Concentration lapse

I am 21 and have always been a very switched on individual. Two years ago, I was diagnosed with chronic pain. Only recently have i really got a grip on medication and physical treatments. One of the most frustrating things now is my inability to keep my concentration. Often my thoughts drop away mid-sentence and I find myself err-ing blankly as I grope for my train of thought. I think this is new, or I surely wouldn't have noticed it.

Is it an effect, or am I just human?

11 Replies

• Yes I believe some of the medication that we take have unwritten side effects and if you are on some of the harder drugs they can react with each other.

I have noticed a definite difference to my 'self' since taking (please excuse the spelling of the drugs) Amatriptoline, Clonazapan, Tramadol (when I was taking it), Gabapentin and Zormorph. they affect all my body from increasing my reflux (which I have to take something extra for- Lansoprasole) plus the paracetamols for a top up.

If you are on any tablets look them up and find out their side effects as 90% of the time there are different drugs that you can get that will have less side effects.

I really expect you are human but your brain is being shorted out by the medication you are taking.

Take care and kindest regards

• Chronic pain sufferers are rarely, if ever, pain free. You don't say where your pain is or what caused it.

If you are managing your pain at a level you are #comfortable' with then it could be the meds. However if it is higher than that level it will be on your mind both day and night. It will become all you think about and as such you lose concentration on the simplest tasks - especially the ability to think rationally and speak coherently.

That is why it is known as pain management - you learn to control your pain and not let it control you. Often eaasier said than done.

Together with pacing yourself, relaxation, exercise and meds you sgould have some better control over your young life.

Pat x

• if you suffer from Fibromyalgia this is an excerpt from NHS Choices - Cognitive problems ('fibro-fog')

Cognitive problems are problems with mental processes, such as thinking and learning. If you have fibromyalgia, you may have:

trouble remembering and learning new things

problems with attention and concentration

slowed or confused speech'

Hope this helps.

• I have brain cloud moments all the time and my noun recall is terrible. I have learnt techniques to cover up my noun recall and give me extra tie to think but the brain clouds are so debilitating. I am not sure it is the drugs or just that so much of my brain is coping with pain I really find my work difficult and normal daily tasks a challenge.

• Love to know what your coping mechanisms are. I now stutter a bit as I try to remember what I want to say and annoyed. Not on medication as I can't have any due to allergies. Having said that I am in pain all of the time. I am 71 but my IQ is over 180.

• Hi my name is Colboy I have been on pain medication since 2007 for back and joint pain I take a cocktail of medication for this sever pain and some days I have to take every day Zomorph 100mgs every 6 hours topped up with Paracetamol 500 mg every 4 hours at night I take 2 Amitriptyline 2 25mgs at 18.00pm then 2 more at bedtimeI aiso take blood pressure medication along with this Atenolo 50 mgl Doxazosin 1 mg Simvastatin 40mg Losartan 100mg so you could say I take a lot but if I miss a dose I know about it I can't do anything for the pain. I have never lost my ability to speak nor I dont forget thing I some times get very tired as I don't sleep well at night but I am happy with my Doctor and the way he looks after me no complaints. Hope this helps talk it over with your Doctor he may need to change some of you meds. Take Care

• I lost my concentration on pregabalin and I couldn't 'find' the right words anymore. It was really weird and frustrating. They didn't work on my pain so I was really pleased not to take those any more!

It sounds like you may have a meds problem. Best wishes

• Funny you should say that. My pregabalin doses are steadily increasing as pain management is a bit hit and miss. Due an appointment with my consultant so will bring it up. Thanks

• Hello BOB here

When in chronic pain it is always selective to that person. Pain medications will not stop pain, all it will do is suppress it.

If you are loosing concentration this is generally caused by the brain being overworked, it is dealing with your pain, also work problems , sometimes domestic affairs may also not been helping matters.

rough a period of

Generally I suffer from the problems associated above. We are also suffering from the medications that sometimes will cause memory lapses.

Over twelve months ago I was concerned with memory and concentration loss, I was going through a period of dealing with dementia and was concerned. I had all the tests done and their was a little ageing in the brain within normal paramiters.

Generally this is the case, I would advise you see the GP and have it confirmed.

The adage use it or loose it comes to mind

• Inability to keep concentration may be due to the sleep disruption that chronic pain causes. This particular problem takes time to manifest because it can take some time for the lose of sleep that chronic pain can cause to be recognised. You think you have made allowance for the lose of sleep and you may not have because lose of sleep can be subtle.

• Thanks for all your responses. They've given me a lot to think about and I plan to talk to my consultant about it too.

You may also like...