Using social to try to get donor - Kidney Transplant

Kidney Transplant

1,867 members839 posts

Using social to try to get donor

Staygood
Staygood

My GFR is 18. I was thinking to create a social media campaign on Facebook and gofundme to try to find a kidney donor.

Did anyone here do something like this in the past?

Using gofundme to ask for a kidney donor (not money) and posting the gofundme page all over Facebook.

Any thoughts on this? Ideas?

And is being gfr to early to go this route?

11 Replies
oldestnewest

I did use social media, started a website, T-shirt campaign etc. Your Drs will advise when its time to begin the process. Once you are approved and make the list, you will begin looking for a donor.

Web site. Good idea to do. May I ask what you used to create the web site? I don’t know any of this stuff. I heard you can use some site creator like wix or square space. But it cost money. Any place you know which they will support cause?

So I shouldn’t do anything until I am approved on wait list?

I believe it was godaddy and a friend of my sponsored it for me. Plus Facebook, Twitter etc. which are no cost, also campaigned at work as I work right up to the transplant. It wasnt easy and I should not have done so, but you cant un-ring a bell.

I would talk with you Doctors and ask when they suggest you begin looking for a donor.

Thanks again for your reply! Really helpful info.

I will look into the web site maker.

One thing I am afraid of is exposing my self to friends and outside world. And from what you just mentioned a o it the work and un-ring bell seems that should be a concern.

Thanks so much again.

I had a lot of support - at least 25 coworkers were tested for a match - maybe more that chose to be anonymous. And a lot of public support as well. I meant that I should have taken it easy and not worked as long as I did and made myself a priority instead of my job. That same job let me go 14 days after my surgery so there was no loyalty on their part, only mine. All I would have done differently is taken time off to prepare.

Yes. How can you help? Private message me?

instagram.com/p/B4h65mCF2xd...

Not certain this link will go through. Here is an example of and ad for social media

That’s perfect. Thanks for sharing that. Exactly what I was looking for.

My wife and oldest daughter put together a site on FB and it generated awareness and a lot of candidates. I knew most of these people, but some were just people who wanted to help.

My daughter shared with her friend on FB as she or my husband were not a match. Her best friends, friend stepped up, she is young with 3 small little boys. After a year of testing, she was a match. Forever grateful and blessed.❤️

My insurance paid mostly everything. I paid .2%

You may also like...