Does anyone experience Muscle Spasms of the throat?

I have muscle spasm of my throat. I can feel it going up my neck and then all of a sudden it is like glue and my throat closes and I can barely breath and suddenly I feel a pop as if it pops open and I can breath again I seem to have this happen occasionally and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I haven't choked on food and there is nothing in my mouth. I have been tested for choking with food and no problem. I do have Parkinson's disease with dystonia of the feet and calves.

11 Replies

• Hi Margie, my husband complains all the time that something in his throat all the time.

I suppose this is part of Parkinson's...

• I liken it to dystonia in the throat , it affects johns jaw and tongue as well .. do u find your jaw is tight stiff as well . difficult opening yr mouth

• oromandibular dystonia . try googling that . it affects John scummy as well . his big ties stuck up and his thumbs . usually worse after taking his sinemet .

• Thank you so much for the information.

• Have you gone for speech and swallow therapy? It's helped me a lot.

• I had something similar happen to me. I was eating my tea when, without warning, I was unable to swallow. At the same time, I was unable to get rid of the food in my mouth. Saliva, or similar, was filling my mouth and as I was unable to swallow, I had to spit it out.It stopped as quickly as it started. I did not panic and had no trouble breathing,

I have seen a Speech and Swallowing therapist and she was unable to find any problems,

• Thank you, I will talk to my doctor about it.

• Singing is good . Even when you might not be able to speak you can sing helps thtoat mouth tongue lips. . Lifts the spirits also

• and it slows me down as well

yhes singign is great for one;s sptiit a swell

• I was in a chorus group but I couldn't keep up and my voice goes into a whisper, so I had to bale out after 2 years of doing this. We practiced 2 to 3 times a week and performed nearly every other month. But thank you for your help.

• it on of Johns many problems , in fact the mental health consultant asked one day ..

John if there was one thing I could do for you to make you more comfortable what would it be . he slowly pondered and came out with stop the drooling control of my saliva .

he woke this morning with it , it will be the same all day .very sorry to say .

You may also like...