I was put on celecoxib when I was diagnosed in 2009 and found it to be effective in managing pain. In 2014, my GP surgery called me in and asked me to have some tests on my heart as celecoxib can be associated with heart problems. Everything was fine and my rheum wrote to the surgery stating that my risk was higher than a healthy person but still low enough to not need to come off the drug. Regardless, my GP surgery refused to continue to prescribe and I went onto naproxen. My GP said this was much safer. It appeared to be working for me with no side effects, so I've carried on in my daily life.
I saw rheum nurse last week who was so concerned, that she rushed into rheum's clinic and asked her opinion. They have now decided that my dose is too high and I'm putting myself at an increased risk of a stroke and heart disease. They asked me to drop the dose and see if I can manage. I'm barely managing as it is! I've been referred for another ECG, more bloods and a lung function test. I should mention that I have been very short of breath over the last 8 weeks, so I can see the concern but it's very unlikely that, at the age of 27, I have any heart or lung problems.
I am quite confused really because I seem to be getting different opinions at different times. First, I'm told that my heart risk is low, then it's a worry. Rheum and GP surgery don't seem to agree with each other and certainly not at the same time. I would like to be able to make an informed decision about taking NSAIDs and their risks, both short and long term, but I can't seem to get a straight answer.