Kidney Disease
2,301 members1,053 posts

Immune reactions from kidney disease

Anyone suffer from immune reactions from their kidney disease? Severe inflammation fevers and fatigue? What helps?

16 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Lianelady. I am 11 months post transplant and yes I get at least 5 cold sores every 3 weeks. By 2 pm I am absolutely worn out. And my temperature shoots up no matter where I am or what I’m doing. Up to now I have tried most things and still haven’t found anything that eases any of these things. It seems that I can sort the issues out when they happen but still can’t do anything about preventing them. Maybe between us we can work together and find out. But for now if you can rest when your body tells you to, eat as healthy as you can you’re doing ok. Just remember to keep your Renal team in the loop of how you are feeling. Good luck 😉

Have your thyroid checked including antibodies against your thyroid (TPO and TG) They now know that thyroid has direct connection to kidneys. Google it and take a good study to your doctor because most of them do not know this!

Oh, heck, Yeah! Every medicine I take causes symptoms.. either hives or restless legs x 10. I had spine surgery and still have more bulging discs, but I can't take a thing, not even aspirin. If I get a headache... all I can do is rest. The surgeon wants to do more surgery on my spine but there is just no way. I can't tolerate anything. I was told by my doctor to take Benedryl for the hives.... nope, I got a reaction from that, too. My doctor put me on statins for chloresterol, nope... can't take that either.

I'm stage 3 CKD. These immunities have just shown up in the past year.

They best thing for almost instant relief from restless leg is magnesium (I use the citrate form) some is better than others. Also helps you to sleep cuz it relaxes your muscles. Ask your pharmacist about it, they will know. I haven't found a doctor yet that is very knowledgeable about it but it really works!

Most people start at 200mg and work to 400mg. A night. Will also help with constipation, so be aware of that fact!

I take Magnesium for leg cramps and it hasn't helped. I wake up every 2 hrs. Am really tired during the day and drowse a lot. I'm going to miss taking my 81 mil of aspirin today and see if that stops it. Horrible to be up all night moving my legs.

All magnesium’s are not created equal. What kind do you take and how much?

Nature's Bounty, 500's. One a day. It stopped the leg cramps. I couldn't even stretch in the morning.

You first post said it didn’t help your leg cramps and the second post said it did. You need to try 400 mg of magnesium citrate...so many of the other don’t get in your system well enough to help. I can only find the citrate magnesium at health food stores. I’ve never seen anyone that it didn’t help. Take it at nighttime.

I meant that the magnesium didn't help my restless legs. It helped the cramping. I'll see if I can find it on line. No health store near me.

Sometimes Walgreens and CVS will carry a magnesium citrate but not all of them do.

I found it on Amazon and it will be delivered Friday. amazon.com/NOW-Magnesium-Ci...

1 like

Let me know how it works on you. I would be very surprised if it doesn’t!

1 like

I wound up getting adverse reactions to almost everything & it's they said I have new disease where I can't take but a handful of things. This started a yr after my diagnoses. I can't even have magnesium for restless leg & cramping but I can take CBD. Dr's use it for my pain, back issues, let stuff, etc.. It does help but takes time to b in system for a while. My Dr's say it does not effect my kidneys or labs either but each person is different. Stretching is the big thing for legs & back cramping b4 bed & during day. It's a pain in the butt however so is kidney disease so we just have to find what helps & do it. Having new rare disease w/ most meds & vitamins will make me a bad canidate for transplant cuz can't have anti rejection meds & other stuff. So check into ur issue w/ diff meds. Most have side effects & nausea but u shouldn't have rare reactions or adverse reactions to all unless something's wrong like another rare disease so talk to docs about it...especially a neurologist. Hopefully ur bodies just having tantrums from ckd & back problems & it'll calm down some so u can take certain meds to help. Good luck!:)

Hello - I'm not suffering any overt reaction, but I've been told I have suspected IgAN. I'm trying this plant-based diet the last few days and the results are encouraging (lower BP readings, more clarity).

My ma-in-law put me onto it - she says it cured the Type 2 diabetes in 3 days.

wholesometales.com/dr-biswa...

So sorry I have nothing specific to offer, but plant-based diets really do help in a broad range of maladies.

1 like

Hi GBear,

I have IGAN. Not sure if you are eating a gluten free diet, but several studies have been done showing gluten free diets and in some cases dairy free diets can help slow the progression of CKD in Those with IGA Nephropathy. If interested, I can find the articles and send to you. I have noted them in previous posts on the issue.

Hi Lianelady,

I have a compromised immune system and lots of inflammation due to IGAN which is a type of kidney disease. Fish oil can help as it is high in Omega 3 or I take Barleans Fresh organic flax oil instead at the suggestion of my doctor. You want to control the Omega 3 to 6 ratio in your body. Stay away from processed foods in particular as they are high in sodium, sugar and Omega 6 oils. For your oils, use olive oil, flax oil, or macadamia oil. Never cook with flax though, only use that in smoothies or as salad dressings. Try eating some foods that have natural probiotics such as small amounts of yogurt from organic grass fed cows ( not the fruit sweetened junk that most yogurt comes in), raw sauerkraut or raw pickles. Has to be raw and say probiotics on the package in the refrigerated section. Getting your gut flora in good shape can help your immune system.

You might also have hidden food or environmental intolerances adding to the inflammation. I have many of those, such as fragrance, smoke and glues etc. When I stay clear of them I feel a lot better.

I’m not sure where you are at with your CKD- re dialysis, on dialysis or post transplant, so any suggestions I made should be run by your doctor. Good luck!

3 likes

Zazzle - Thanks heaps!

I've searched a few of your posts and found some good recommendations. I also found this Nature article someone else posted, that promotes the benefits of an 'Oligoantigenic diet':

nature.com/articles/pr20141...

I have an egg food allergy in childhood. I was pretty protected growing up, but once I left home I started consuming bits of egg (it's everywhere - in Mars bars, most noodles, in KFC batter....) - that's when my blood pressure started taking off.

I wonder if food allergies have something to do with IgAN. Apparently, molecules of food allergen get into the bloodstream through a leaky gut (problems with gut flora may play a role here). Once in the bloodstream, IgA and IgE antibodies 'attack' the food molecules (as antigens). Together, they form 'circulating immune complexes' which get trapped in kidney tubules, damaging them. Kidney damage then somehow results in raised blood pressure. Which can exacerbate kidney damage. And so on.

I've found consuming a couple of tablespoons of activated charcoal helps when my blood pressure flares up. Deep, uninterrupted sleep at night definitely helps - my BP is much better for it in the morning. I think the kidney 'autocleans' or somehow repairs itself at night.

I'm planning to get further food allergy testing done. My GP did test me for celiac disease and H.Pylori - both negative. I do like bread - but I minimise it these days and try to stick to sourdough bread or wholemeal.

You may also like...