Mobility scooters

My mobility is getting worse and my health (non RA stuff) is not good. I just can't do longer journeys any more. Detailed research has found that you can get very lightweight mobility scooters that would fit in my smallish car.

I'm hesitating though. My main issue is that I'm 27 years old but look about 19 on a good day and anxious about what people think. I'm also slightly overweight (although actively trying to lose it!) and I'm worried people will look at me; young looking and a bit fat and think I'm just lazy. People keep saying it doesn't really matter what strangers think but it matters to me. :(

19 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Crasdoll,

I fully understand you, though I am 56 years old, I have RA for over 20 years. I have had surgery on my wrists, feet and hand for RA. I am a metal man haha😜.

I also have a pacemaker for more than 24 years. And RA related lung problems.

When I first started to drive a mobility scooter I felt if everyone was looking at me. Specially when I stood up of my scooter and went for example in a store. Short walks can be done. It took a while when I though to myself, what the hack, I am the one who needs it, and it give back my freedom. So from that moment I didn't care at all what one would think of me. When some gives bad comment, which is very rare by the way, I say, shell we Exchange person, so you get my illness and additional problems? So I will be able to walk as far as I want, and you not and are depenting of a mobibility scooter? Most times they turn red in their faces.  

I have a big one and a small one which fits in the car. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. It's my new pair of feet! And I ignore stupid people. Their are more than enough people who love me, and who i love.  So I understand your feeling completely, but look at the benefits of it. Of course you are so young, and that it matters to you what other people say, however sooner or later you will have to deal with it.

So go for it sweetheart,

With lots off love and a big hug. And have a Nice Easter with lots off eggs!

XxxBas from the Netherlands.

• Hi Crashdoll I have so much respect for you coping with all of this at your age xx. I think we all feel strange using things for the first time. I know I felt really conspicuous using a stick for the first time. On the whole I find people to be quite respectful, there is always the odd person but that,s life. I don't take any notice of people on mobility scooters apart from one person who nearly run be over on the crossing!  I think if I saw a young person on one I would be more inclined to think what a shame it was for them.  If you feel this is right for you then try not to worry, people are sometimes kinder than you think. You have to put yourself first. I have seen the ones that go in back of car they are very useful x xx 

• At 20 we worry about what others think of us; at 40, we don't care what they think of us; at 60, we discover they haven't been thinking of us at all.

Bob Hope

You go for it girl and to hell with the rest of the world is what I say! 

All the best

Ali

• Oh Crashdoll,  only self proclaimed geniuses  who have nothing better to do with their lives will judge you as lazy....You are young. Do not allow anyone to bring you down. Get your scooter and enjoy your life. Keep loving friendly people close to you and ignor idiots.

I'm going to tell you a true story:

My daughter's 20 year old friend was dumped by her boyfriend and she was so upset and depressed because he told her she was ugly. I gave her a hug and told her I was so proud of her for not having the looser in her life. My attitude? Why waste your time and youth on an idiot?

So... too make a long story short, Crashdoll why waste your time and youth on opinions of loosers?

• Two years ago I found myself in a similar situation although older than you at 47 it was still a big step.  You have to think about you not everyone else.   It saved my sanity, even just riding around home and meant I could still go out with the family.  It does not help when we look as if there is nothing wrong.  Do physically try them out first as they all have different seating positions and there are several types of controls.   If you have a local shop mobility centre it is a good way of trying them in a shopping centre.   Also a good showroom will let you dismantle and try in your vehicle - there are parts of them that are fairly heavy and difficult to handle.   There are times you can get yourself in a pickle and try to take some shop fittings with you!!    Many shop assistants were more sympathetic/helpful when I was on the scooter than walking slowly with or without crutches.  Farm

• Hi Crashdoll,

I am 57 yrs old and have a scooter that will fit into the car.It only takes a few minutes to assemble and take apart and is vital for me to be able to get around.

However,like you I am very self conscious about using it.I will not use it in my local town as I do not wish to bump into people I know.My husband drives me to a town approx 28 miles away so I can use it with less chance of meeting folks I know.Family and friends say that I am missing out on doing some of the things that I could be doing if I used it locally but the point is iI don't want to.I am sure the day will come soon enough when I gave to concede defeat and do this but not yet.

My husband does the shopping in the local town and sometimes I am happy to go along and wait in the car.When we are away on holiday or breaks I will use it then and I am not bothered what people think.There is a genuine reason for using it.I gave sometimes had comments from people like "I could do with one of those,be easier with my bags" but I have learnt now to just ignore them.I admit it did bother me at first.

As time has gone on I have become a bit bolder where I go now and I too am a bit podgy.Lack of exercise due to immobility-vicious circle isn't It?Do what you feel comfortable with,you don't want to cause yourself any further stress when it's not necessary.

Bassie is right and I should also listen to his advice so maybe we should go for it and to hell with the others.

It really is mind over matter-

People that matter don't mind and

People that mind don't matter.

Have a great Easter and let me know how you get on.

Crusee

• One of my daughters works in a Shopmobility unit and when I used to struggle to town I would call in to have a bit of a chat with her.  I would sit there watching some of the clients picking up their scooters/power chairs.    I was shocked because I realised that I was in a far worse state than most of these clients and so I decided to try a scooter out.  It was a revelation !!    I could actually get round the whole shopping centre instead of just the tiny bit I was used to struggling round on foot.  

I have now bought a powerchair with a hoist in my car and it really has changed my life.   I never go on my own, someone has to accompany me to carry my shopping etc., and because I have a very severe hearing loss I would feel very vulnerable on my own

Please don't worry about using mobility equipment, it is a means to an end and a great freedom giver to anyone suffering constant limiting physical pain etc.

XXXX. Lynda

• Definitely go for using a scooter.  In some ways being younger means that people are more likely to realise that you have a fairly bad disability if you are using a scooter than if you were a bit older.   I wouldn't buy one straight off though - try out the shopmobility ones first and see how useful they really are.  Then if you do want to buy one, go to a proper mobility supply shop and get their advice and try out as many different ones as you can.  The very lightweight ones may just not be up to the job for you.  Also, I'm not sure how much overweight you are, but all scooters have user weight limits, and remember that includes the weight of your shopping as well.  The lighter scooters will have much lighter user weight limits.   The smaller ones also can be far less comfortable to sit on and use.  The other thing to watch on scooters is the hand controls - some of them require far more of a grip than most folk with RA can manage.   

• My advice is get a four wheeled one as they don't tip over as easily. Also it doesn't matter what people think,but i know how your feeling,as i think i am 20  even though i am 60yrs old my head still thinks its 20. You need this so go and get one as you have said you need one.  Deck it out if it helps you. I have a big one in the garage for when i go out on my own and at Christmas i deck it out with lights and tinsel. |We i am not going to grow old gracefully.lol.xxxxxx

• Hi Crashdoll I can so relate to what your going through! I'm 30's but look 20's and am constantly being doubled chkd  at the disabled parking bays by the traffic wardens, I once asked for a scooter in a super market and lets just say I won't again! 

Ppl say things like 'oh you look young and fit enough what's wrong with you?'

Even my family and friends are a little funny when i've mentioned I can't cope anymore and am considering a mobility scooter for longer trips.

I'd say do whatever you have to do to be comfortable and at the end of the day we need the help so go get it! And good luck with your scooter search x

• Just think of yourself as a para-olympic athlete! No-one thinks anything the less of them!

• Hi crashdoll as far as light weight mobility scooters,I have just bought one which can be taken apart to get it in the boot of our car.i only use it when going out for the day, I try to keep as mobile as I can,must admit that I feel conspicuous when I use it even though I'm 61,mind you it does come in handy when crossing roads most people will stop to let you cross more easily. I hope you can loose your anxiety and enjoy more freedom that it brings. Mind you when my hubby set it up one day when we were in Manchester he didn't take the lock off so the first time I had to turn it I was still going forward he kept telling me to turn it and I couldn't,he started to get a bit annoyed with me plus everyone was looking at us. He eventually realised what was the problem and very sheepish he turned the lock off. I still remind him from time to time and always make sure he gets it right lol 

• Thank you for all your kind and supportive words. I wish I could reply individually but I'm just too exhausted tonight. I wanted to express my gratitude though. Xx

• Just hold your head high and go for it. One thing I have learned in this dreadful year is carpe diem....seize the day!.....to hell with what anyone else thinks!!!                                  Enjoy your freedom! My xx

• Thats M xx.....hate predictive text

• Hi Crachdoll.

I have had RA from when I was 50 and about 3 years ago I had to get a scooter for the same reason (I could not get about any more). If I was you I'd just get one and to hell of what other people may think your live and independence is more important, and if you fell uncomfortable about it as I did why not do the same as me and get a reg plate made for it mine is OLD 61T the effect of this people stop me and ask if they can take a photo. It's a great way to then just say (I have RA) it also makes a lot of people SMILE.

So just go for it and don't let RA control you you control it by doing as much as you can.  

• Does not matter what people think. Do what is best for  you. I have been non walking using electric wheelchair, walking with a stick and now struggling with my "dancing wheels" soon be back to the scooter. I dint like it but life is so much easier. Take care xx

• The best lightweight scooter on the market is from Germany called Travelscoot.  It weighs about 12kg +/- and costs about £1800 + VAT depending on exchange

• Sorry, I forgot to add that my brother, who had MS, has been using one for about 10 years now, and he says he feels he's more on a level with 'normal' people, as he's sitting up higher.  You do have to learn to use it well, as he said he fell off a few times at first when going round corners.

You may also like...