Parkinson's Movement
12,404 members11,021 posts

TMJ

I've had TMJ since my thirities - I'm now 51. I know there is no natural cure for this and wondered how other poeple cope with the condition? I can eat normally and never get any pain, but I get bothered if I chew a lot (ie popcorn or a bag of nuts) and it then starts to grate a bit. After years of having this condition, I just wanted to exchange my experience with others.

5 Replies
oldestnewest

I would talk to your dentist about getting a bite guard to wear at night. I've had one for 2 years and it solved the problem.

Hi Linella. Excuse my ignorance! What is TMJ?

John

TMJ stands for Temporal Mandibular Joint. Each of us have two. Popping and cracking in the joints is a normal part of aging. It is not considered a problem unless there is pain involved. This is my opinion after 30 years working on dental offices. Don't open that wide unless necessary.

1 like

I wear an appliance in my mouth that my dentist made. I wear at night to keep me from clenching my jaws during sleep. It has helped tremendously

I have Fibromyalgia, and have been suffering with jaw, ear and head pain for quite a while now. My dentist says that I grind my teeth a lot at night, and this is causing this pain. He believes I have TMJ and has referred me to hosp to have it confirmed, and have a mouth guard fitted. I am still waiting for this appointment over a month on, and have had the most excrutiating migraines.

Can anybody tell me if this mouth guard relieves ALL of these symptoms? I am really suffering with this right now!

You may also like...