Pain Concern
24,350 members8,219 posts

Collarbone pain

Hi, hoping for some help I’ve been experiencing pain in my right shoulder, collarbone and arm for a few weeks now and have just noticed a kind of swelling/raised appearance to my collarbone area.

I have already been to the gp about the pain but nothing was resolved and I don’t really want to be a pest and go back, does anyone have any idea what it could be?

20 Replies
oldestnewest

hi I get pain in those areas as well along with others but recently I was told its not arthritis so still in the dark as to what it is.

1 like

Sorry to hear you’re in the same position hopefully we’ll have answers soon

yeah even yesterday I seen a cat ready to pounce on a bird I was only feet away and went to throw a potato to scare the cat I couldn't even throw it and my arm just cracked and was really painful been like that for months along with shoulders.

Ask to be referred to an orthopaedic physio for a proper assessment.

4 likes

Thank you, I will

Try googling "swelling/raised appearance to my collarbone area". Then take the google results to the GP.

1 like

Thanks for the advice

It looks the same as I have had, I walked around with it for about 2 months as doctors didn’t know what it was. It turned out I had subluxed/dislocated my collarbone without any impact. I later was diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos syndrome (I had lots of other weird symptoms too)

But it could be something different as well , can’t diagnose from a photo but just sharing my experience. Maybe ask to be referred to a physio??

1 like

That’s awful! Thanks for sharing

Hope yours gets better soon

I’ve been experiencing that for 2-3 weeks now too. I’ve said more than once to my husband that I’d swear I had a broken collarbone, but I haven’t fallen. Mine is the left side, but no visible bump. Some swelling that comes and goes. It’s a mystery to me also. I wonder if it could be a side effect to Sinemet?

1 like

I feel like that too, I’m not too sure what could be causing it

You really need to see the GP again , if it is only pain you may benefit from physio exercises which can be done at home. But if its something else wrong you might need treatment.The muscles in the shoulder can get tense causing swelling if you are in pain, but we can't decide what it is only medics can.

Have you seen a Chiropractor?

2 likes

I haven’t no

You may just need an adjustment and they are not expensive. Insurance and Medicare pay most.

You need it checked out, possibly an XRay, however your GP needs to make that decision

You could try using some NSID Joint Cream or some fiery jack to warm the joint area, you could also try a warm compress, using a towel or the head of the shower.

If you are in the UK consider A and E, for check up. It may be a dislocation, have you been lifting or twisting neck spine or shoulder, get X Rayed

BOB

1 like

Thanks for the advice will get it checked out

Hi, You haven't said how this pain started... can you recall whether you were doing anything in particular before hand... like reaching out for something, doing any particular activity, lifting or bumping into something... possibly causing trauma? You could try ice packs to reduce the swelling and taking some anti inflammatory meds. You say you have a pain in your arm, but don't say where that pain is or whereabouts the pain in your shoulder is.

The shoulder is very complex, so you need to be quite specific when telling someone exactly where th pain is. It could be something to do with the rotor cuff. If your gp can't help, then seeing a physiotherapist could possibly pinpoint it by giving you certain exercise movements. As I say, without knowing exactly where your pain is, I can only tell you about my experience, which ended up being diagnosed as a torn rotor cuff.... it took ages to dianose and 8 months to heal.

Try this exercise... stand with both arms straight down with your palms facing your thighs.

then bend your elbows , bringing your hands straight up in front of you, so your thumbs are on the top and your palms are facing each other

with your elbows tucked into your hip all the time, gently try to move your right hand to your right..... make a mental note of where the pain/pains are.

If you experience pain in your forearm, around the edge of your shoulder and across the top of your shoulder, that may be an indication of a rotorcuff problem, in which case I would suggest physio.. but most importantly, rest and reducing the swelling is paramount.Hope this helps.

1 like

I have no recollection of how it started and haven’t suffered any injury recently. Just been experiencing the pain then noticed the swelling, the pain is in my collarbone where the swelling is the tip of my shoulder and upper arm, thanks for the advice I will try those out

You may also like...