Orlistat - has anyone got any experience? - Weight Loss NHS

Weight Loss NHS
95,474 members50,551 posts

Orlistat - has anyone got any experience?

katiekyle15
katiekyle152019 July
9 Replies

Hi all,

I am trying to lose weight currently and spoke to my GP about this - she suggested that I try Orlistat tablets - alongside diet and exercise changes.

Has anyone had any experience of taking it? How did you feel on it? I know you have to be careful about the amount of fat you consume but really that's all I know about it.

Thank you!!

Katie

9 Replies
oldestnewest
IndigoBlue61
IndigoBlue61Administrator

Hello and welcome 😊

I would be very cautious about anything that claims to aid fat loss Katie, but I’m not medically trained. I understand it blocks the absorption of fat, but from what I understand fat is an essential nutrient ☹️

I hope someone else with first hand experience can help you

If you haven’t already then please read the Welcome post here healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh... please read it carefully and just ask if you have any questions.

I notice that you have left your post unlocked. We always advise that you select “only my community” when you write a post. Please read our security post here healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Best wishes in your weight loss journey

Indigo 😊

1 like
BridgeGirl
BridgeGirlAdministrator

Hello, katiekyle15, and welcome to the forum :)

If you look to the right of your post (at least, that's how it shows up on my laptop) you will see Related Posts which refer to Orlistat. I have no first hand knowledge of it. All I will say is that you only have to spend a couple of days here to realise that we have members who have lost huge amounts of weight without any medication, just by making the right food choices and sticking with it - and with us :)

nazz88
nazz88Visitor

Strangely enough I was reading about this yesterday. Search for "The “oily discharge” pill" in this article :(

dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-...

1 like
Teachertailor
Teachertailor2019 July

Hi katiekyle.

I used these a while ago and even though it worked, it was messy!

You have to eat a strict low fat diet and exercise. When I say low fat believe me I mean it...it can be rather unpleasant and you can never be too far away from a toilet.

You have to be careful even breaking wind, I know this sounds really gross, but you can leak from your back passage.

I really wouldn't use them again, its not worth the embarrassment and anxiety. Besides I put the weight back on😖

Now I'm doing the weight loss journey the right way. Low calorie and exercise. There really isn't a permanent quick fix I'm afraid.

I wish you all the best.😊

1 like
lucigret
lucigretAdministrator
in reply to Teachertailor

Hello Teachertailor, it was good of you to come and share your experience here, thank you 😊

I see you are on a Weight loss journey your self. Would you like to come and join us, or are you just passing through? We would love to welcome you here😊

Teachertailor
Teachertailor2019 July
in reply to lucigret

Just passing through. However, I might be back😉

1 like
lucigret
lucigretAdministrator
in reply to Teachertailor

You would always be very welcome 😊

Teachertailor
Teachertailor2019 July
in reply to lucigret

Thank you. 👍😊

katiekyle15
katiekyle152019 July

Thank you all - I definitely had a lot of reservations about them but wanted to hear from people who actually used them...you have convinced me! Thank you 👍🏻

You may also like...