Shortness of breath after gallbladder removal

I had my gallbladder removed in Nov of 2012 and have increased difficulty in breathing with exertion since. If I walk too fast, climb a set of stairs, or just move around, my chest tightens, I begin panting and can't catch my breath. The center of my chest hurts to the touch and is tender, I can only sleep on my back. I have been treated with inhalers, which work for 1 - 2 weeks and the symptoms return full force, all X-rays are clear, CT scan is clear, echo-stress test shows the heart is fine but that I hit aerobic very quickly and my oxygen levels drop. All doctors say there is nothing wrong with me and can't explain why I am experiencing shortness of breath. This issue is ruining my life. Has anyone else experienced shortness of breath after having your gallbladder removed?

2 Replies

• Hi LW. I have not had my gallbladder removed, but my late wife did. She was unable to do very much afterwards because the operation was not a complete success. However! She did start to walk again, albeit not very far. She managed to overcome all the physical pain and discomfort with the walking and stuck to her guns until she was walking normally again.

Don't give in to it. If there is nothing physically wrong you should not be doing any harm to yourself. Keep a record of how long you are able to walk and don't do it every day, do it every 2nd day.

Good luck

• Thankyou John Pepper for your great attitude, compassion and encouragement to all.

You may also like...