N-acetylcysteine (NAC) as therapy for Parkinson's Disease (PD) - anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried N-acetylcysteine (NAC) as therapy for Parkinson's Disease (PD)?

They recently completed a study on it: medicalnewstoday.com/releas...

"This study reveals a potentially new avenue for managing Parkinson's patients and shows that n-acetylcysteine may have a unique physiological effect that alters the disease process and enables dopamine neurons to recover some function," said senior author on the paper Daniel Monti, M.D., M.B.A., Director of the Myrna Brind Center of Integrative Medicine, and the Brind-Marcus Center of Integrative Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University. "

I do not know if there is a clinical trial out there for ongoings study of its effect on PD but wanted to check in with the group.

12 Replies

• It's been a PD essential for a couple years. Read about it and others at below link.

"N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is a precursor to the potent cellular antioxidant glutathione. In animals models NAC prevents dopamine induced neurotoxicity and protects against some of the damaging effects of alpha-synuclein proteins(Clark 2010; Jana 2011)"

• That link has the best summary I've seen on medicine/therapies for Parkinson's disease. Thanks so much for posting, Whack-a-mole!

• Agree, this is a great summary.

• Funny about the timing of your posting. I just started taking it YESTERDAY, and felt that I reversed my symptoms to where they were 2 years ago! I felt my left side again...I could clap both my hands together and feel that both hands had equal strength. Also, the nerves/muscles in my feet worked which made my limpy gait disappear. I noticed, as I went for a walk later in the day, that I could walk uphill without tight calves, so felt like Superwoman. Also, I could walk and talk at the same time, something I've had trouble with, maybe because of my breathing, not sure. Now, it may just be a strange one-off kind of day I had, so I can only be cautiously optimistic, but I am very excited to try it again today, and continually, to see if it is really true that I am so much better. I took 2 capsules (called vegetarian capsules) - one in the morning, and one around 2PM. (500 mg, "Natural Factors" brand).

• Wow, I am finding so much out through my own research and not through my physician. I am new at this and still gathering info. Love it if you keep us posted on how it goes.

• Hi p-oui,

Well, I have to be honest, my first day taking it was my MOST remarkable day as I mentioned in my post 2 months ago. The next day, I had major fatigue, (maybe a virus?), and since then, I've been fine, but for some reason started taking only one capsule a day, and it seems, at least for me, that only 500mg a day is not enough to have a noticeable impact. I will go back on two a day to see if it makes a difference and report back in two more months. Let me know how you are doing on it if you have implemented it into your regime.

• oceanflower, the study I referenced is trialing 600 mg 2x day. I took 1 600 mg in the morning and one at night. I started feeling quite fatigued and then a little nauseous. All this over a few days. So I quit taking it. Now I did go down to 1 capsule a day but doubted its efficacy. I am guessing you can stair step up to the dosage in the study but I need to reinitiate it.

• How are you doing on this . Any negative side effects . Is it for people who have had PD for a long time ? Please let me know . thanks

• I am in the process of trying it. NAC is extremely acid. Taking it as is ~3g/day reduced the pH of my urine to <=5 causing unacceptable irritation to my sensitive urinary tract. I will be experimenting with neutralizing, i.e. alkaline, substances to see what can neutralize the pH that does not interfere with efficacy.

My initial impression after a few days was that it seemed to improve my tinnitus.

• interesting, thank you for sharing the info.

• "Alkaline water has a pH of 9 to 11. Distilled water is just fine to drink. Water filtered with a Reverse Osmosis filter is slightly acidic, but it's still a far better option than tap water or purified bottled water. Adding pH drops, lemon or lime, or baking soda to your water boosts alkalinity."

That's right, start drinking a teaspoon of baking soda in water a day. It helps to shift your PH towards the alkaline.

Cheap, safe and effective.

Increased blood pH but not performance with sodium bicarbonate supplementation in elite rugby union players.

"NaHCO₃ supplementation increased blood HCO₃⁻ concentration and attenuated the decline in blood pH compared with placebo during high-intensity exercise in well-trained rugby players but did not significantly improve exercise performance."

Time course of blood bicarbonate and pH three hours after sodium bicarbonate ingestion.

"This study examined the increase in blood pH and bicarbonate concentration after ingestion of a standard sodium bicarbonate solution. Peak blood pH and bicarbonate concentration occurred between 60 and 90 minutes. Values decreased over the remainder of the ingestion period although still elevated above preingestion levels."

• There is a clinical trial of NAC and it looks like they are still accepting volunteers:

You may also like...