Day 4 is worse - maybe because I'm bored?

Hi

Cut down over 2-3 days last week from smoking 20+ cigarettes a day from first thing in the morning until last thing at night. Had 1 or 2 at the end of the day last Friday and Saturday (in combination with gum, mainly to *prove* a cigarette didn't give me a buzz - and it didn't, even after going to the pub I didn't 'miss' them, presumably because the gum had already had the effect of keeping me topped up).

I found days 1-3 entirely smoke free quiet easy; paradoxically, because I've read the first few days, when your nicotine levels drop and fade away to a non-existent/minimal level, are the worst. I just thought 'I don't want to smoke any more.' All very rational.

Had the smoking dream last night and awoke a few times - probably due to this? - and today started well, even going to the gym for a couple of hours.

Then this afternoon I've been a bit out of sorts; I know I shan't go and buy any cigarettes, but I've been feeling worried that I'd slip up, that my determination not to smoke again will go into reverse out of sheer bloody-mindedness on my part.

I wonder whether that's because I've got the house to myself for a few days and so am spending quite a few hours each day alone??

PS: I'm a teacher, btw, midway through the summer holidays, so no work to distract/aggravate me - reckon I'll feel better in 3.5 weeks time when I'm back in the classroom?

PPS: Sorry for the poor quality of the prose, more a stream of consciousness because their are just so many questions and concentration is not A1.

PPPS: What a good website; been reading through lots of posts.

26 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi MrBeds (raise eyebrows) I think you are right and you need to find something to do, are you not into exercise as most people find that running is a great way to distract and it also shows you what your lungs are for, I’m not unfortunately one of the exercisers so can’t really comment, posting on here kills loads of hours for me and you could have a read through past threads there are some right funny ones.

Get a good book, I know you can read as you are a teacher so no excuses or talk to friends on the phone or volunteer somewhere or last ditch idea pack a ruck sack and go hitching round UK on a budget.

You could go to work doing extra curriculum teaching.

Have just about run out of ideas let me know what you decided to do, take care.

• Hi

I actually feel an awful lot better since I went to the pub tonight with a non-smoking friend: no inclination to smoke proven again, even though we had to sit in the smokers' area outside to avoid the incredibly loud speakers blaring out the England game; admittedly I had the gum to hand. It's weird, but I feel less inclined to smoke if I have a beer/wine in my hand of any evening.

I do enjoy a lot of exercise. I usually do about 2hrs in the gym - used to do more outdoors, but change in circumstance and enivironment etc. - and do really enjoy the cardio stuff, more so since quitting the fags! :)

MrBeds = Bedfordshire. For my sins I am now living in that county (and boy is is dull!).

• What with the what now? :)

I think I worked out why I had so many cravings on Weds (Day 4) - I was hungry since I'd been to the gym and eaten lunch, but obviously not enough; usually I'd have had a cigarette or 3 to tide me over those 6-7 hours between meals. Same thing happened (very briefly) yesterday evening (Day5), so I had to rationalise that it was hunger, not a craving. After food and a bit of wine with food, no craving.

• Well done you for recognising what was the cause of the unrest. It's to easy to put everything down to quitting regardless the emotion and also to just sit and wallow in misery questioning what we've done to ourselves :)

Quitting is a good thing to do and yes, it can throw our emotions about but learning to recognise them, deal with them and move on feeling stronger is part of the process. It can be and helps to be, seen as part of the positives.

Quits are ours and can be enjoyed, almost, at times ;)

All the best to you :)

Pol

Fi, a long timer on here is known for her sound solid advice and the read below is dam good.

Originally Posted by fionacox

I do my mental roladex of HALT.

Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. All of these mimic cravings. If I am one of those I tackle that first and generally the craving turns out not be a craving anyway and it goes away!

If it doesn't, then I try and remember all the good things quitting has done for me, tell myself I choose not to smoke and that's a great thing. If I get really desperate, I post on here for some help and grounding. Most of the time just writing it down makes it go away, or at least seem less of a trauma.

• Cheers, Pol.

I try to rationalise feelings and addiction etc. and just decided I don't want to smoke and therefore I am a non-smoker. I've dallied with quitting in the past but always felt I was doing it short-term or punishing myself (the cigarette being the ultimate reward for cigarette abstinence!!).

I've also started noticing - not since I was a kid - the unpleasantness in the smell of tobacco smoke and that you can quite easily detect that stale smoke smell on others. It really doesn't appeal to me now.

• "Day 8 in the Big Brother..." ugh, I can't even stand that programme!

I'm now used to having not exactly a craving, but a sort of tired 'emptiness' between 3 and 7pm most days: not that I miss the smoking part, just miss 'something'. As stated above, I think it's when I'm getting hungry (I don't skip meals and eat healthily, it's just I do a helluva lot of exercise every day, even before the quit!). Usually far more contented after dinner; even more so when it's 'wine time' after that. :D

I think I'm eating a bit more between meals, but even that temptation has tapered off now.

I think it just hits me more because I'm not getting the same whack of glucose I got from smoking, so I feel more tired and less able to focus at this time of day.

And as Claire30 noted, a few spots (or spot-like things) are presenting.

BTW: I am still on the NRT gum - usually using between 5-8 pieces a day. I'd have thought that'd mitigate some of the physical symptoms?

• Hi Mr Beds the spots with me were like a fine bumpy feeling under the skin and I put it down to all the poison clearing itself, feels 100% better now and skin has cleared and got better coulor than it has had for years, think gicing up smoking creats a bigger appetite and thats why I put a few pounds on as for the wine I only have one now and again like today as we went out for lunch, was nice and its cool and fresh tonight here, glad you are feeling ok keep up the good feeling and the fluids to detox.

• Hello:)

I really identify with that lost feeling you have spoken about . and at the same time of day too. if it wasnt a bad thing :eek:-I would suggest having your glass of vino earlier while you make supper . ok -I do sometimes :o

the gum will be helping with the nicotine withdrawal -but not the huge psychological part of quitting. the reward feeling for a job completed etc.

the hand to mouth movement -the sheer habit of lighting up .

it is taking me ages to get my head around that . but it is getting easierxx

keep going -and keep busy . your exercise regime is excellent -and if hungrier -I know you will stay clear from those fattening foods ;)

take care x

• Hi Mr Beds the spots with me were like a fine bumpy feeling under the skin and I put it down to all the poison clearing itself, feels 100% better now and skin has cleared and got better coulor than it has had for years,

Exactly - not spots, more bumps!

Hello:)

keep going -and keep busy . your exercise regime is excellent -and if hungrier -I know you will stay clear from those fattening foods ;)

take care x

I have been know to have the odd afternoon vino! :D

It's weird, in the past I thought I'd miss the holding/lighting a cigarette or even just breathing one in, but I don't, even when I visualise it.

I've pretty much been doing loads of exercise for years, probably too much, so maybe I'll do what people said I should and put on a few more pounds while giving up. I was already pretty fit, but it's nice to knock 3-4 minutes off my old time for endurance events in as little as a week or so.

As soon as I ate dinner I felt really at ease - even though only a few weeks back I'd have been going out for a cigarette right afterwards - so I guess it is all to do with blood sugar/hunger.

• PS: Isn't this website wonderful! I thought I was peculiar until now!

• PS: Isn't this website wonderful! I thought I was peculiar until now!

no mr beds you are peculiar...just like us all :D pleased to meet you & well done on your quit mate....love the username, makes me sleepy :D

• no mr beds you are peculiar...just like us all :D pleased to meet you & well done on your quit mate....love the username, makes me sleepy :D

Hi KitKat,

I live up the wooden hill in Bedfordshire (and go past a Bedding 'half price beds' warehouse on my way to the gym most days - subliminal advertising??) hence MrBeds. :D

I am glad I am still peculiar. :D

• Hi KitKat,

I live up the wooden hill in Bedfordshire (and go past a Bedding 'half price beds' warehouse on my way to the gym most days - subliminal advertising??) hence MrBeds. :D

I am glad I am still peculiar. :D

A wooden hill hahaha yes I do like peculiar people who live on wood :D lol ..are you afraid on november the 5th :eek:

• A wooden hill hahaha yes I do like peculiar people who live on wood :D lol ..are you afraid on november the 5th :eek:

I hadn't heard of Bedfordshire - aside from the vans - until I moved here!!

And I don't think I'm Catholic! Yet fireworks can be a little scary! :D

• Hi guys, can i join in your thread please!!!!!!????????

Struggling tonight :(

• Hi guys, can i join in your thread please!!!!!!????????

Struggling tonight :(

Aye, I'll be here 20 more mins! :)

• Thanks MrBeds!!

Had a really good day until now...bloody sodding nicotine!!!

• Thanks MrBeds!!

Had a really good day until now...bloody sodding nicotine!!!

You cannot have a cigarette; you don't need one.

I've always been a stubborn bastard anyhow; I just think of myself smoking (or others) and see the cigarette they're enjoying coupled with the many others they'll smoke alone in the rain out of need.

Set a challenge: learn French fluently before you'll even think of having another cigarette.

• I dont need a stupid filthy ciggie do i...its just my mind playing tricks on me! Funny thing is that if i got offered one right now, i wouldnt have it anyway! Just why on earth cant i stop thinking about ciggies!!?

Honestly, its so silly!!

• I dont need a stupid filthy ciggie do i...its just my mind playing tricks on me! Funny thing is that if i got offered one right now, i wouldnt have it anyway! Just why on earth cant i stop thinking about ciggies!!?

Honestly, its so silly!!

It is; I know exactly what you mean. I feel like that most afternoons - just afternoons, 9 days in - but after a decent dinner and a bottle of red and some nrt gum I am well away!

Maybe try thinking about apples or carrots in the same vein as cigarettes - weird, I know!

• Thanks MrBeds,

sometimes i just think i am going mad, but then i remind myself that its not actually silly, its drug addiction!

• Thanks MrBeds,

sometimes i just think i am going mad, but then i remind myself that its not actually silly, its drug addiction!

Like Zammo in Grange Hill! :D

Don't worry; have a drink and take few deep breaths!

• think i am off to bed in a bit.

I keep munching on king prawns, so might need a shower first!!

Thanks MrBeds!

• I hadn't heard of Bedfordshire - aside from the vans - until I moved here!!

And I don't think I'm Catholic! Yet fireworks can be a little scary! :D

hahaha ...ur so funny mate..I love fireworks but not near wood :eek: lol :D

• I had had a few vinos before posting here last night. Part of my strict health regime. :D

Day 9 (or 10?) now and find the afternoon 3-7 slot a lot easier to deal with at the moment.

PS: And I don't think I've ever eaten King Prawns gone midnight. A midnight feast?

• the grape juice is part of our five a day remember -so very good for you;)

and the fun threads are sooooo good for distraction .

glad things getting easier for you .

once back at work I imagine those day time hours will become a blur :eek:

you need a medal .xx

You may also like...