30-Day Anti-Inflammatory Dinner Plan - Kidney Disease

Kidney Disease
3,170 members1,460 posts

30-Day Anti-Inflammatory Dinner Plan

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
26 Replies

From rice bowls to easy sheet pan dinners, this meal plan is packed with fresh veggies, healthy fats and hearty whole grains for a month of anti-inflammatory meals that will have you feeling your best!

Recipes and slide show -

eatingwell.com/gallery/2057...

26 Replies
oldestnewest
Mr_Kidney

I took a look at the recipes and found an excessive amount of changes necessary to make this a kidney-friendly meal option. Perhaps only for a select few, but not me. Thanks for posting it as a possible option for some.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Mr_Kidney

Thanks - NOT sure which forum to post- for general health -

i remember - some one had mentioned inflamation here -

Mr_Kidney
Mr_Kidney
in reply to Fatbuddy

There are numerous illnesses that can bring on inflammation so it may help someone without CKD. The one with the salmon looked good but since my gallbladder was removed, salmon is off my plan. I could try it with cod or tilapia.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Mr_Kidney

wow-- did NOT know - how is it different ?

I like tilapia ( Indian ) , mackerel and Red Snapper - and salmon - never had cod

how does salmon affects you and different from others

I just eat for omega 3 - mainly -

Mr_Kidney
Mr_Kidney
in reply to Fatbuddy

Salmon contains more fat and without a gallbladder, it can lead to poor digestion issues and with results I'd rather not have to deal with. Switching to a less fat fish item, like tilapia, cod, grouper (when I can get it or catch it), is better. I do the same thing with recipes from DaVita. I eat nothing as written. Because of my CKD meal plan and now with no gallbladder, I adjust things to fit my personal needs. It works fine for me, but others may not need to be so restrictive. Three of my doctors also suggested, post-surgery, that I could take an Ultra Fish oil supplement of 1000 mg daily to aid digestion. I've been doing that for three weeks now and it's working well. I do miss the salmon and a couple of other things but the alternative would be worse.

2 likes
Jayhawker
Jayhawker
in reply to Mr_Kidney

I had the same situation after my gall bladder was removed in July of 2011. I was ultimately sent to a gastroenterologist. He said that for persons in my age range my eat and dump problems might likely last about 5 years. It turned out that he was right. 5 years and 3 months later my eat and dump issues ended. I still eat a very low fat diet. But it’s not as restricted as it used to be.

Jayhawker

Mr_Kidney
Mr_Kidney
in reply to Jayhawker

On the positive side, I guess that is something to look forward to. While I really wasn't consuming a lot of fat in my meal plan I did have to make minor adjustments so I'm hoping it won't be so bad. I'm only seven weeks post-surgery and I can't even imagine having issues for another 266 weeks. YIKES!

1 like
Jayhawker
Jayhawker
in reply to Mr_Kidney

I, too, ate a low fat diet before that surgery. But I had to eat virtually no fat for some time after the surgery. This included fats like olive oil—I had trouble with any fat post surgery including those considered to be healthy fats. They ultimately put me on a medication called Creon. It was unbelievably expensive but did help a lot with the eat and dump. However, I was certainly glad to be pulled off that medication in October of 2016.

Jayhawker

1 like
Bet117
Bet117NKF Ambassador

Looks delicious! Will try some of these recipes; anything can also be modified for kidney- friendly diets.

Thanks for sharing!

B...

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Bet117

Thank you my dear - friend - also please check Mr Kidney response and my response to him...

Jayhawker
Jayhawker
in reply to Bet117

I do make a lot of sheet pan recipes already. I love roasted vegetables. So sheet pan recipes are ideal for me,

Jayhawker

2 likes
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Jayhawker

sheetpan - usually baked in convectional oven or with solar in India --here in US A --

usually called Casserole - old southern cooking and very healthy. You can add cheese and make delicious and healthy.

Bet117
Bet117NKF Ambassador

Looked at your conversation; very true as everyone's nutritional and dietary needs are different.

I am allowed quinoa, so a few tweaks there and good to go. I also like the Greek Roasted Vegetables only as the woman who commented below the recipe wrote, I would eliminate tomatoes and avocado and add in lots of other good vegetables. I often do that.

I was raised on Tilapia, Red Snapper and Cod fish, so if my nephrologist suggested I add more fish to my diet, they would be my first choices.

I often season with onion and garlic powders, black pepper, basil a touch of turmeric and red wine vinegar which compliments it well. I also buy no salt bouillon and make it to add into various dishes.

Just a thought.

Bought fish oil tablets today to add into my diet hoping it helps as reduce inflammation.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post.

B...

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Bet117

That's very nice. My point is that I did NOT know - CKD patients have inflammation problem. I just remember - I read some where about it in Kidney disease forum.

You are such a good cook- Indian - spices - you can open a restaurant -- nice touch of spices. all good and healthy.

You can take two table spoons of cold pressed organic flax seed oil - same as fish oil tablet- cheaper and better - natural for omega 3.

1 like
Bet117
Bet117NKF Ambassador
in reply to Fatbuddy

You are too kind, a good cook? Still learning.

Yes, I take flaxeed gel capsules daily, but your suggestion sounds better. Will look for it.

Don't give it a second thought about forgetting the inflammation issues in CKD and particularly autoimmune kidney disease patients. So diets differ. We are all different.

We come together here to support each other and learn; what it's all about!

Keep posting!

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Bet117

Thank you--yes - Organic - cold pressed Flax seed oil is lot better than capsule.

I did not see nay one talking about hsCRP test ? for inflammation ?/

I was just trying to gain some knowledge about Kidney damage due to Diabetes --but there is lot more involved in CKD than just basics. I learned a lot.

1 like
Fatbuddy

Honestly - I did not check all recipes -- since I have internet problem here.

I just so the title and thought - will be useful for many members --so posted here.

Thanks for good responses and knowledge.

Thanks Fatbuddy (and all who responded) for your anti-inflammation link to the eating well site.

Preventing inflammation is my top priority high at the moment as I recover from diverticulitis and flare ups.

Armed with ckd/diabetes guidelines supplied by dietician as well as trusted site lists of divert. friendly and unfriendly foods, I look ff to checking out the link and making recipe modifications as needed.

I am a foodie; use a lot of fresh fruits and veggies in my diet and enjoy new sheet pan and casserole dish recipes that fit my dietary needs.

1 like
Fatbuddy

add some spices - garlic, onions, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric etc

orangecity41
orangecity41NKF Ambassador

The Dijon Salmon sounds good. Glad mentioned left over grain as a choice. Can easily modify some recipes for CKD diet.

Fatbuddy

never heard that before- is that from Hawai or California ? Dijon Salmon ..??

orangecity41
in reply to Fatbuddy

Dijon mustard is from France .

Fatbuddy

Please read again- he said djion Salmon ( fish )

orangecity41
in reply to Fatbuddy

I believe the recipe calls for Dijon mustard on the salmon?

Fatbuddy

okay friend- thanks - I did not read all recopies - I just posted for info and had good response

Fatbuddy

Every one can also benefit from Anti Oxidants - supplements - best is CoQ10 by Quinol, Turmeric, Vitamin C, A and E.

You can also eat more - olive oil, Coconut oil and Flax seed oil -

Make green smoothie- for break fast - using vegetable, some flax seed and almond meal ( powder ), ghee, almond oil or regular milk etc -

You may also like...