Parkinson's Movement
12,720 members11,302 posts

Tremor makes shaving difficult-what is the best razor to use?

My tremor is such that I cut myself shaving virtually every day. Currently, I use a Bic 'sensitive' wet razor, but have been considering changing to an electric/battery razor. I have been here before, but found shaving and cleaning the razor rather difficult too. I would be grateful for any advice on what shaver to use when you have a tremor, including ease of cleaning, if electric.

21 Replies
oldestnewest

Go. Electric I had to ..

Thank you Anthony,

Regards

Norton

Hubby used an electric shaver or I would shave him. He finally ended up growing a beard.

Thank you wifeofparky,

Will probably settle for an electric shaver; don't think my wife is as tolerant as you regarding me growing a beard!

Regards

Norton

Same here. And he looked good with his beard!

I cut myself shaving this morning. I use a razor only at certain times; otherwise I am using an electric shaver.

~~~Dennis

Thank you Dennis. Yes, shaving is a pain. I frequently use a styptic stick. I have eventhought of using 'Veet' but have you seen the reviews on Amazon?

Regards

Norton

I use a Braun shaver. It has a self cleaning system and works well.

Thank you Mikehere, it looks as though I should consider a Braun.

Regards

Norton

I switched to a Braun too and like it. No as close as a Gillette razor but takes the issue away

I use a Braun electric. It was recommended by the repair shop when I brought my floating head Panasonic in. After 7 years; I would have to say it was a very good recommendation. It says not to clean with water, but I do every day and it still works great after 5 years of using water.

Thank you Wayne,

I like the idea of using water to clean the shaver head with.

Regards

Norton

My hubby uses a Braun, only shaves with a blade on special occasions. He uses nick-relief when he cuts himself. Sometimes I help by telling where he missed a spot, (I tell him the razor didn't work there) or help shave him on the hard spots.

Thank you cjsg,

There is no doubt that Braun electic razors come highly recommended judging by the response on here. I find myself increasingly having to use a nick relief stick, so now is the time to buy myself Braun shaver.

Kind regards

Norton

I agree that an electric is probably the way to go, but I love shaving with a sharp blade over my Carotid artery, It wakes me up!

So,I use an organic hair conditioner as a slippery preshave then a frothy Body Shop warm shaving cream for extra glide. Then I take baby strokes and double check my face in my wife's magnifying mirror for places the razor didn't see...

Hello DeParkiePoet,

You sure have an interesting way to get a close shave. Currently, I do use a mixture of oil and water for a wet shave, but I'm afraid my tremor is such that I need to go electric. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

Regards

Norton

Yes, electric is the way to go, although since DBS, I have regained some fine motor skill. I don't feel as though I'm going to cut my head off now.

Hello JHLambert,

Thank you for the confirmation re electric shavers. I am especially pleased that you have regained some fine motor skill after your DBS operation; long may you continue to improve.

Regards

Norton

Give Karmin a try.

I’d recommend the Karmin T7

(Y)

Mateo - Karmin T7 looks more like Norelco 4500. It is a rotary shaver - meaning in shaves in a circular motion so it might not be the best solution for TREMOR. In my opinion - Braun series 9-9095cc wet & dry shaver is the best option because it has smooth Optifoil. Check out this list for more suggestions. yosaki.com/electric-razor-men

You may also like...