I've written at length previously about my case, but just to sum up, I had a total gasrectomy on April 4th for adenocarcinoma at the junction. Post op pathology indicated T3 N3 M0 (17 out of 19 nodes involved) and an R1 resection - margins clear apart from the circumferential margin. Not the best result I realise. Worse still, it was indicated that preop ECX had no effect on my tumour (despite my swallowing improving greatly)
Anyway, my regular oncologist was off long term sick and my locum told me I was incurable and prepared me for CX + herceptin starting next week. I must admit I was a little concerned by this as if the chemo had no effect pre op, why would it suddenly be effective post op, but I was keen to get started on the herceptin.
Last week I had a 3 month post op ct scan which has come back clear and met with my original oncologist yesterday. I have to say I really trust this doctor, much more so than the locum who I felt was not 100% confident in what he was talking about.
My oncologist has indicated that he doesn't want to start post op chemo for the following reasons: my scan was clear although there is an extremely high chance I have microscopic disease; I look and feel well, as healthy as I've ever been since my early 20s actually; the chemo had no effect before the op so he feels that he would just be giving me chemo "to make me feel better" rather to have any effect; he doesn't want to use up one of his main bullets too soon.
So, I've left the appointment yesterday feeling pretty uplifted (he's good at that!) with the plan to watch and wait. Contact him if (when?) I develop symptoms, and failing that meet with my surgeon in 3 months, scan early December before meeting with oncologist again mid December.
However, having slept on it last night I guess I'm pretty concerned and looking to see if anyone else has had an experience like this. One minute I'm uplifted that I'm getting the chance to get on with my life, the next I feel like I've been sent home because there's nothing they can do (he absolutely didn't indicate this to me but the mind works in funny ways I suppose).
One thing he did say was that he could offer me more frequent scans without a problem but the anxiety etc that I experience while going through this process isn't worth it and he is happy to listen to what my body is saying rather than constant scanning "just in case". If I feel any symptoms or concerns he will scan me within a fortnight of contacting them.
How does this sound to those of you who have been through similar journeys. Would anyone request anything different in my position?
Advice/experiences gratefully received.