Oesophageal Patients Association
3,675 members2,214 posts

Why does my throat burn at night?

In the past month my throat has started to burn around 1 am. At first I just ignored it, then it started to get worse. I've tried looking on the Internet for answers, but I couldn't really find any.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

AnthonyDean I'm no expert but I'm having the same doc gave me omeprazol for reflex acid it may be different for you so if I was you I'd go see your doc x

1 like

Ok thank you but the thing is I'm only 12 so I don't know if it is bad or not

You should never take any medication unless it's of your own doctor. Take care x

1 like

I know thank you

It might be something that you ate that repeats on you. Lying down at night means that the gravity lets the acid in your stomach (that we all need for healthy digestion) is a bit more likely to flow up into your oesophagus, the food tube between your throat and stomach. Reflux every so often is probably not a problem, but if it is a regular thing and getting worse then it must have a cause of some sort. There are things like Gaviscon that you can take. If it makes a difference that will give the doctor a clue about the underlying cause.

Do you eat late at night?

It might be worth logging what you eat and drink in a diary in case some sorts of food set it off more than others.

Are you able to swallow OK and food go into your stomach, or does it feel as if it is hanging around in your chest area?

I can swallow but I don't know if it feels like it's staying around my chest

I think you would feel heavy in the chest area if this was happening. So I think it comes down to making an appointment with the doctor.

Anthony at your age I had much the same thing. Burning in my chest which was called heartburn or indigestion. I had it in the middle of the night as well. I don't remember it being as high as my throat but it was very uncomfortable and unpleasant.

Your doctor will explain but it is absolutely nothing to worry about if you keep an eye on it. It is as the posts here say something that can be treated when it occurs by for example an alkaline drink like gaviscon which will neutralise the acidity .

You may find the valve that keeps the acid in your stomach is occasionally loose and allows fluid up your oesophagus , your gullet/ food pipe.

The fact you are reading all these posts and have searched the web indicates you are anxious about this! This is a totally normal and understandable reaction I was too at your age but when you see your doctor he will reassure you that this is easy to sort out , quite common, and not a sign of anything dangerous.

Do let us know what your doctor tells you best wishes

You may also like...