I am beyond frustrated and upset! Well, my case was being presented at USC yesterday before the Review Board and I’ve been sitting on pins and needles for 2 weeks. My Coordinator said she’d call me next week with the results. But INSTEAD, she called in the afternoon to tell me they are DECLINING me! NOT because we aren’t a good match, but because of my “anatomy”! Apparently, my kidneys have an artery and 2 veins attached to each one, which is NOT uncommon, but they don’t feel “comfortable” doing the transplant! I am beyond frustrated and upset! I’ve read so much on this in the last 2-1/2 years and my niece immediately found a journal article titled “Vascular Multiplicity Should Not Be Contra-Indication for Live Kidney Donation and Transplantation”. (See article at dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal... You’re telling me these surgeons who ONLY do live transplants, one of whom I spoke with when I was there last week who was RECRUITED from Cornell’s kidney transplant program (the largest in the country) to try and beef up the program at USC, would be "uncomfortable" clamping off two veins instead of one? I don’t believe it!
I called my brother right away, and we decided immediately that we would get a second opinion, ask for another review at USC, and go somewhere else (St. Joseph’s in Orange County) where we can get someone who WILL do this! Of all the stupid reasons for turning me down after putting us through all those tests and interviews and everything else! With the long lists of recipients waiting for kidneys, this is beyond nonsensical. My brother took it better than I did, and said immediately that even if we have to go to the NETHERLANDS (where the study was done on multi-vascular transplant - see article site above), we would! And we’d have a nice vacation to boot!
He called his best friend, a kidney doctor in San Diego (who first got me interested in doing this when I talked with him 10 years ago), and he will review the CT scans, we’ll get the films from USC and my brother will drive them over to St. Joseph’s, and I have a call into the kidney surgeon I spoke with last week.
I believe the review boards are overly cautious and they don’t ask ALL the surgeons whether anyone would be fine with this set-up. My brother’s case was reviewed last July and while everyone said he was good to go, a renal surgeon on the panel said “Let’s wait 6 months.” My brother appealed it, after his cardiologist said he was fine, and they turned their decision around! I’m HOPING that’s what will happen, but if not, we’ll go somewhere else.
Don't anyone give up if you're considering becoming a donor! This is beyond ridiculous!