Mtx with chest infection: Started Mtx yesterday but... - NRAS

NRAS
26,766 members30,692 posts

Mtx with chest infection

Jaxine
Jaxine
11 Replies

Started Mtx yesterday but woke up with chronic chest cough, it's going around all my family! I tried to ring Rhumey help line but itsbonly available between 9 and 11 am 3 days a week! Dont expect some poor sod to be manning the phone 24/7 however what if I have a problem on the other 4 days! Or can't get to the phone before 11 am on the others!! Anyway only advice I want is should I not take Mtx if suffering from bad chest coughs, soar that etc? Only my first day taking it!

11 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
Hidden

As you won’t be taking it again for another week I would see what you are like next week when you come to take it. Mtx takes a few months to work so one dose wouldn’t make much difference to your immune system I would think. I’ve been on mtx a long time and have never been told to stop taking it when unwell but I know others on here have. I’m not medically qualified so this is only my experience and what I would do. Someone else might be able to give you more info. Look after yourself and I hope you feel better soon x

Jaxine
Jaxine
in reply to Hidden

Has it helped you? Do you have RA? I've was diagnosed yesterday so early days for me. I've just had this irrational fear of taking it!

AgedCrone
AgedCrone
in reply to Jaxine

As Kitty says...if you took Mtx yesterday You won't be taking it again until next Monday will you? By then your cough should be well on its way out......have you left a message for the Rheumy nurse to get back to you......that is usually the best way to contact them?

You probably won't feel any relief from the MTX for 2/3 months, so try not to dwell on waking up each morning feeling "different".

Thousands of people take Mtx...hundreds on here do I'm sure & the majority thank their luck stars it is available to them.

Hope your cough gets better soon....do try to relax, keep your fluid intake up,& this time next year you will wonder why you got so stressed.

1 like
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Jaxine

Yes it has helped me and I’ve had no side effects other than the early nausea. I have RA and now take other meds as well as the mtx as it was no longer under control. I too had a fear of taking it after reading up about it but I’ve long since learnt to not look into stuff too much unless you start to get problems. Everything is very scary 😊 A lot of people on here seem take mtx for various AI diseases. You’ve taken your first dose so you’re over the first hurdle. I hope it works for you.

Gnarli

I was told that if I was on antibiotics I should not take MTX but each rheumy has their own way of doing things. I've been on it for two years now starting at 15mg and rising to 25mg. I swapped from tablets to the automatic injector, metoject, last year and the dose has been dropped firstly to 17.5mg and then up again to 20. Yes, my joints ache a bit in this cold damp weather but otherwise I'm fine. Wishing you well

J

2 likes
weathervane

Hi jaxine , my son is on methotrexate and has had a sore throat and bad cough for several days , he wad adviised to see gp who said it was a virus and it will clear itself though if it lasted another 3-4 days to see him again. Not much help but at least he knows his chest is clear . I think you should see your gp as well and get checked out , get well soon .

Grumpling

Hi Jaxine, I’m on methotrexate, I’ve always been told I should check my temperature when I have an infection and if its high or I feel very unwell I should call my GP. The first year I took methotrexate I had a very bad chest infection, I called my surgery to ask if I should do anything. The doctor called me back within 10 minutes and put me straight on antibiotics. I was told not to take methotrexate that week and if I felt no better in 3 days I was to see the doctor. I never call my rheumatoid doctor, I’ve had 4 different doctors in the last 5 years. Not very good.

1 like
Bluepegasus

Sorry you're not feeling well Jaxine. I started MTX before Christmas and am feeling a bit breathless. I take my temperature if I'm worried and so long as it's normal (meaning I have no infection) then that's fine. If I had a temperature I'd phone my GP and ask to be seen asap. I'm not medically trained - am feeling my way at the moment and haven't been given a helpline number anyway so this is only my way of dealing with it. Do hope you feel better soon.

Joy_1

Hi

I have been taking MTX for a couple of years now and it has given me my life back. So 3 cheers for MTX from me!

I had an awful chesty bug last Oct or Nov - can't recall exactly when. I came off my MTX for 2 weeks as I could sense I was heading into chest infection. Have had a chest infection twice so recognized the signs. When I had a routine appt with the Consultant tail end of last year she said I had done the right thing.

I have come to really dislike this time of year with all these bugs floating around.

Joy

1 like
Jaxine
Jaxine
in reply to Joy_1

That s fantastic to hear, seriously, any positive stories is great for me right now it beams the light at the other end.

marie66

It’s helped me so much and if I feel a bit low I look at the pics of my big swollen unusable hands just to remind me how far methotrexate has brought me! It’s not brilliant but it’s way better. In the three years I’ve been on it I’ve stopped it three times - twice while on antibiotics and once with antivirals for shingles. I do get sick around injection day but the benefits far outweigh any side effects ((hugs)) M x

You may also like...