High risk??: Are people with RA and biological... - NRAS

NRAS
28,035 members32,747 posts

High risk??

Maramara
Maramara

Are people with RA and biological treatment a high risk category for corona virus?

18 Replies
oldestnewest

If you put coronavirus risk in the search box there should be lots of posts about this.

Hi if you do not hear anything by the 29th march phone doc for advice ,I'm confident lots of high risk are being missed and some are vulnerable, and you may have to make your own judgement call ,but doc should advice if you do not rieviece a letter or tex ,there is charts and gov websites etc ,that's fine but everyone who is high risk should have been informed by sat, it was to simple for them to leave all this for gps to tell us ,strangely but not surprising a member today on post got informed she is high risk and only on methotrexate

pmcc
pmcc
in reply to Ajay575

The latest guidance (for doctors but worth reading is here) rheumatology.org.uk/News-Po...

If you look at the risk stratification and scoring grid links the info is now very specific and depends on drugs taken and co-morbidities. I have moved from being High/Very High on previous guidelines to being Medium, risk score 2.

The guidelines give isolation/shielding advice but it's not clear which of these groups should be on NHS vulnerable list 1 only? All 3? I'm guessing it might be important in the next few weeks as shops/services might move to using your NHS text/letter as proof you are vulnerable. I've submitted this question to Fb live session for this afternoon.

Ajay575
Ajay575
in reply to pmcc

Yeh that's wot I was maybe thinking specially if you work ,and you decide yourself to shield if you do not get a letter ,a member posted she is only on methotrexate but gotvtokd she is hi risk ? ,all this oukd have been handled better ,will look at your link thanks

Kerensa21
Kerensa21
in reply to Ajay575

Know what you mean ajay; I’d only score2 ? on one of those yet got told recently by rheumatologist stay in for 12 weeks/high risk. Easy for me & safer anyway but feel for those working

Ajay575
Ajay575
in reply to Kerensa21

Yeh it is a nightmare and confuseing ,a member today got told high risk and only on methotrexate?,these letters you may need for proof as well ,the link from pmcc is very good and the reply also ,and it can explain some of the confusing, yeh same here if not working we can make decision, 4 days for me the now struggling 😊 ,you can imagine 12 weeks ,and even the 3 weeks the now for some

Kerensa21
Kerensa21
in reply to Ajay575

Yeah ajay; I was pretty much isolating bar blood test anyway. Lucky to have phone consult but rheum said didn’t matter whether letter or not as he was telling me stay in for 12 weeks. Hope others get more clarity soon; N Ireland letter was more specific, someone posted it here.

Ajay575
Ajay575
in reply to Kerensa21

That's good and clear from your rheum ,and he knows best ,

Ajay575
Ajay575
in reply to pmcc

That's a very good link and updated thanks ,it talks about vulnerable and complex needs as well,,

Ajay575
Ajay575
in reply to pmcc

I only use phone cannot put this link up ,it would be very useful information for members,

Maramara
Maramara
in reply to pmcc

Who gave u this scores? How can I find out too?

Hi Ajay

I rang my doctors yesterday about something else and enquired about the letters while I had them on the phone . I was told bluntly they come from the government 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m on Rituximab and stuff I’ve read said info would come from the day case units database in that case..but I haven’t a clue!

If you feel you fall into the shielding group but have not received a letter by the 29/3 you can still register..it asks some good, specific questions and asks for your hospital number/NHS number too.

It all seems to be a bit of a minefield..all we can do is wait and see.

Stay safe all of you x

Yeh will do that on 30 th if no letter ,I'm sure I'm not high risk although even that is confuseing , just with everything all comeing from diff areas ,the gov data base hope they do not mis people,,I thought gps would have been best too ,pmcc s link is good reading ,will do the register thanks

I think some people may get missed without causing any alarm! But, that’s why it’s good you can still register if no letter and feel you fit the criteria. I think I’m borderline to be honest but may just register if I don’t get a letter too.

Me too 👍

Hi all, hope everyone is ok.

I have received a letter today asking me to stay in for 12 weeks.

I am 45, on 15mg of methotrexate & 2 meds for high BP.

FYI

I have not yet received a text or letter, so emailed my GP and rheumatology Department this morning. I have not heard back from Rheumatology Department but got an almost instant reply from my GP. He phoned me to say that as far as he is concerned I am in the highest risk group and should be shielding, but the letter will be sent from the rheumatology Department. I score 3 points when I do the scoring test, as I am on Rituximab and 5mg daily of prednisilone as well as other meds that don’t score

Lolabridge
Lolabridge
in reply to Jewels94

Yes I'm exactly the same but no letter yet. My Rheumatology department are sending them out but not done all of them yet. Plus my surname begins with W so I'm used to being the last to get anything.....

You may also like...