My Ovacome
10,302 members12,634 posts

HE4 Blood Marker Test?

Hi there ,

An oncologist advised me on Twitter:

"HE4 is the most sensitive blood marker for ovarian cancer. When combined with CA125 it gives a ROMA index. Add 3D ultrasound and that gives the most accurate screening for ovarian cancer currently available"

Has anyone else had experience of using HE4 blood marker? How did it compare with Ca125? I am interested to learn more about it.

Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays to all :)

L x

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi. I've just gone through my blood results and cannot see HE4 anywhere. On the biopsy report there's lots of things like "DAKO" and "PAX". Haven't a clue what they are. Mind you, it's all in French so makes little sense anyway. I had a CA 15-3 at the beginning with the CA 125 but onc said to ignore that, which I did. I have PET's (3D colour scan which can see individual cells and their structure so I've been told) every 3 months. Two and a half hours prep with glucose and nuclear waste all for a 20 minute full body scan. No food all day!! I feel faint by the end of it but at least the scanner is silent. Really interested in the ROMA. Tell us more if you find out anything else please.

Kryssy xxx

1 like

PET scans are good to see if cancer has shrunk and where it is.. I had a couple of them before surgery

1 like

Hi Kryssy thank you for your message . Hope you had a happy new year. Thank you for looking into it. I believe the CA125 is more common in the UK however, as my onc explained it can’t always be used to detect all types of cells so it more of an indication used with supporting scan results, etc. My onc would not allow me to have a PET scan...

I found out more about HE4:

medscape.com/viewarticle/71...

I believe it is more useful in detecting serous type - but we should all ask for the additional blood test as it may help raisie awareness... if there is demand.

L xxx

In the US the HE4 is used along with the CA125, but in the UK screening is limited by cost, so as the CA marker is a cheap blood test and in the majority of cases indicative of a potential cancer, they offer it to the those with a close family history. My cousin lost her Mum to OC and I (from her fathers side) have OC yet she was told this wasn't enough for her to be tested other than by a CA test every ten years!

LA

3 likes

Thank you Lily-Anne. That is very interesting... it is such a shame that the HE4 is not offered more broadly in the UK because of cost. I will be raising this to my onc. This doesn’t seem fair at all . L xx

Hi Lollie

As others have said HE4 is used in the US and it is also used in India.

When I was first researching OC I did look into it and found it is not licensed in the UK for oc. I think it is used in other cancers but I cannot remember which. One poster said it cost about £20 in India. Does not sound much until you multiply by huge numbers.

The most sensitive test also depends on the oc type. Some ladies the CA125 is very sensitive. For mucinous oc the CEA test tends to be more sensitive. ( it is raised in nearly 90% of cases) but no test is 100% and all can give false positives.

A definitive test for oc is greatly needed due to the often vague symptoms of oc.

I am sure I have read that HE4 is raised in about 60% of cases which is really not particularly sensitive. However I believe in the Tesco approach of every little helps.

Regards Fay

1 like

Hello Fay , thank you for your very thoughtful and detailed reply. Happy new year.

Interesting that its only been elevated I’m 60% of cases but i agree ... every little piece of information helps.

Lollie xx

1 like

would love to know more about it...will ask everywhere? ! C XX

1 like

Hello , i found this link... quite interesting

L xxx

Would love to know more about it...will ask everywhere! love C XX

not heard of it. be interested to find out more.

1 like

Take a look at this: suggests there's no gain

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

1 like

Thank you . This must have been influential in the decision in cost versus benefit in the UK.

Looks like its not as effective on epithelial cells.

You may also like...