Painful wrists and ankles

Hi, I am very concerned about my 30 year old son who has recently started to experience pain and 'cracking' in both his wrists and ankles. He has a very physical job and it is causing him difficulty. He is reluctant to go to the doctor at the moment as he is due to start a new job shortly and doesn't want a health issue on his record before receiving a signed contract. I appreciate that he is an adult but sure all the mums out there understand that you never stop worrying about your children whatever their age! Can anyone help please?

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yes, a mum's job of worrying is never done!

Because these joints are complicated with lots of bones and tendons, it is really only a doctor that can say what is going on. If it is interfering with his job and he his new job is similar, then wouldn't it also be a problem if he didn't disclose this? Tricky situation but if it is causing problems then he really should see a doctor just to make sure that what he is doing isn't making things worse.

• Thanks, tried to tell him this but of course can only advise!

Also forgot to mention that he has been a vegetarian for about two years and a vegan for the last six months. Have wondered if a mineral or vitamin deficiency could be the cause.

• Sometimes vegans can be short of Vitamin B12 and that can a variety of symptoms. Here is a good explanation of that: nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-v...

• Thanks, interesting reading. I know he does take some supplements so need to check this out.

You may also like...