Role Models for Ex-Smokers

I think I just found my second role model:

easyquitsystem.com/blog/lar...

After reading that, it really insiped me. Good old Larry! He quit at a similar age to me and smoked for a similar time to me. From what I've read, he was also a heavy smoker. And he's a great 80-year-old anti-smoking advocate! :)

I just soooo wish that there were other great examples like this. The internet is full of examples of people who have died (often very young) from smoking, but none of people who smoked a long time, quit, and went on to live to a ripe old age. Does anyone know of any? If so, please post them here-- it'll certainly help with motivation. :)

Of course, my first role model will always be my dad: he quit cold turkey around 30 years ago!

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • "Stress is bad for our health too do try not to dwell on the what if's. Instead embrace the fact you are trying to look after your future in the best way you can - by quitting. "

I couldn't agree more with Karri. Really.

We are all fragile, we are all mortal. None of us know what is around the corner - my dear brother (a never-smoker) was carried off suddenly a few weeks ago by a brain tumour he had no idea he had. Some heavy smokers have lived to a ripe old age. Some people who have had a few fags in their teens have been killed by lung cancer. It's a lottery, we just don't know, and fretting about it is completely counter productive. Constantly berating ourselves for past mistakes is depressing and futile.

What we must do is value the life we have, while we have it, without deliberately abusing our bodies and putting ourselves at risk. And this is what you're doing, Legs. So hold your head up high, look at how you've turned things around in your life, be grateful for what you have, be proud that you're taking control of a nasty addiction, let go of the fear and move on. You CAN do this!

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength."

Helen

PS - I'm sorry if I sound like I'm preaching, really I don't intend to. It's just that I recognise myself in your posts, and I feel strongly about this stuff!

• I can understand your thoughts but like everyone else we have no idea what the future holds thank goodness, other than hopefully the fact that we will continue as non smokers.

I also know lots of people that have reached a good age who where smokers my Mum included she lived to be nearly 78 but died of lung cancer, I could have thought well that’s not a bad age I could smoke and maybe live as long if not longer than she did because she smoked much heavier than I did and ready mades, but the other way to see it is she could have quit and lived to be in her 80s with a better quality of life.

It was my choice to quit and I wish with all my heart that my Mum had done the same, there are many people that I now meet who have COPD, they are not massively old but one thing I know for sure is that they will NOT make old bones, they will also not have any quality of life when they get older, there are more and more people walking about with this terminal illness and for some it’s too late to turn back time.

You on the other hand have that chance so please don’t throw it away, you may not get another.

The first step on the way to victory is to recognize the enemy (nicotine)

I love this man’s quotes they are so thought provoking.

• "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength."

What a fantastic quote Helen. Just the inspiration I was looking for on Day 39.

Big thanks,

Sue

• I have been astonished this week at how many people I know who are giving up. I published a Facebook status announcing my 12 week quit for the first time and was surprised at how many people popped up and said they had quit and I never knew about it. Led me to thinking, was it an age thing, you know, coming up to 40? I don't think so as some of my friends are much older and have recently quit. Is it cost, are we more health aware, or is it the the smoking ban that finally pushed us to consider quitting? I know personally I always said I would quit before I got to 40 to give myself the best chance of a healthy retirement when I get there. My OH summed it up when he said, we've had our fun, time to grow up now and start thinking about looking after ourselves. I suppose we all hope we've stopped in time, but as long as we stop at whatever age it's the best thing we can do. Some people I know have stopped in their late 50's and still seen massive benefits. One friend stopped at this age just as she was diagnosed with emphysema, stopping saved her life and she enjoys a relatively healthy retirement. I think we have to take our role models from people we know. Just a final thought, hasn't Johnny Depp given up with e cig, and also Ewan McGregor with hypnotherapy? Just a couple of well known ones I can think of who set a good example. xx

You may also like...