Can a POSITIVE ATTITUDE help us deal with Parkinson's disease (Pd)?

When I was finally diagnosed with Pd, back in 1992, I was a beaten man! I was so depressed and demotivated that I am surprised that I ever recovered from that situation. In business, I had learned that having a positive attitude was the only way to succeed in life.

That was a very good lesson, because we are what we think, and thinking negatively always brings negative results. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

But how can being positive help us to overcome something like Pd. We know that we cannot win a race unless we think we possibly can. I think the same goes for any illness. If we think we are going to die, then the chances are that we will die. Therefore, using the same logic, if we think we can get better then the chances are that we will get better.

Not only am I not a doctor, I also am obviously not a psychologist. How the mind works is still a bit of a mystery to us all. As a layman I do know from personal experience that when I am thinking and acting positively, then most things happen the way, or nearly, that I had hoped. When I am negative about something, and I do sometimes feel negative about certain things, especially politics, then those things tend to go wrong.

Do you find that when you say positive things to the people around you, they react in a positive way?

Do you also find that when you are grumpy, other people are also grumpy to you?

Let us make our own lives more enjoyable, and the lives of those around us more bearable, by being positive about ourselves and pleasant to others around us.

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hear! Hear! I too believe positive thinking delivers positive results.

• Thanks bigmmama.

• There are many studies and examples from many fields that support what you say. Children perform up (or down ) to the expectations of their teachers. Athletes who start an event thinking they can win, can, but the second the think they can't, they do not. Cancer patients are more likely to recover using positive imaging in conjunction with treatments. The placebo effect in drug testing. Etc. If we expect positive results from ourselves, they can happen. If we expect negative results from ourselves, they will be negative. Thanks for reminding me of how important a positive attitude. is.

• Hi rch21. It was y pleasure! John

• Great John. A positive attitude has enabled me to accomplish so much over the last year in dealing with the day to day challenges of PD. Thanks for the reminder

• Hi firefly. Keep your head up and going! John

• Thanks for your message but do you take meds for your condition. I have been diagnosed about 4 months ago and hope to extend time of taking meds until as long as possible with exercise and anything else. Please let me know about when and if you are taking meds.

• Hi racerCP. I have not taken any Pd medication for the past 12 years! See my response to others on this question. John

• Where can I find your response? I am anxious to read it.

• I sent it off 26 minutes ago. It appears on my screen.

John

• Hi racerCP. You can access several articles on this HU site. Try EXERCISE, GDNF, MAO-b Inhibitors. If you would like to speak to me you can email johnpepper@telkomsa.net.

John

• I just posted about my interview with Leon, the moderator of my PD support group, who has had Parkinson's for 27 years and is in better shape than some of the newbies. His secret is related to positive thinking -- have a purpose (a commitment to broader life goals) and pursue it with passion. For more on the interview, see bit.ly/1iux9jz

• I just posted about my interview with Leon, the moderator of my PD support group, who has had Parkinson's for 27 years and is in better shape than some of the newbies. His secret is related to positive thinking -- have a purpose (a commitment to broader life goals) and pursue it with passion. For more on the interview, see bit.ly/1iux9jz

• Hi Gleeson. I found this very interesting. I don't agree on his medication choice but I am not him and he is not me. We are two different people and what works for him does not work for me. We must all go through the process of finding what works for us. We must not be scared to tell our doctor that the medication does not work, and stop taking it. We must NOT accept that the medication is doing us good, even though it is having unacceptable side effects. We should never have to take another medication to deal with the side effect of the first medication, especially if the first medication did not make any noticeable improvement in our condition. To the best of my knowledge, NO Pd medication slows down the progression of PD. So whether we take it or not, it makes no difference to the progression of Pd. I found that an MAO-b inhibitor, on its own, helped me, but that may not work for others.

Exercise is the only thing that has been proven to alter the progression of Pd!

John

• Hi John I have been on meds for 3 years and I have had my meds changed 3times the pain in my legs ankles and hips have been worse since I have been on 125mg madapar 4times a day and 183 mg premipexole would it take long to be weaned off this med the pain gets worse 45mins before.meds are due and then about 30 mins after before I get any relief my next app is in sept thankyou.

• If anyone needs structured help on becoming positive or sustaining. I am a life coach and could help you.

You may also like...