Arthroscopy recovery time

I've had an arthroscopy before but it was in combination with an open surgery, so I am unsure of recovery time. I am due to have a bilateral jaw arthroscopy in May. I asked my consultant how much time should I plan to take off work and he said "oh, don't worry, not long!" which is good but not very helpful for my employer!

They are going to try to manipulate the discs back into place (eek!) and that may cause pain, so I'll be given pain relief which I assume will make me drowsy for a while. I read online that you shouldn't drive for 48 hours after a general anaesthetic, so I was planning taking 2 days off (day of surgery and following day) then planning to work from home for the 3rd day just in case I'm not feeling at my best. Does that sound sensible?

Thanks in advance. :)

2 Replies

• Anyone please?!

• Only had knee arthroscopy so not really any help. The anaesthetic will probably take as much out of you as the actual treatment. Trouble with our sorts is that there is usually something else which materialises when things are looked into and I don't know about you but I believe I take longer to heal than a 'normal' person. If parts are going to be moved areas are going to be swollen and painful for a few days? Drinking and eating may be affected which makes you feel crap as well. Farm

You may also like...