate solubility in serum … Sixteen prospective cohort studies representing data from 238,449 participants were included in the meta-analysis…. The pooled estimate of unadjusted RRs for stroke based on six studies was 1.41…"

A 41% INCREASE in the RISK OF STROKE for patients for what the SURE-PD investigators have labeled as MODERATE urate elevation.

Plasma Uric Acid and Hypertension in a Chinese Community: Prospective Study and Metaanalysis

”We conducted a community-based prospective cohort study comprising 7,220 participants …, who were free from hypertension at study entry in 1999–2000. During 4-year follow-up, 1370 men (19.0%) and 208 women (11.0%) had developed hypertension.

RESULTS: After adjustment for age, body mass index, and other covariates, the relative risks (RRs) of developing hypertension comparing the highest and lowest uric acid quartiles were 1.55 ….for men and 1.91 for women.”

A 55% TO 91% INCREASE OF RISK OF DEVELOPING HYPERTENSION in the highest quartiles. And what was the urate levels of the highest quartiles? For men, anything over 5.7 mg/dl. For women, anything over 4.5 mg/dl, LESS than the "mild" levels proposed SURE-PD investigators.

There is also data showing increased risk of kidney disease.

In summary:

There is NO data from human studies showing raising urate levels does anything for PD. There is abundant data showing that raising urate levels seriously increases the risk of stroke and hypertension. There is already stat sig data showing NAC helps, and phase 1 data favoring nilotinib. So don't mess with urate!

• Caution is wise. BTW I took a little inosine in supplement form for about a decade in the late 90s and early 2000s as I was trying to stay fit. I was also exercising and taking other supps and vitamins...etc. and I still got PD.

• Hi Buzz, the inosine trial is interesting because they think could be neuroprotective but the phase I safety trial doesn't say much about improvement to symptoms. What was the reason you took inosine? I thought it could only be prescribed.

You may also like...