chronic neck, shoulder and upper back pain: hi, I am... - NRAS

NRAS
26,231 members30,066 posts

chronic neck, shoulder and upper back pain

hi,

I am having quite bad pain at the moment. I am on fluoxetine for depression and amitriptyline for the pain.

amitriptyline makes me feel very groggy during the day but does help with sleep has I suffer insomnia. but it causes me weight gain

has anyone used any other antidepressant to help with pain and depression.

I prefer one that does not cause weight gain but helps with sleep.

I have heard duloxetine or venlafaxine are quite good.

anyone with any input on my question be it good or bad would be very welcome

20 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi everyone is different I do think venlafaxine is better in the long term and more effect .I would not touch amitriptyline for the pain more a sleeping tab although does get giveing for pain best take that a few hours before bed only for sleep and try get a pain killer for through the day. All through gp of course thats would be my preference .no sure about the weight gain though

3 likes

hi, thanks for your reply, do you take venlafaxine. does it help with sleep, pain and did you get any side effects

Venlafaxine Hi yes but it does not help with sleep or pain and is only prescibed for mood side effects been ok but may be different for yourself with weight no sure worth a try . amitriptyline should help with your sleep. If trouble with sleep and meds not working you could ask doc to come of amitriptyline and try trazodone for your sleep only take at night .and some painkillers through the day

hi, thanks, you have been very helpful

Good luck it can take a good while even years to find the right meds and balance some times a good few with low doses etc good luck anway a d with your sleep issues maybe concentrate on a sleeping tab for night only so your not sleepy through the day with your sleep issues it will have a knock on effect with pain etc during the day

1 like

Sleep. If only

I get this, memory foam pillows help, wide strap bras, all these doesn't fix but helps, bean bags you can heat up and put over your shoulders is ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

all helps!!!

1 like

thank you veronicaF, I have a panda memory foam pillow, in fact my bedroom has many pillows I have tried, I also have an electric heat pad x

I have been taking duloxetine for bout 4 years .I believe it has helped the pain.also I actually lost weight when I started on it.

1 like

many thanks for your input x

I was put on Amitriptyline ...... just for for pain.....might as well been hit over the head.....I didn’t sleep & it didn’t help with the pain but I felt “away with the fairies”.....I certainly couldn’t drive.Tried it for three nights .....decided it wasn’t for me.

I don’t know anything about the other two drugs you mentioned.

Maybe have a word with yours rheumy nurse, these days they are very knowledgeable about alternative medication.

Hope you get some help soon.

1 like

thank you

I also take 100mg of Valentin every night for my neck pain.

Sorry gabapenten

what is valentin please

ok, thanks

Hi. I take duloxetine and lyrica for my fibromyalgia. I got that diagnosis several years before lupus. They do help tremendously with my sharp pains. The lyrica is for nerve pain and is stronger than duloxetine. I hope this helps. Feel better soon. Not sure about weight gain, I don't think so. I gained 20# in 3 weeks taking Chantix to quit smoking. From the med, not from eating or any desire to quit smoking. Its a rare side effect so know that everyone's bodies are different and what happens with one, may not happen with another. Good luck

1 like

thank you

I'm sorry your in so much pain, I do zumba and very gentle dru yoga and I find it helps tremendously with pain relief . I have to adapt the moves or not do some but it works for me perhaps it .might work for you.

thank you x

You may also like...