Muscle inflammation

I've just come back from my GP and I'm feeling a bit tearful. I went with muscle weakness that has persisted a good few weeks. GP was a bit worried when examining me. She's asked me to go to the hospital for urgent bloods and contact my rheum to ask for an appointment ASAP. She suggested that I have inflammation in my muscles which can be associated with RA but is unusual in people my age (27). From my job as a social worker for older people, I do know a bit about this, but still feel quite surprised. I declined steroids, opting to wait until I had spoken to rheum, as they negatively affect my mental health.

Has anyone else experienced this? Was it well managed and easily, or has it been a long-term condition for you? Over the last few weeks, my mobility has been poor, so I'm desperately hoping this won't be a long-term thing.

Thanks in advance.

12 Replies

• Hi, I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling so poorly recently. Give our helpline a call on 0800 2987650 or email them at as I am sure they will be able to talk you through what to expect. Hope this helps.

• HI crashdoll,, I can't offer any advice just wanted to say feel for you & sending you a cyber hug X

• Hi Crashdoll, sorry to hear you are going through this, let us know how it goes, sorry can't be more help but hugs to you xx

• Really sorry to hear you are so down. Hopefully by the time you get this you will have been able to speak to someone from the helpline and are feeling a bit les stressed. .

I can't decide if you are already being treated or not but if the answer is not, then if it's any help I too had an urgent appointment to see a Rheumy, I was surprised but my doc said that was because they like to get you as early as they can. ((( hugs)))

• Thank you, all. I googled a bit and got so panicked at every reputable site suggesting that I will need to be long-term (1 to 2 years!!) steroids. Eep! I have now decided that google was not doing my head any good.

I couldn't get through to rheum nurses but left a message and hope they'll get back to me soon. I suspect they can't say much until they have my blood test results.

I've decided that whatever happens, I'll learn to cope because that's my only option. ;)

• I really hope your ok and have seen someone by now.

• I'll be thinking of you, hoping for positive outcome and speedy recovery for you xx

• I can not offer advice, but my thoughts are with you

• Hope you get more information soon, and treatment is speedy and effective. Thinking of you. Mavis x

• Hope you get seen quickly and have a good result. Try not to worry. X

• Oh no you poor thing - hope your rheumy nurse phones back and you are fast tracked to see your team ASAP. Try not to panic because GPs aren't experts on anything and you might find that it's something which responds to a short dose of steroids or a one off injection or resolves by itself.

We all read up when we have unusual symptoms. But last time I did this I had actually misunderstood what my optician had said and learned that what I thought I had only affects people with MS. Then I got copied in on his email to my new GP a week later and discovered it wasn't what I'd thought. What a waste of emotional energy that was!

Really hope your worries prove groundless but I'm sure you will deal courageously with whatever life throws at you as you seem to have done so far.

Twitchy x

• Thank you for the supportive replies.

I've got a bit more information; apparently I have 'proximal myopathy' which has numerous causes, many of which are not sinister at all. If my ESR is raised, they will diagnose Polymyalgia Rheumatica and I will need steroids. I nearly fell out of my chair because I assumed it was only for those who are older. If I don't have a high ESR, I will be seen in clinic to decide if I want to trial steroids anyway or if I need more tests.

I feel so much happier with this plan. It has been agreed that, either way, I don't have to take steroids without a long discussion with a medical professional that I trust.

You may also like...