Will to survive

I just have returned to the blog and wanted to post some words of encouragement. Diagnosed nearly 7 years ago and after a total gastroectomy following stage 3 cancer I now am grateful to be here leading a normal life and can even put on weight now. Can eat as many chocolates as I want and more or less do whatever I want. It wasn’t like this in the early days but with b12 and iron energy levels are quite high for a man of 62.

Don’t give up ......just keep onwards and upwards.

Bless you all

Brian

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Brian

What a great post. Thank you and great to hear you are doing so well.

A question:

Did the eating chocolates cause you issues in the early days (reactive hypoglycemia)

And.

Did that just go away all of it's own?

Bruce

• Yes the chocolate was a problem early on as was energy but I feel my body has adapted and overcome

Plums are my one downfall or orange juice in the morning otherwise ticketyboo.

I find it difficult to do a three course meal due to not having a stomach and gaseous drinks can also be a problem.

The first 2-3 or so years I was like someone 20 years older. To be honest chemo has put say 5 years on me but I’m still fit and healthy so I can’t complain.

So when they said you’ve got one year they were obviously completely wrong, medicine is not a complete science and also they will tend to exaggerate on the negative side as if things don’t go to plan they don’t look too silly !

Best wishes

Brian

• Thanks Brian for this wonderfully uplifting post.

Here's to your continued good health.

AM x

• Brian, wonderful words of encouragement and you've been so poorly. I had an oesophagectomy just 2 years 2 months ago; your words 'onwards & upwards' say it all really. I have days when I wish I hadn't had the surgery but that passes. I work full time and have always been a good walker so I walk the Race for Life and walk fun runs whenever I can. I'll be 60 in February and your words have just made my day.

Bless you too Brian and thank-you x

• So good to know you are doing so well, Brian. Congratulations!

My husband, now 82, is also fine 6 years after his op., some arthritis notwithstanding. We know we're very lucky.

But I know from this site that not everyone has made the recovery to a good life yet, and I'm just sending thoughts of sympathy and encouragement to all of those.

Happy new year, and thanks to you all.

• Wonderful encouragement

Keep up the good work

Cheers to a happier future!!

You may also like...