12 months - who'd believe I could do it

As it's 12 months for me today, I thought I should say something about my quit.

It's been tough, rewarding, exciting and terrible. I've (virtually) met some really nice, caring people. I'm very proud to be an Octoquit, and know I wouldn't be here without you all.

Looking back, although there were many times I almost said "f^&% this I'm having a fag" – I didn't, and I think that's because after so many attempts I'd finally got through a day without a fag, then a week, then a month and I had too much to lose, so I'm a firm believer in N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever), and that's what I tell myself anytime I think of the blasted things. Also didn't want to have to tell family, friends and Octoquits that I couldn't do what most people can do – not smoke.

I've changed a lot in the last 12 months:

I don't spend about £200 per month on fags – how did I ever afford it?

I have a sense of smell (had to change my shower gel!!!)

I can taste things – no more mature cheese for me

My car is cleaner inside – and I don't have to apologise for the smell when giving someone a lift

I notice a lot of smokers out there – or I'm more aware of them, always thought I was the only one

I don't have to stand outside at work in the wind and rain

The people in the ciggy kiosk at the supermarket don't know who I am now

I can't see my feet any more (there's more of me)

I'm able to walk and talk at the same time

I know 2 people who stopped smoking when they saw that I could do it – one's on 9 months, the other 10 months (that makes me feel very good)

I now worry that I'll fall and smoke again

To those just starting or thinking of stopping – I smoked at least 20 fags every day for over 40 years and I stopped. Think on that – I'm very fortunate in that I'm relatively healthy for my age, could afford to smoke, and have friends and work colleagues who smoke – and I stopped - not the easiest thing I've done, but the best and I feel so good about that. So, figure out what you need - these forums, Champix, NRT and go for it...... I don't know anyone who regrets giving up the fags.

20 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Congratulations

Good Morning Dave, your 12 Months quit sounds like you have actually enjoyed it which is fantastic, your list of things you have changed are a good way of keeping your quit going, I wonder how many of us actually stop and take note of the improvements in our lives after we stop, I know I will make a conscious effort in the next couple of days to just that and see what I come up with.

I hope that your entrance to the Penthouse holds a lot of joy for you and that your second year will be even better.

Have a great Day and remember you are well on the Road to being a lifetime None Smoker, dont let any one or anything tempt you to turn round and go back cause the way you came is so much harder to find your way back to when you want to get back to the same point x

• Dave

That is fantastic

Thanks I found that very inspirational and motivational.

Only another 11 3/4 months to go for me.

I just hope that I can find half the strength that you had.

Well done on reaching the penthouse

• Well Done Dave

I'm so pleased for you but I knew you would do it. Your're a great guy and huge support to others.

Enjoy your special day Dave

Tinks xx

:)

• Morning Dave

Well done my love, great post. 12 months ago it really did look impossible but just look at us now. Excellent Dave, welcome to the Penthouse. xx

• Big Well Done Dave, a well achieved whole year. You can talk in days again, a massive 365 of them. I liked the bit you said, "I don't know anyone who regrets giving up smoking", how very true.

I hope you are going to give yourself a nice gift and a huge pat on the back to celebrate your special day.

Jackie

• Fantastic Dave

What an inspiring post especially for lurkers thinking can I do it?

When they read your post they'll see they can, and, how it's worth it. Well done mate. David

• Well done Dave....what a great post Hun and welcome to the Penthouse. (Jack has left some beers, but not many)

From your first trip when you were dreading so******ing in a smoking culture early in your quit and came back elated with your achievment you were always going to get here.

Congratrulations again

Lorna x

• Brilliant Dave :cool:

What a bloody fantastic achievement, well done our less than grumpy chappy.

How great that two others were inspired to quit and remain quit too.

No beer here but I do have a rather classy tin of Cider that I'll happily open and raise to your success.

*Cheers* - to continued quitness :D

Pol xx

• A Huge well done Dave

So pleased you made it to the penthouse though it sounds a bit dry in there !!

Great post Dave and I am sure your vigilance has paid dividends and will in the future as well.

Thanks for your company over the year its been great.

Dee x:)

• Wow Well done!!

I love reading these posts, it gives me a boost :)

Im just wondering now what shower gel you used in the first place :D

xx

• Well done Dave It seems like an age ago that the Octo's started down this road and one by one most of us have fallen over that line into the Penthouse. Its a pleasure to see you with us and despite what Lorna says i have NOT drunk ALL the beers (I have a secret stash that i was saving us and now your more than welcome to more than several you deseerve it )brilliant effort mate.

Oh one more thing its great to have another bloke on the firm my ears are bleeding with all the women chatting all the bloody time maybe you can take some of the heat now lol

• Well done Dave It seems like an age ago that the Octo's started down this road and one by one most of us have fallen over that line into the Penthouse. Its a pleasure to see you with us and despite what Lorna says i have NOT drunk ALL the beers (I have a secret stash that i was saving us and now your more than welcome to more than several you deseerve it )brilliant effort mate.

Oh one more thing its great to have another bloke on the firm my ears are bleeding with all the women chatting all the bloody time maybe you can take some of the heat now lol

Hey, remember I still have that clipboard until 31st....cheek!!! :eek:

• wOO HOO well done Dave!

Unfortunately, I found Jack's secret stash of beer last weekend, and it may now be...ummmm, depleted somewhat..... I do however have a few drops of medicinal brandy left which you're welcome to share! :D

• wOO HOO well done Dave!

Unfortunately, I found Jack's secret stash of beer last weekend, and it may now be...ummmm, depleted somewhat..... I do however have a few drops of medicinal brandy left which you're welcome to share! :D

....and to think we have always blamed Christine.....:eek:

• hey, don't let the facts get in the way of anything, we always blame Christine

• hey, don't let the facts get in the way of anything, we always blame Christine

love it....especially when she is not here to defend herself...we better all run and hide when she does appear though....it could get bloody...:D

• I am listening you know!!

PEOPLE always blame me (mainly because it usually is me!). Anyhow pass me the clipboard as I want to whack Jack then Dave :D

Move along people, nothing to see.

ps - Did I mention I am away on my jollies again next week!

• I am listening you know!!

PEOPLE always blame me (mainly because it usually is me!). Anyhow pass me the clipboard as I want to whack Jack then Dave :D

Move along people, nothing to see.

ps - Did I mention I am away on my jollies again next week!

Dont worry Jack is first in line for a whacking but you cant whack Dave for speaking the truth....

Ha and only on jollies if French Air Traffic Control are working which is unlikely...xxx

• That's the girl Lorna, you tell her....... :p

• Well done on the Year. That has given me some real inspiration as i am only 5 days in but thanks to you and the others on here i feel that i can do anything and i want to thank you for updating and letting us all know.

Enjoy the penthouse, you all deserve it.

You may also like...