Has anyone, post esophago/gastrectomy ,suffered from D&V as a result of food poisoning ?
I was advised that owing to reduced or even zero secretion of Hydrochloric Acid from the stomach remnants the normal protective mechanism of acid sterilization no longer existed.Therefore there was a much greater risk of infection from contaminated food.
I was also advised that vomiting might be extremely dangerous since it could result in rupture at the anastomosis (The point where the pulled up stomach tube is grafted on to the esophageal stump).
For these reasons I very seldom eat out in restaurants ,would never risk 'street food' and have never set foot on either a small boat or a large ship.
I wonder what has been the experience of everyone else ?