Intro

I didn't introduce myself!!! Oh dear.

So I'm Nerfertiti. I have smoked since I was 22 years old. I'm turning 40 next year. I want to change some things about my life. Smoking is one of them. I've struggled with quitting plenty of times before but I really really enjoyed smoking. In the last few years, I have openly advocated for smoking. That's how badly I needed to smoke. I think that the odd pro-smoking stance was a result of feeling under immense pressure to stop and resenting that pressure.

Anyway, the last 30 days I've been living in a foreign country. Lots of drinking and smoking for me. BUT the brand I usually smoke isn't here. In the middle of a brand crisis, I get a revelation! I'm not addicted to cigarettes. I'm addicted to the nicotine in cigarettes. You would think I knew this before but frankly my brain hadn't really figured it out.

Since it's a nicotine addiction (and not me enjoying smoking), then I will not smoke again. And if ever I need nicotine, I better go for it directly like any other drug. After all, I don't want to be a drug addict without even knowing it.

I've read lots of posts and this site is really helpful. Thanks everybody!

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Nefertiti :)

You've got your mind in the right place for this - you see smoking for what it is, feeding a drug addiction and that really helps!!

Good luck and post here when you want :) We'll help you through!!

• That is so true about the brand of cigs if I ran out on a night out and there was only Marlboro to smoke I would go without.

Lol I was the opposite, didn't care what brand it was just wanted a fag!!

Well, except Pall Mall, they're minging even for cigarettes *blech*

However I do have one problem I love the smell of ciiggies and fires etc.

So struggle when Im out I followed a man this morning got side tracked walked right past my house.

So if anyone can help with that prob would be helpful.x

That's something that comes with time usually Debbie :)

In my last quit I *loved* the smell so much, then a couple of months in noticed I didn't any more. This time I hated the smell from the start (probably because that's what prompted me to quit in the first place?) but seeing someone smoke when i can't smell it makes me fancy one.

• I do hope so Gemma I cant go around following smokers that's just WRONG !

Lol, I did that on my last quit :p

• Thanks, y'all. No following smokers around. I honestly can't stand the smell. It looks soooo good when I see people light up on TV or in real life. I won't lie. I just posted an update on Day 3. Argh...even when I know I am just craving the nicotine rather than the ciggy, it is still really really hard.

• Thanks, y'all. No following smokers around. I honestly can't stand the smell. It looks soooo good when I see people light up on TV or in real life. I won't lie. I just posted an update on Day 3. Argh...even when I know I am just craving the nicotine rather than the ciggy, it is still really really hard.

You sound like me :)

But I haven't smoked for 7.5 months even with naff-all willpower so you can do it!!

You've just got to hang in there and ride it out I'm afraid, it does get easier!!

You may also like...