ONE Kidney ??: Hello everyone - -- Like to... - Kidney Disease

Kidney Disease
2,832 members1,308 posts

ONE Kidney ??

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
21 Replies

Hello everyone - -- Like to know - how well ONE kidney works for older person.

I am 74 years young -- Type 2 Diabetes for over 22 years -- Recently had a severe heart attack . I was at our monthly Seniors lunch meeting --

Some one was saying that such and such lady needs Kidney. I volunteered - I can give ONE of mine. But they said I am too old. Lady is 42 - she wants young persons kidney.

A. How does age affect --

B. What will be my health situation - if I give away ONE kidney ?

21 Replies
oldestnewest
Jayhawker

My first nephrologist used to say all the time that we can do very well with just one kidney; that persons who choose to donate a kidney typically live well for the rest of their lives with just one kidney.

Those who choose to donate go through rigorous assessment to be sure they are medically healthy enough to donate the kidney. So I would think that if you find that the transplant center would qualify you to donate the kidney you should be fine with one kidney.

Jayhawker

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Jayhawker

Thanks --that is great.

Charlene_Coxhead

I'm really sorry you cant donate because you have diabetes and it's not approved as its seen as a condition that can lead to kidney disease and your health is already comprised.

Sorry.

What you where trying to do is fantastic and very thoughtful.

The person saying your to old isn't correct and any age kidney is better than dialysis. Thus us what my renal doctor said when I started dialysis at 38 and still waiting for that magic gift.

You should proud of what you wanted to do your an amazing lady.

Fatbuddy

Hello --thanks -- I am a MAN not a lady - 74 year young - originally from India.

As a matter of fact -- I do NOT believe in cremation - I have told my brother and other family members -- I plan to donate my ENTIRE body to Public hospital affiliated with good university -- for Medical Students - to use my body for their study ( anatomy ) or other research -- as long as they do NOT take out any Organ and sell to some one for big profit.

I have NOT talk to any doctor for qualifying - testing my kidney.

However, I disagree with you -- Diabetic ? yes - for 23 years -- but my Kidney was fine - with eGfr of 84 -- -- for many years before heart attack. Now it is 72 due to medicines.

I am so sorry to know that you had to start Dialysis at that early age ( 38 ).

Charlene_Coxhead

Sorry to confuse you with a lady, it must have been that you where thinking of donating to a lady my mistake and apologises.

I'm sorry I didnt make the rules regarding diabetes and donating it's just how it is in the UK may be different in other countries. The medical professions are just trying to protect the potential donor which I do understand but it's frustrating for people that want to help others.

My dad was going to be my live donor we had a date and everything fir feb 2018 and his function dropped by 2% so no donation. Dad even said he wanted to go ahead but there is no option.

I'm not sure what I said for the comment ....'As a matter of fact -- I do NOT believe in cremation' as I didnt mention anything about it.

I've had this disease since I was born but didnt know till I was 21years with gfr of 20 so I did well to last 19years dialysis. I was meant to start 2009 so extra 10years isnt to bad.

I hope you get your wish to be a live donor. Good luck

Fatbuddy

Hello sweet friend -- no need for apology - you are doing great -- I am in USA. Originally from India. I have no idea if kidney function different for women vs men.

Can a men's kidney work for a woman ??

In India and Pakistan - some poor people SELL kidney to survive.

Charlene_Coxhead

Kidneys are universal so doesnt matter if your Male, female, ethnicity, religion and even age. Officially they will try and pair children kidneys with young people but the average age of a kidney lasting in a recipient is 15years but this is only an average.

It's illegal here to buy or sell kidneys but you hear lots of people being that desperate and I get that.

The only thing is you need to have matching blood type or compatible blood type and tissue type as well as having a clear bill of health and mental health.

So first stage is chatting to live donor team of why you want to do this

Medical history

BMI, Blood pressure, oxygen levels

Bloods lots at different stages

Isotype scan

Ultra scan

Urine samples lots at different stages

ECG

Heart scan

CT scan to check arties and veins and any scarring on the kidneys

They check your mental state every time they see you. Nothing horrible it's just about how you would feel if you donated and it failed, or you wont know the donor, you may never know what happened to your kidney.

If you get approval you then go to court and have to sign paper work in front of a judge to make sure you are clear on what you are doing.

Now obviously this is the UK process and maybe different in the US.

I hope I've explained this ok to you and its helped

1 like
Fatbuddy

That may be in UK...

Not is USA - yes certain tests done --but don,t think we have to go to court here

KidneyCoach
KidneyCoachNKF Ambassador
in reply to Fatbuddy

You may be well controlled diabetic but since diabetes is #1 cause of kidney failure it is also #1 reason to disqualify anyone from becoming an organ donor in the United States.

You could give every medical test, record etc to try and prove it would be okay. Unfortunately there is NO transplant center in America that would accept you as a donor due to diabetes.

Thank you for even considering donation. It comes from a kind and generous heart.

Amy

Dialysis nearly 18 years.

Fatbuddy

Thank you sweet Amy -- I had no idea - conversation just came up at meeting and I

offered -- but No problem for me -- Take care

steve680

Here's an article from the National Kidney Foundation which says who can donate a kidney:

kidney.org/transplantation/...

If you still feel you qualify after reading this article, then you could contact a local transplant center at a local hospital and they will put you through the evaluation process. Unfortunately, this forum isn't read by medical doctors and we don't do medical diagnoses or medical evaluations; this is more of "support" group and has lot of good information from people who are dealing with kidney disease.

It's very admirable that you're willing to donate a kidney, regardless of how your evaluation turns out.

1 like
beamteam

I'm 78 and only have one kidney which is failing.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to beamteam

what country are you located in ?

Do they have kidney matching service or donor list ?

In USa -- city of Chicago - I was talking to some one and they have 5 years waiting list.

Jayhawker
Jayhawker
in reply to Fatbuddy

I’m in the Kansas City area and am going through transplant eligibility testing right now. They’re telling me that wait time for a deceased donor kidney for my blood type will be approximately 3 years.

If I qualify I’m planning to do some traveling for vacations during the first 1 1/2 years. Then I’ll need to stay close to home; so staycations instead of traveling. That way I’ll be handy should I receive a call.

I’ve just got one test To go at this point, a colonoscopy. Everything else looks good. I’m still surprised; although, very pleasantly surprised, to find that my cardiac data is in the average range or even above average range. My blood vessels are also still looking good. I’m a type II diabetic and have been in renal failure since January of 2017. I’m still not on dialysis.

I manage my diabetes without medication though. My blood pressure is still in pretty good range without medication as well. No fluid retention yet.

So I’m hoping I’ll qualify for a kidney and still be healthy enough for a transplant in 3 years.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, Fatbuddy, I wouldn’t try to donate a kidney if I was in your situation either. You should concentrate on your own health right now. You can always sign up to donate organs after you pass if you wish.

Jayhawker

Dixidude39

Fatbuddy, I'm about to turn 80. Lost my right kidney to cancer in 2016. It's doubtful you would be approved as a donor due to age and diabetes, but if were it me, I would NOT donate a kidney. Concentrate on improving your own health. I too am Type II diabetic, but by regular exercise and diet, I do not need to take any medicine for it. I was just over 300 pounds (late 1990's) when my diabetes was detected, but now I am 168 pounds (6.0' tall). I exercise at the YMCA 4-5 times a week. I follow a plant-based renal diet.

1 like
Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Dixidude39

Thank you -- You are doing great ... I do go to LA Fitness 3 times a week. In USA - Medicare Advantage plan - with Aetna --gives FREE membership to fitness center.

I do pay attention to my health .. read my discussion - Post about " Diabetes and Heart Attack " --in Diabetes India here -- trying to find answers - to help others.

I do NOT even understand - why or how I got Diabetes . I am skinny person --

Only - think of is genetics -

I do NOT mind giving my ONE kidney if it helps some one.

Dixidude39
Dixidude39
in reply to Fatbuddy

Regarding diabetes, it's often a disease of the obese. However, I do have an 84 year old sister in law in North Carolina who is otherwise in good health, but is only 103 pounds, has type II diabetes, and needs to gain at least 10 pounds but can't. She cannot eat sugary foods. It appears to be genetic in her case.

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Dixidude39

Oops- Happy Birthday -- coming up soon -- are you in Texas ??

Jayhawker

Great work on your part!!

Jayhawker

Dixidude39

No, Fatbuddy, we reside in a suburb of Richmond, VA. We used to spend Jan-Apr in Houston. Made good friends at Houston's Second Baptist, but due to deaths or move-outs, we have few remaining friends, hence are no longer staying there. We really enjoyed the 8 years worth of 4-month stays in "Oil City."

Fatbuddy
Fatbuddy
in reply to Dixidude39

okay -thanks - Richomnd is ni ce ---but gets cold

No place like Atlanta ....

You may also like...