Why is standing up and walking so painful?

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's in December 2014. I cannot walk very far because of pain in my legs and a general feeling of weakness and my knees are trembly. I have been blaming it on the steroids (currently on 6mg daily) which I take for my GCA, but have now come to the conclusion that it is a sympton of the Parkinson's. Can anyone explain the mechanism behind this? OK, I *am* 85 and it may be 'just old age', but *would* like to know what is happening. Any suggestions of treatment? I try to go a short (20 minuits) walk, ie around the block, each day, but am very tempted to just sit down and watch TV or read, with frequent walks around the room.

I have a weekly group hydrotherapy session, with a physio, and go to a weekly sitting-down exercise group, where we have a chatter and laugh while exercising.

5 Replies

• I have the same issue. Do not stop walking! If you stop, it get worst. My mother had the same issue and finally stopped walking and became bound to a wheel chair. You have to keep moving to maintain yourself. I know how easy it is to just want to sit all the time with shaky legs, but we have to keep going.

Good luck and keep moving to stay free.

• Trenny, your group sounds terrific! I know sometimes a walk can feel unbearable when your legs feel painful and weak, so I really applaud you for hoofing it around the block anyway. Do you use a cane or walker, and if not, would those help?

• Yes, both I and my husband have walkers!

• i had similar pain when i was on neupro patch, as soon as i started carbo/levodopa the smallest dose, the pain disappeared.

• This is very definitely the Parkinson's. The docs give it the understated name "stiffness" - more like crippling pain and contraction if inadequately treated. Are you taking carbodopa/levodopa in any form? Because that did relieve my "stiffness".

You may also like...