OCD-UK
2,273 members587 posts

So over it already

Anyone able to or know of anyone who was able to get over a stuck thought and intrusive thoughts and be able to concentrate and be present in life again. I just exist, repeating 3 safe words in my head all day. Anyone cured by or know someone cured by a certain medication or something? I feel so confused and cannot focus on what I want, I feel like if I could focus it would solve most of my problem, I know I don't want these thoughts

19 Replies
oldestnewest

I am ocd big time. I obsess over everything. Most of the time my mom will tell me I need to chill and that’s not important. Well if I’m having this big of a reaction to something it’s obviously important to me! Often times as my obsession shifts I can look at the situation and realize I may have over reacted. I can’t control it at the time but I keep a proof journal. I keep a journal of obstacles I have overcome. Then if a similar situation occurs I can look in my journal in my words and see that it isn’t as bad as I thought and I have proof that I will be okay. It’s very common though. Trying to come to some kind of resolution to the problem helps. Is it something you can change? Change it! If not then you have to try to accept that and find ways to cope. If you can not fix it what will happen as a result realistically. I obsess if I make a mistake on paperwork. I can’t accept it but I can rewrite it. I’ve learned to get extra forms and do the first in pencil. Then carefully copy it in ink if needed. If I mess up i start over. This enables me personally to feel much better about the situation and resolve the anxiety associated with it. That is how I have learned to cope. Rationally on most papers it would not make a difference to anyone but me but it matters to me. I have pretty perfect handwriting out of necessity to me. I keep a ton of various pencils and pens etc and if at all possible I will type proof read correct mistakes and print. Many people think I’m crazy but it bothers me. Sound silly? I think it does but my reaction is severe. So I’ve learned to cope. Diuring panic attacks I walk or pace and have been taught that having a mantra to repeat for comfort is very good. I get an overwhelming feeling of needing to go home so I say I want to go home. My safe place. Sometimes. Except that most of the time I’m already home. I’ve learned to pray and usually say please God over and over. The feelings are very real so it’s perfectly fine! Learning to cope etc is the solution. Journal. Write it down and read during good times when you can look at it from a different perspective. My examples are to let you know you are not alone. I’m learning to cope. Mom thinks it’s silly but I have to work around it. Having extra copies and doing it in pencil first helps to reduce the obsession and anxiety. I have the problem. I evaluated it and found a way to change it so I don’t suffer. It’s still there. I’ve just taken some of its power by controlling it. I hope that helps! Mantras are helpful. Everyone has random thoughts whether you have anxiety or not. They just let it in one ear and out the other. We stress over it! Best of luck to you! Normal is only a setting on a dryer. Our similuar yet unique qualities are what makes us each beautiful in our own ways!

1 like

Thank you so much for taking the time, you are so kind. As you can see from my other posts im pretty hopeless

Best you see a therapist. As advice right now, try to ignore the intrusive thoughts and concentrate on something else. If you keep using the 3-words compulsion, sooner or later it wont work - well its not working too good now anyway. Just let the thoughts go and focus on what you are doing in reality. The thoughts are not reality.

As a cheap alternative, use two words, then one, then none - if you suffer too much anxiety with letting the thoughts go altogether right away.

maxs

1 like

sorry I replied to the wrong post.

You are so kind, but I can not focus in reality, no matter how hard I try.

Carry on doing what you are doing in real time when you have an intrusive thought, which you should ignore, or at least dont perform compulsions, i.e. dont respond to it.

Probably wont work the first time, but if you persist, you may gain a bigger interest in what you are doing in reality and gradually the thoughts will lose strength. One step at a time - its a long way back from the hell of OCD but its doable.

Maxs

1 like

Best you see a therapist. As advice right now, try to ignore the intrusive thoughts and concentrate on something else. If you keep using the 3-words compulsion, sooner or later it wont work - well its not working too good now anyway. Just let the thoughts go and focus on what you are doing in reality. The thoughts are not reality.

As a cheap alternative, use two words, then one, then none - if you suffer too much anxiety with letting the thoughts go altogether right away.

maxs

1 like

I appreciate it, really but i feel so hopeless, the words are pretty much automatic at this point. I feal like im in a nightmare all day, stuck between stuck thoughts and feeling braindead if that makes sense, no concentration, confusion, im so horrified that theres no way back

There is a way back - OCD is treatable. Whats Inward OCD? Pure O?

Looks as if the short cut for you is to drop 1 word. It will work as an antidote just the same ;-) Half a word? - come on you can do that. :-)

be well

Maxs

1 like

I so appreciate your positivity but without the words all i have otherwise are the stuck thoughts, i can eat, and still communicate but cant concentrate or remember anything, it gets harder and scarier everyday. Make sense at all?

I see a counselor and I have maybe one of the worst cases of inward ocd

ok I know what is an inward OCD. Its a kind of pure O against which one does mental compulsions, correct ?

You have go to start from somehwre and incur anxiety probably as part of the process - stay with the stuck thoughts,m they will b lose strength if you dont perfom mental compulsions. May take may a bit of time and the improvement will be gradual, but this is the wway it works. Just let them be, they are not real, focus on reality . Or reduce your compulsions.

Be well

Maxs

1 like

Thats correct, it sucks life out of you, i feel like i just exist

You are not hopeless. None of us are. You just need motivation to hope for something. That is the hard part. Believe me I know! I want the reaction without taking the action! I wish you well. You probably wish yourself well. That is hope. You may not think you’ll get it but you probably hope you would.

1 like

I remember listening to Shannon Shy’s story about a month ago, he said he’s at a point now where his ocd rarely effects him at all. Don’t lose hope, we’re all in this together, and I believe you’ll get through this.

1 like

Thank you, its really nice to wake up and see this ♡

Can I ask though, is it normal to have a bad memory, no concentration, and have one main horrific stuck thought like glue? If I dont have words going thru my head its as if im braindead, make sense? Do i perhaps have tourettes, that scares me too. Schizo, my thoughts are so disorganized. I forget stuff all the time and have been referred to neurology. Im so scared, people say they have intrusive thoughts, i used too for about 4 yrs but didnt realize it until i hsd a breakdown now i feel brainblocked if that makes sense and a constant feeling comes and goes that ill forget everything. Im severly depresssed. I feel like im just going braindead

I think it’s pretty common with a lot of people, I’ve experienced a lot of these myself, I’m not sure if I’d say it’s schizophrenia, my guess would be that it’s ocd manifesting itself in different ways. A lot of times my mind just runs all over the place, and I’ll have to get it back in check. I’ve been severely depressed myself this whole year since getting laid off from my job.

1 like

I lost my job too and thats when it all spiraled out of control. Sorry to hear and thankyou

You may also like...