Lower dosage patches

Hi all,

Experiencing - minute 1, day 1, week 1 withdrawl symptoms due to lower dosage patches. I know I have to be a big girl and get on with it, but it's been 10 days. I honestly thought that it would get better after a few days on this patch.

I realize that some of you have gone cold turkey (in which I have utter admiration for all of you) but anyone who has had step 1 to step 3 patches, could you give me any tips/advice and what to look forward to (or not as the case may be).

Don't know if it's the NICDEMONS but feeling a bit weak, TBH have seriously thought about having a smoke.

I'm doing so well - Don't want to give up giving up.

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Sarah, just wanted to offer my support, I did not do the patches so I am afraid I can't offer advice, but I am sure someone will be along to help.

The only thing you have to do today is choose not to smoke, tomorrow will be better. One day at a time.

Stay strong sending you some PMA to keep you going.

• Hey, yes i did the whole three months on the patches this time, and there is a noticeable withdrawal with each step down. You could try cutting bits off them. At the end, i was soo worried about having no nicotine i cut them in half ! and the last one into quarters ! How very druggie of me! (they last longer this way too)

Or, you could have an inhalator, or lozenges /gum as a top up (No harm in this)

Each step down is step nearer to being nicotine free though, and to being a non smoker!

• I'm using patches and gum/lozenges. I slipped last weekend because I had come off the patches too soon. So I'm back on the 14mg patch since Monday. I let myself chew the gum as often as I feel the urge during the day. Usually that's about 6 or 7 times. I'm going to slowly phase out the patches but very slowly. My next step from the 14mg patch will be 21mg patches cut in half which equals 10.5mg.

I'd suggest you get some nicotine gum. When I slipped and had 4 rollups on Sunday I'd been experiencing steadily worsening cravings all week. I'm really lucky I was able to get back to my quit the next day or I'd be back where I was in January - smoking 25 rollups a day.

• Tyvm

Hey, yes i did the whole three months on the patches this time, and there is a noticeable withdrawal with each step down. You could try cutting bits off them. At the end, i was soo worried about having no nicotine i cut them in half ! and the last one into quarters ! How very druggie of me! (they last longer this way too)

Top idea,:D

Thanks going to do that.

Has anybody alternated the patches on a day by day basis? Was thinking of it but not sure if I would be prolonging the agony:confused:

Anyway thanks again for all the support, seriously think if it wasn't for this forum, I would be tabbing again.:eek:

• Hi Sarah,

Sorry to post so late on this but as I am also struggling on the lower dose patch thought I would check in and see how you are getting on?

I am on the lowest ones (10mg) for my patches and boy am I feeling it. Have chucked the diet I have been on since I quit and been munching chocolate and generally been feeling like day one for the last four/five days.

With regards to alternating the patches a day about, a woman in my Mums work has been doing that for SIX MONTHS. I am thinking maybe its not such a good idea lol. I think I will go with Jude's suggestion of cutting them down for the last week or so. Although I am quite lucky in that I finish the patches two days before easter weekend so might buy in some paint and lock myself in the flat for four days with a tin of paint and lots of chocolate and wine ;)

Seriously though, this is all for a good cause (us!) and I am sure in the long run it will have been worth it.

Debsx

• Patches..

Hey fellow patch users,

I'm on day 20, 3 weeks tomorrow :) using patches and to date haven't really had any serious issues!

I only did 2 weeks on the high (21mg) ones and managed so much better than I thought I would that I stepped down to the 14mg ones. Truth is, I've really not noticed any difference so far. I saw my nurse today and told her I wanted the low ones (7mg) and I'm going to start these tomorrow as I just want to be patch free asap.

I'll let you know how I'm getting on tomorrow!!!

• Good luck with the smaller patches Chris. I hope you do well on them :)

I have been fine for 9 weeks on the first two strengths which is why I think I am finding this such a shock. Am sure it will settle down though.

I think the patches have been good in that even now having cravings I have totally broken the habit and near enough all triggers so a craving for me doesn't mean a cigarette which is fab.

Best of luck!

Debsx

• Sarah I'm sorry you're struggling with the lower dose patch and sorry also that I know little about the patches as never used them

Just hang in there hun it does get better promise

You may also like...