Has anyone suffered hair loss whilst on madopar and amantadine

I take 250 mgs madopar 4 times a day and amantadine tablets twice a day. Also I take 4 adcal ( calcium tablets) a day for bone strength. I did take alendronic tablet once a week but stopped taking it 2 months ago as I thought that was causing my hair loss.

As I'm still losing hair has anyone else had the same problem?

Last edited by

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi I take 2 x madopar 250 three times a day and amantadine 100 two times a day and have not suffered hair loss

• I've been taking Azilect (MAO inhibitor (b) for ten years, amantadine for about 4 years, madopar for about 6. I had very thin hair to start (genetic) but now have virtually none on top of my head. It's could wreck my confidencel - why do I feel ashamed of losing my hair? I don't feel ashamed of having PD? However, if I abandoned the drugs my life really wouldn't be bearable so I make the best of it. I could curl up in a corner but that would be a waste of the life I've got left so I've found the best approach is to be open about it if asked, make friends with a wig supplier - or even better a hairpiece maker , then be up front with friends and just put on a brave face. If you would like to send me a personal message I'd be happy to share more about coping with this little known side effect.

• I think your right. A wig is the answer!

• i TAKE 100 MG OF AMANTADINE DAILY PLUS MIRAPLEX AND I AM LOSING ALMOSST A

HAND FUL OF HAIR DAILY. I AM SEEING MY DR TODAY...

• Thanks for your reply. I'd like to know what your DR said. Mine said just don't worry about it cos stress can make it worse!.

• Hi Camper,

I have suffered hair loss (I'm taking Madopar) but I think I experienced some hair loss before I had PD (I've also got an under-active thyroid). It is very worrying. I don't know of anything that would really work, there are so many cosmetic treatments, I'm waiting for a miracle!

• Thanks for your reply. I think the answer is a wig!

• I have 2 already.

You may also like...