NRAS
22,495 members26,217 posts

Rheumy visit with the consultant..

Rheumy visit with the consultant..

Good morning everyone, Hugs to all who need it. Yesterday i went to see my consultant. Well it was interesting to say the least. Well it seems that my RA is steady,but it is the fibro and CFS is a different story. He has said that all he can do is control the pain. He can't do anything for the fatigue so all i have to do is pace. He has told me to take co-codamol every four hours and one tramadol as well. To say i was dumb struck is putting it mildly. He says the pain in my shoulder is caused by my walking stick,bearing in mind i have been using the stick for nearly six years without much trouble. He is getting me a lung ct scan and some ot on my hands at least something is being done. He said he can't do anything about the sweats that i get with the fibro. What he didn't say was that it was all in my head at least. To say i was stunned is a understatement. What i think he was saying is i am going to be in pain for the rest of my life and i will be unable to do anything without suffering. Is that a life. I am not a quitter,but boy i understand why people take their own life. I am lucky in that i have a lovely hubby taking care of me. He knows i wouldn't take my own life thank goodness. He is taking great care of me and he would me sooner sit here doing my adult colouring than push myself to do things. Now i have to accept that this is my life for the rest of my life,i don't know how i will come to accept this,but i will and i won't let this bugger beat me.

Have a lovely day you lovely supportive people.Thank you for listening to me moan.xxxxx

PS. this is my offering of my adult colouring. I hope you all like it.

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Have you ever tried changing your diet? I have found that very helpful and can tell you more if you are interested. I also have regular acupuncture and see a chiropractor. And swim and do my best to keep as fit and supple as possible. Have lived with RA for almost 40 years so have lots of experience!

Until the last 8 years I was coping pretty well without drugs, having been given so many over the first year after diagnosis ( I had had 2 weeks in hospital as onset was dramatic) that I had an allergic reaction, and need emergency treatment to save my life. So then started exploring alternatives to conventional treatments, which has kept my ESR and CRP very low. But things gradually deteriorated during a stressful period 8 years ago, hence the need for first MTX and now Biologics, all of which I had very much hoped to avoid. But needs must!

3 likes

Its not the RA causing the problems,but the fibro and chronic fatigue. I do watch my diet and in the process of losing weight. My vege is natural as we have allotments. Swimming i always loved,and i should get back to it,xxxx

I have also been diagnosed in the past with chronic fatigue and eliminating certain foods can help.....its trial and error though to find out which foods should be avoided...probably the ones you like best!

3 likes

I would be very disappointed in a doctor that told anyone they were fit for nothing and that for the rest of your life they would need waiting on....they should always encourage you to live your life...so glad that he didn't actually come out and say this to you!! Good luck for losing weight...exercise however hard and however much you don't feel like doing it....will hopefully help. Good luck to you 😊

1 like

He was lovely with his words darling and he wasn't bad looking either. He only said what i have known all along,it just needed someone to say them. How i come to terms with it and manage it i will have to give great thought too. I already have many coours in my hair and i have my nails done with lovely colours which is my way of saying you won't beat me. I will get through this one way or another. It is just hard at the moment. Thank you for your words.xxxxx

5 likes

Bless you....it always helps when you're doctor is quite handsome....I know though I have a great lady consultant who I got to see by accident but I ask to see her every time now....there's no way I would want to change...she listens to me but also doesn't take any messing from me haha!!! Good Luck Sylvi...love your colouring...these books are becoming popular for relaxation etc...there's some nice Xmas ones coming out now too. Xxx😊

2 likes

Well, I know it's not what you wanted to hear Sylvi but at least he was kind & I suppose you can't ask for much more. Do take your co-co's & tramadol bob on four hourly, they work on the pain far better if you keep them topped up. Swimming must be good exercise too, gentle to begin with, no trying to break any records! Hugs from me. x

Ps you've more patience than me, my colouring in would be all over the place, pleased you've found something that keeps you sitting down. x

3 likes

Hello some of the things we end up taking as normal for us would make a saint cry but sometimes it dose get a bit too much so keep your chin up and carry on with the colouring I do it too it keeps the fingers moving doesn't it ,love you picture x x Dawn

2 likes

Oh my lovely variegated lady, this is not moaning. This is statement of fact, and your grief is important to me. So is your life. You know I understand the the desire to just stop. I also think that you will find ways to do the things that are important to you, though perhaps you may need to sort out what is most important and let some things go. It's not easy, I know. I'm still finding ways my brain doesn't work properly since my last stroke. You don't have to do it all at once, and figure it all out right this moment. Now is what we have, yes? My now sends your now hugs. xxx

P.S. I think your colouring is lovely, and I think you're a terrific photographer, too :)

4 likes

Thank you darling, i have to stop asking Bob about my eyes all the time as they won't change,its little things like that for a start. Not moan as much about how my life has gone. Start pacing better than i have been will be a start. Colouring helps me no end darling as it keeps my mind focused.

I can't believe a lovely lady like you has had a stroke,but i know like me you will fight back and not give into this thing that has gripped your body darling.xxx

3 likes

Hi it is a lot to get to grips with even though it is something that you have thought of. Have you ever thought of asking your gp for a referral for emotional support? My husband is wonderful but sometimes I don't want to talk to him about the dark moments because he then worries but talking about them makes me feel less alone. Thank goodness for this site.

P's I must lead a sheltered life. I've never heard of adult colouring . First thought was that it was something to do with adult mags. Lol!

2 likes

It is colouring books for adults and it is so much fun to do. I don't have to think and i can sit and do it as well and there are so many books out there for you to choose from.xxxx

You are certainly allowed to rant, but, as you say, you will not let the bugger beat you. It is so insidious this condition, it will try and get you when you are at your lowest, but just tell it to bugger off. Your stronger than it.

Glad your hubby is so supportive, I bet he is just glad to have your lovely face there with him, so be strong for him. Loads and loads of gentle hugs. Babs x

1 like

:-) I spent my evening colouring!

I'm sure you know that as hard as it is being positive is important in the battle against pain.

I Hope you find your balance between pace and life. sorry you are experiencing so much pain though.

2 likes

You may also like...