Gabapentin

Does anyone know much about gabapentin? I've just started on this as I was advised that there is evidence to show that recovery post jaw replacement is better for people who have been started on gabapentin pre-surgery. Also, I have neuropathy which is getting worse and I'm awaiting a neurology and pain clinic appointment. Anyway, I googled side effects because it's making so tired and I saw that it only works in about 14% of cases for people with neuropathy. I am now wondering if it's even worth it? I emailed my maxillofacial surgeon but he hasn't got back to me. I won't be able to see my GP for a month or so as work is manic. I don't know if I should ride through the fatigue because it's early days and might help. Any thoughts please?

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi! I took gabapentin long term for neuropathy until it no longer worked for me. It was a number of years. I had no side effects except it made me sleepy at higher doses. So much so that I could not function at a dose that was enough to control the neuropathy having been on it for years. It's a pretty common drug and if you search this site you will likely find many references to it. I have come across some people who had bad side effects but as I said, I had no serious issues.

Best of luck to you!

• You had major surgery so this wacks the whole body have you used a wheat bag heat to sooth .if you work the jaw day after day then post op neuropathy sounds power to the cause.....

Gabapentin has been used by me for many years initially for temporal lobe migraines and then spinal nerve pain I take around 2400/2800mg daily. Has been my good companion...chronic fatigue a hanger on.

Hugs to all

• I took this drug for lower back pain but it made me sleepy, gain weight, constipation and didn't touch the pain so I stopped it.

• Gabapentin did not suit me. I now take pregabalin for neuropathic pain and its been a miracle drug! 99% pain reduction. Does make me tired and dizzy so i tend to take 150mg 1 hour before bed and just 50mg in the morning.

Good luck xXx

• I have been on it since 2014 it dies make you tired but you do get used to it I find I need to take a nap in the afternoon. Get your iron levels checked I had my checked six months ago and they were extreamly low and this is why I was so tired. Gabipentin masks the symptom to age it does not cure all what's wrong does that make sense so aids your recovery because you don't feel so bad for you don't feel the symptoms

• Hi, I took gabapentin for 4 months and I gained over 2 stone. I couldn't take anymore weight gain from it so came off it. I'm hoping the weight comes off again. I also found it didn't actually do alot for my pain xx

• It's like almost all the drugs it has side effects and risks but some people think it's great in the end it's the usual decision between you and ur doctors about balancing risks and side effects.

• Hello, like most on here all Gabapentin did for me was leave me that I was unable to get off the sofa to begin my day. I was like a zombie.....it was prescribed to me as a nuralogical pain relief. Can't say that it has done me much good as I have a lot more activity on the right side of my jaw where as before it was all mainly on the left side. I know it's not an anti inflammatory however.

I had a very severe full body flare about 6 weeks ago and I was taking huge amounts of the drug. Also got a steroid injection from my Rheumy nurse and am on 5.5 mg of Prednisolon. To be honest with all that I really couldn't say what brought me out of theflare and reduced the pain.

Like yourself I have increasing problems with my jaw. I was diagnosed 5 or 6 years ago and I have had jaw problem from the very beginning. I would really love to know how you got on with the jaw replacement as this is where I'm heading. If you can I would love to hear your story on how you ended up getting a replacement. All the best. J

• I haven't had the replacement yet, sorry if my original message was unclear. I've had the metal allergy testing, now I'm awaiting a response about funding. I'll have a CT scan to make the prosthesis and then a 3 month wait as the joints are made in America. I might be having another surgery done in the mean time to clean up some inflammation but again, still waiting....!

If you see anyone, you have to see my surgeon. He's one of the best in the country. It's a serious operation with very big risks, so you need an expert who does them weekly, not someone who does them occasionally. There are only 3 surgeons in the UK who are qualified and do them regularly. I know people go with less experienced surgeons but there is no way, I'd allow someone that close to my facial nerves (hearing, sight, face moment!!) unless they were the best! Subsequently, I am left waiting a while and travelling a while too.

Message me and we can talk more xx

• Thanks for your reply. I'm in a bit of a rush at the minute but I will Message you later on. The only thing I've been told is that I will have to go to Kings in London for the pre-ops and for the procedure itself, I live in Ireland. So I'm sure I'll be getting someone who does this thing regularly. Have to go, I'll get back to you later on. J

• Thank you all for your replies. I will hang in there a bit longer and see how it goes.

• My nan was someone who trialling gabapentin many years ago for trigeminal neuralgia. It controlled her nerve pain for a time (jaw pain). It made her very sleepy x

• Hated gabapentin!! Made me like a zombie!!