How long does it take to feel the benefit of quitting ?

Hi Everybody,

I am now into my 18th week since stopping smoking and, unforeseeable scenarios aside, do not think I will ever smoke again.

Having never in my whole life known what it was like to be smoke free, I am not sure quite how I should feel.

The cravings, I use that word loosely, are becoming less frequent and last a few milliseconds less each time.

On the plus side I cough less when I get up in the morning and other people say I smell nicer.

On the negative side I am missing the pleasure of smoking, I am more irritable, I have very little motivation to do anything and when I do start something I cannot maintain concentration. Worst of all I ache in places I never knew I had.

When I mentioned these feelings at nine weeks people said that it was too soon to feel any benefits and that the aches were due to the removal of the ailment masking properties of tobacco smoke.

How long did those of you that have been quitted longer than me have to wait to feel the benefits and what were they ?

Regards to Everybody,

Roger

A SMOKER FOR 64 YEARS

SMOKE FREE FOR 120 DAYS

NRT FREE FOR 14 DAYS

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Everybody,

I am now into my 18th week since stopping smoking and, unforeseeable scenarios aside, do not think I will ever smoke again.

Having never in my whole life known what it was like to be smoke free, I am not sure quite how I should feel.

The cravings, I use that word loosely, are becoming less frequent and last a few milliseconds less each time.

On the plus side I cough less when I get up in the morning and other people say I smell nicer.

On the negative side I am missing the pleasure of smoking, I am more irritable, I have very little motivation to do anything and when I do start something I cannot maintain concentration. Worst of all I ache in places I never knew I had.

When I mentioned these feelings at nine weeks people said that it was too soon to feel any benefits and that the aches were due to the removal of the ailment masking properties of tobacco smoke.

How long did those of you that have been quitted longer than me have to wait to feel the benefits and what were they ?

Regards to Everybody,

Roger

A SMOKER FOR 64 YEARS

SMOKE FREE FOR 120 DAYS

NRT FREE FOR 14 DAYS

Hi Roger

Good questions there mate i am about the same quit time as you, my cravings come and go in fits and starts well if you could call then cravings i get them about once a week now always after i just finish work probably because i used to look forward to one in the car on the way home but when it does i open the window (freezing out there ) and let the fresh air in that takes my craving away...... Most of my problems are i get a bit grumpy but i probably always was anyway :eek: Have to say though before i quit i couldn't run a mile now i run everynight bar Fridays and i can run 8 miles in a breeze and planning my first Half Marathon in March next year ... What also makes me happy though is my teeth they are white again, and yes i can chat to colleagues close up as they dont pull away now as my breath is no longer smokey breath ewwwww.

• Everyone is different

Morning Roger

Would say my first 3 days at the time seemed like hell, I was in a soup that I couldn't break free off, then the readjustment began.

Everyone is different, for me it has defo been a period of readjustment, still learning how to live without the nicotine cycle has been hard. Having a new way of life has not been ful of contentment, however, in spite of all the dissatisfaction and blandness I'd rather never smoke again.

I'd say like me your probably *rebaselining* learning what your new normal is, this is what life feels like without addiction.

I'm trying to consider it a journey, one taken without a companion who always managed to obscure the situation.

Morning Bradders.

• Hi Roger :D

I don't know who you were talking to at nine weeks to be told it was to early to feel any benefits of quitting

In my opinion that's a load of old rubbish at 18 weeks you should certainly have noticed some of them

Taste and smell are usually the first to return along with being able to breathe easier

You should also have noticed that your skin is a better colour and you teeth whiter, your hair should both look and feel nicer and that is just a few of the benefits you can expect and in truth should already be experiencing already

In truth I did ache badly early in my quit but that passed quickly for me I can honestly say I feel very fit now much healthier than I was before I quit

You really should be feeling some of them at least I myself smoked for over 50 years so like you a long time for me

Love

Marg xx

• Hi Roger

Have you considered you might be feeling rough for reasons other than quitting? Have you seen a doctor? There could be any number of reasons for feeling so run down, maybe you should get an MOT? It would set your mind at rest at any rate. Maybe some vitamins might help (but hey, I'm not a doctor!!).

As to feeling benefits, I felt loads very quickly, and I'm only on day 20. Sense of smell and taste, skin brighter, easier to wake up in the mornings, more energy (now, not at first!!), better concentration at work, less irritable at home, lots of positives. Also, I've stopped thinking in terms of the 'pleasure' of smoking- I just keep reminding myself of the horrible taste, smell, and inconvenience of it all.

• Hi Everybody,

I kind of feel the same, I am now over 100 days a quitter, and I am confused as to why I am not bounding with energy! I thought I would be full of beans and running marathons or stuff. Instead I quit the gym!

I have a much shorter fuse, and also seem to be a bit more grumpy.

Maybe I am just plain old missing the smokes, the rush etc.?

Still a quitter, 100+ days, never thought I could do it!

• On the negative side I am missing the pleasure of smoking, I am more irritable, I have very little motivation to do anything and when I do start something I cannot maintain concentration. Worst of all I ache in places I never knew I had.

NRT FREE FOR 14 DAYS

i think this is the key. I didnt do NRT but i remember Jase, and possibly Kitkat and chrissie all having these issues after coming of the nicotine.

Nicotine is a strong stimulant and it sounds like you got a classic case of your body needing to rebalance now thats been taken away.

hopefully one of the guys who used NRT can help out a bit here, I dont really remember what they said to combat it.

But you could start looking at what your diet is like. Normally good diet will really help to balance things out quicker and make you feel less groggy.

hang in there REKOMSGIB mate. its gonna get better, much better:)

• Many thanks to you ALL for the replies,

Specifically though to the points you raised :-

Bradders & Stateofplay,

Bradders we have exactly the same quit date, 3rd August.

I think you have a fundamentally better body than me and Stateofplay. When I was 15-16 I played a lot of sports all day every day, but never could run much more than a mile in one go though. 100 metres is about my limit now.

Just goes to prove how different we all are.

Margareth & Deedeebel,

Doctor & quit nurse are in the same GP practice, so yes I am in regular contact with both. I’m glad you have reaped so many benefits. My sense of smell has improved but to be honest it is driving me mad. I have to keep putting wifey’s air fresheners outside, they get right up my nose – lol. With regard to hair, I think it’s falling out even faster and I did not have much to start with. Can’t say I have noticed any change in skin, other than the nice tan I had is fading fast.

Where, as a smoker, my dentist did not polish my teeth, as soon as I told her I had quit she polished them and they have stayed whiter.

Thanks everyone and stay quitted,

Roger

• Dear Roger, This thread has been around for a couple of days and I have been trying to think of a reply for it. There is not much information to go on. You state that you smoked for 64 years and have now stopped and are wondering when the benefits of quitting start. This is heavy stuff.

Well, you are spending less money now. You do not smell like an ashtray any more. I am not a doctor but your lung functions have to have improved. If you smoked for 64 years it is implied that you are not exactly young and 100 meters is pretty good. You own post admits to a better smile. I am 49 years old and you mention having hair so you are ahead of me on that one.

Your bloodstream is no longer over whelmed by carbon monoxide and more O2 is getting to your mucles.

All smokers know that smoking is bad, quitting is good. If you feel that you are not getting any benefits from it I am concerned that will lead you back to lighting up. Don't do that.

You may also like...