Beginning of day 4 but no easier......please help!!

Will this get any easier, This is day number 4 of being smoke free, im soooo proud of my self for giving up, i went from a 30 a day, 17 year habit, to absolutely nothing!! ive not done too bad but it doesnt seem to get any easier, cravings are worse first thing in the morning and last thing at night, ive got patches but the cravings for cigerettes are so over powering, i have kept strong and i havent given in to the EVIL cravings but its HARD!!! And want it to get easier before i cave and crack, as i DONT want too smoke anymore! please help before i lose the plot!! xxx:confused:

Quit Date 22:30 Sunday 9th January 2011

Approx: 4 days 0 hours 52 minutes

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hey Sammy, I'm on day 2 so I can sympathise. What's working for me right now is I keep saying to myself 'it's one day at a time'. I've got to keep it in small chunks in my brain, forever seems too big to handle right now. I talk back to my gremlins (crazy, but fortunately no-one around to hear), walk around the house, take deep breaths and play computer games. That last one is good for me because it absorbs my thoughts and stops me thinking about the evil weed. Also, I'm not going cold turkey, I've got a patch on and I think that helps. Gawd only knows what it would be like without that little crutch!

• Hey Brandy, thanks will try a few of those suggestions, will just have to stay strong as most of my family smokes and so do most of my colleagues at work :mad: lol, luckily my husband has always been a non-smoker which helps a lot, but on the down side he doesnt realise how hard it is!! well done on day 2 though, keep it up!!:) i also speak to my demons, found myself telling them to p*** off earlier, but was in a shop in town (oops) not good,:o lol, am hoping though with this forum it will help a great deal. And i totally agree about taking it one day at a time, just dont know when its going to start to get easier:mad:

Sam

• Withdrawal Symptoms

Have looked up some withdrawal symptoms, hope it helps you guys and me!! :) well done all, keep it up!!!

Sam xx

Actual Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms

These are temporary and aren't much fun. You might get none, some, or all and more!

•Your mind will play tricks on you and try to dominate your thoughts. Mood swings, loneliness, lack of concentration, emptiness, agitation, stress, anger, self-pity, and just general crankiness might happen. These psychological symptoms are explained more in Side Effects of Quitting Smoking.

•Headaches or a general heaviness. This is a classic smoking withdrawal symptom, often caused by your sinuses clearing out.

•Shaking, sweating or feeling very cold.

•Coughing, hacking, runny nose, wheezing and shortness of breath. Seems strange to get these when you've quit, but your body is ridding itself of years of tar and built-up residues. In other words, at last taking the opportunity of having a good clean-out.

•Insommnia is common. Well, it is stressful to quit and break your normal patterns. As with all stress — good or bad, sleep challenges can surface.

•Sour stomach or stomach pains. Your digestion might get out of whack for a little while.

•Pains, pains, pains. Some smokers get stomach cramps, sore gums, pains in chest... pains anywhere. Your mind and body are going through a healing crisis and they are going to remind you of what they are missing.

•Tiredness and a general zapped feeling.

• hey sammy i feel your pain..it is tough i know!! it will get easier in time..we have smoked for a long time and it is engrained in our brains so give yourself a break. my tough times are right after lunch and dinner!! it sucks but i keep reminding myself why i quit and know that it is not worth it!! value yourself and your health!! when i get stressed and want a cig i use gum or a lollipop! it sounds silly but it works for me...please stay strong and keep going..the begginging is the hardest!! i see coworkers outside smoking all the time and i just walk past and think to myself how lucky i am to be saving my life and keeping myself healthy:D try to think of it that way!! i know it is easier said than done but IT CAN BE DONE!! tomorrow is 2 weeks smoke free for me so just take it one day ot one hour at a time and you can do it!! keep us posted sammy!! good luck sweetie:)

• hey sammy i feel your pain..it is tough i know!! it will get easier in time..we have smoked for a long time and it is engrained in our brains so give yourself a break. my tough times are right after lunch and dinner!! it sucks but i keep reminding myself why i quit and know that it is not worth it!! value yourself and your health!! when i get stressed and want a cig i use gum or a lollipop! it sounds silly but it works for me...please stay strong and keep going..the begginging is the hardest!! i see coworkers outside smoking all the time and i just walk past and think to myself how lucky i am to be saving my life and keeping myself healthy:D try to think of it that way!! i know it is easier said than done but IT CAN BE DONE!! tomorrow is 2 weeks smoke free for me so just take it one day ot one hour at a time and you can do it!! keep us posted sammy!! good luck sweetie:)

Thank you luvvy!! i am so thankful i found this site and others are going through the same, as i thought i was the only one!! (knew deep down this wasnt the case), as all my family smoke and find it funny and say i'll cave soon, which really angers me, and when i show my anger and frustration, their response is " (giggles) Oh, think she needs a ciggy" which angers me more, because i just want then to support me, my husband has never been a smoker so doesnt understand how hard it is!!, my hardest times are first thing in the morn and last thing at night. its funny because i will be sat there either watching tv or having a cuppa, and i'll think to myself, "i'll have a ciggy", then have to remind myself im now a non-smoker, its crazy, and think you only realise when you quit, how much it actually takes over your life!!

I cant wait to get to your stage, just so these cravings really ease up, as not really getting the support and encouragment from loved ones!! but im determined and i will beat this, and i will do it for ME!! :) well done to you though for reaching your 2nd week, keep it up, youre doing great!! xx

Sam

• lol sammy! it is good that ur hubby doesnt smoke but it is true that he doesnt know how it feels to withdraw from this terrible habit!! your family that does smoke prob want to quit also...deep down inside i dont think anyone wants to poisen their body!! dont let them get ya down...you are doing great and i know it feels like you need a cig but you dont and you are doing something so wonderful for yourself and noone can take that away....ONLY YOU!! KEEP ME POSTED AND REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE WORTH IT AND WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!! also i did the same thing you did today after lunch...i was in my car and i thought after i finish my food ill have a cig and then i laughed and realized that i am now a non smoker after 18 years!! ahh! i was annoyed and then happy when the feeling passed and i didnt smoke :)

• LOL, got to laugh really!! i will keep you posted, im due to go out with friends sat night which will be very testing but im confident i will surpass the cigerettes and get through the night smoke free!! keep me posted also on your progress!? dont think i can do this alone!! :eek:

You may also like...