1500 Cals(6ft male)/training 4x a week - Weight Loss NHS

Weight Loss NHS
90,871 members48,116 posts

1500 Cals(6ft male)/training 4x a week

Hey guys,think it's my first time posting on this section of HealthUnlocked,so Hi,so to start, food and I have always had a love hate relationship in recent years,been a comfort eater, being a carer for both my parents(dad has MS & mother has severe heart failure) I tend to always feel stressed or tense.

So throughout this time for the past 10 or so years,I always turned to food for comfort because I am just not one to sit in a room and talk to someone about my life problems(stiff upper lip and all that).

Prior to 2014 my diet was rubbish,just ate junk did not care what I was eating and I gained a ton of weight,my biggest was 21 stone(294lbs) at this point I was really starting to feel guilty about my weight.

New years came and went,so one day I woke up and thought hey,it's time to start losing weight,I went out bought healthy food,started weight training in the house, downloaded myfitnesspal,and input my hight weight,and went on my journey.

I had a drive I never had before, I was motivated but had no real idea where that type of motivation was coming from,and yeah it felt great.

During that time,I was even more stricter,eating 1400 Cals sometimes 1300Cals,going over would make me feel guilty, so by March 2016 I had dropped down to 12 stone 10lbs(169lbs) it was a drastic weight loss. People started saying i looked ill yadda yadda yadda.

Then by the end of 2016 I started questioning my self as to why I was losing weight,I started to become down(I wont say depressed because I never went to the Drs or shrink or anything).

Started eating junk food again, started to get even more guilty about it,and started to self harm(a year and half clean now), a mixture of the guilt of letting my self go again and just hating life again. So my mood went from being on cloud 9 to being in hell again.

2017 was pretty much a year of being up and down as was 2018,during this time,I was eating junk food and put eeeeeverything I lost back on, I have always had mood swings,well since I became a teen and into adulthood,is what it is.

So here we are in 2019(im trying to cut the story short otherwise I might as well write a book) I started back on my "diet change" last Sunday(16/6/2019) and it's been going well.

My mood is fine,I feel a bit of that old motivation like before, I have started to train in the gym rather than in the house(change of scenery) So started from scratch all over again punched my numbers into myfitnesspal,and it says I should be looking at eating about 1840 odd Cals a week.

But I have cut that number down to 1500cals a week,I do not eat any less then that,nor do I eat any more than that either,it's exactly 1500 cals. I go the gym 4x a week,spend an hour there,30 mins cardio 30 mins strength.

The question is should I actually be eating more? as it is I eat every 3 hours,and I feel like I eat a lot now,let alone adding another 300 calories on top. I set my meal plan out for a week an example of 1 of the plans is like this:-

9AM (200cals) Protein Granola & unsweetened almond milk

12AM (276cals) Liquid egg white(1cup) Crackerbread,Philadelphia Light(spread),Roast turkey breast slices.

3PM(425cals) Wrap,roast turkey breast slices,cassava snacks(like a crisp/chip) chocolate fudge brownie(90 calories brand)

6PM(421cals) Chicken Jalfrezi & Mango & Passion fruit fat-free yogurt for desert)

9PM(178cals) A meal replacement protein shake.

________________________________________________________________________________________

So that's an example of todays meal plan,if I am training that day the morning granola is replaced by a protein shake after the gym, I tend to look for alternatives to certain foods,as they are lower in calories,and you are able to eat more of said lower calories for example cauliflower rice.

In the long run,I am not 100% sure as to whether it's a sustainable amount,and I am still on the fence of lose weight first /pack on muscle after(loose skin will no doubt be an issue and give me a bit of a body complex too),as I have done it before,but granted I was eating less at that time.

And I am also on the fence about introducing a cheat day,once a month,at the end of each month have a day,where I eat what i want without calorie counting,but obviously back to normal the next day.

Sometimes my moods do dictate my diet basically,when I am "Down" when i am in that crappy place,I just shut my self out from everything and self loath my existence,but when I am "good" I kind of become obsessed and just run with the ball until my legs drop off basically.

Sorry for the long post,I think i might of gone off track a bit so incase you got to this point and forgot what the hell it is i am actually asking.

Question: Is 1500 Calories enough for a 6ft male who now weighs 19 stone 11lbs (dropped 7lbs(probably water weight) this week.

Answer: ????

33 Replies
oldestnewest

Hello, CJ2016, and welcome to the forum 😊

You have a big responsibility in caring for your parents and I'm sure it takes its toll at times, in terms of stress and anxiety.

The short answer is no, 1500 calories is way too low for you. If mfp says 1840, then you can add a good bit onto that as it's notoriously stingy. Use the NHS BMI calculator to get a range (not a single figure) personal to you and aim for the upper half of that range nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-we...

You'll probably say you're OK on 1500: maybe you do feel OK, but why eat so little when you can eat a lot more and still lose weight? What you did before didn't work - and what I mean by "work" is, not just losing weight, but keeping it lost.

Cheat days? Make every day a good food day, with food you enjoy and that keeps you healthy and feeling full, then you'll have no need to "cheat". Go for real food, home cooked, no processed stuff and that includes anything labelled low fat or fat free or diet or light/lite (all heavily processed), keep the big carbohydrates down (bread, potatoes, pasta, rice) and don't be afraid of healthy fats. Here's some reading for you phcuk.org/wp-content/upload...

This welcome pack explains how the forum works and how to find your way around healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh... Please take your time reading it so you get the best out of your time here. I recommend joining a weekly weigh in on the day of your choice and using the Daily Diary to post your meal plans.

For your privacy and safety online, we suggest that you lock your posts by selecting ‘members of my community’ when you write a new post. Please read our security post here healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh... especially as your post isn’t locked

Wishing you every success in reaching your goals 😊

PS Please DO NOT use the HU App as it doesn’t give access to most of the important areas of the forum. Use the website with whatever device you’re using

3 likes

Thank you apperciate the reply and the extra info,I guess i could try upping my Calories a bit to see how it goes,perhaps its just my way of thinking that needs to drastically change when it comes to how much I should eat when trying to eat better. I tend to marco my self at 40% carbs 20% fat & 40% protein.

Read that second link and see what you think. The menu you list above suggests you're avoiding healthy fats. There really is no need :)

You might like this

2 likes

Thanks and your correct in that I have build it into my head that fat is "evil" but I know not all fat is bad as there you have fat under your skin and fat around your organs etc.

I have started to eat this small pack that has a mixture of nuts and some cheese(not sure what cheese it is) but I guess thats a start in regards to introducing fats into my diet on a regular bases.

Good for you :) I think it takes a while for many of us to get our heads round it but, basically, dietary fat doesn't make us fat. That's covered in the video

1 like

Yeah i agree,its more of a mental battle then a physical one,the same as eggs I guess although over the years they have said they are good one moment bad the next etc, But yeah I guess you can say there would be no real harm in increasing my cal's intake especially if it stops any cravings and what not.

Eggs!! They're the food of the gods as far as I'm concerned, a perfect quick and easy meal with whatever veg you have in, plus some cheese or whatever you fancy :)

1 like

Thank you,gives me more assurances in the direction of my diet :)

1 like

My father was 5' 8" and 24 stone for decades.

I am 6' 3"... I maintained at 18 stone for decades, but I lost four stone in about ten months. See:

healthunlocked.com/fasting-...

I see that you are on a good low-Carb diet - have you looked at the Low-Carbohydrate, High-Fat (LCHF) diet, see the LCHF forum here on Health Unlocked.

2 likes

I have never really looked into any sort of specific diet I have always just kind of winged it,done my own plan kind of thing but I will have a nose at the diet you mentioned as it gives me ideas on food plans etc,so thanks :)

1 like

Some of us here also Do Not Eat All Day (as advocated on the video above) aka Intermittent Fasting (IF). See:

I eat breakfast (at 10:00) and do not eat in the evenings.

1 like

Thanks ill have a read,at the moment I will probably stick with the eating every 3 hours,but I will take it each day as it comes,and depending on where I am a few months from now maybe it will be something I would consider.

1 like

You seem to have fallen into a very common trap: going from eating junk to eating tiny portions of weird "health food" ... which is actually very far from healthy, but it's been drummed into our heads that this nasty-tasting, synthetic, nutrient-deficient pap is good for us, by people who should really know better.

There is a happy medium!

It's going to take a fairly radical mindset shift, but you need to start eating proper food again, and trusting your appetite. Apart from anything else, eating tasty food in filling portions will do wonders for your general mood. Nobody can be expected to cope with the pressures that have been laid on your shoulders while eating what amounts to Gulag rations.

I'm eating nearly twice as much as you are, following a similar workout schedule. About 60-70% of my calories come from dietary fat. I'm maintaining at about 13% bodyfat. It sounds counterintuitive, but the best way to get fat (or stay fat) is to eat too little, and to eat too little fat (and by default, too many carbs).

2 likes

Oh I agree with this no doubt about that,When i eat crap,I eat crap all in one go then eat very little or nothing the rest of the day,when I eat "betterish" I eat more regular. But I agree big time the hardest part will be a change of mindset. Thanks for replying :)

So after reading your guys replies,i have upped my meal plan today and will do for the rest of the week to 1820 Calories,that's what MFP has suggested that will give me a 2lbs a week loss,And ill take it from there and see how it goes.

Apperciate the replys,and will try and keep you guys updated on my progress,As before I have taken a picture as a Before so couple of months from now maybe every 3 months or so ill will take another to see how I am progressing.

3 likes

I think that’s a good idea. I’m a 5’8” female at 12st 6 pounds and I am losing well on 1800 calories a day. My previous diets were 800 to 1000 per day. I got to my goal but gained it all back. I’m convinced I destroyed my metabolism so by then even going to 1500 a day was too much. This time I’m determined to do it right.... get my body burning fat rather than glucose, and convince my body it isn’t starving. The menus I’m eating now I could eat for life (and sometimes I can’t even finish 1800 calories) and yet I’m losing weight. Sometimes it’s frustrating to be so slow (1-2 pounds a week, or even a stay-the-same) but I’m convinced it will be better in the long run as I can see my metabolism is still working!

2 likes

Thanks for the reply,yeah I deff understand about it feeling a lot when you increase your calories thats for sure,its suprising how much you actually have to eat to lose weight,I find it kind of odd,and against my mindset,and basically always being told eat less etc etc,although i ate less in terms of how often i was eating when i ate junk food compared to now eating every 3 hours with now adding snacks in between that as well.

Lots of great responses and you're clearly willing to make changes which is going to be an important factor in moving forwards.

In BridgeGirl's first reply to you she linked the NHS BMI calculator and I was wondering if you'd had a chance to give it a whirl. Juppy has given you an idea of what a 5'8" female can lose weight on. I myself am a 5'7" male weighing 80kgs and my 'mid-activity' cal range is (1795 - 2307)... a level at which I still lose weight.

If you can find a way of eating more and see that you're still losing weight, it will hopefully make the journey easier to travel.

I'm not saying make any more changes now because small steps are often better than great big leaps but just that you bear in mind what your future options might be.

If you haven't already, why not look at today's Daily Diary, where many of us post the day's coming menu. It may help expand your idea of what is possible... healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Good luck!

2 likes

Hey thanks for the reply, I did take a look at the NHS bmi calculator and my minimum cal for weight loss said 2327 odd.

Atm I am pretty happy on the 1820, but if cravings start becoming an issue, then hopefully that extra play in calories will help with extra(healthy) food.

Having just increased my cals it honestly feels like I am eating a lot of food.

I know it's healthy, but It feels like if I'm not exercising I am eating something, that will take time to get use to to be honest.

1 like

As you've already increased your cals I'm sure that will feel like luxury.

There are people here losing weight who aren't able to exercise at all for one reason or another and they lose weight just by managing their food intake.

Sounds like you've been really thoughtful about the whole process so I'm sure you'll be open to change if you feel you have to.

1 like

Thanks,yeah I have done this whole process before, granted I was more extreme then and it was no way sustainable longterm,where as atm this feels more sustainable,but I am willing to mess around with my cals because I just think no matter what it will always be something new to learn in regards to diet and exercise.

1 like

Many of us who do IF and LCHF (ish) find that we can lose weight without counting anything - but (walking 30-35 km/week) my Apple Watch tells me I am burning 2,500-3,300 calories a day, so 2,300 sounds reasonable to me.

I am 6' 3", 15St 7lb and 17% body-fat.

Intermittent Fasting stimulates the metabolism.

1 like

I think if needs be I can fall back onto that comfort blanket of the 2300 cals,but seeing as i am pretty comfortable atm at 1700-1800 then ill just see how it goes,this is only the 2nd day on that amount so ill see how it is by the end of the week.

Welcome CJ2016 and you are in good company here. Hope to see you around the Daily Diary. You absolutely deserve to eat well and take care of yourself.

1 like

Thank you,and I will try and come on here regular and interact with the community more :)

2 likes

That’s a good resolution CJ2016. Many of us have been on here a few years now, because weight loss is not an easy ride, and then maintenance when you get there is also an ongoing effort. Your problems aren’t suddenly solved when you hit your target weight.

This forum is a constant support for everyone, wherever they are on their weight loss journey. We will be there when things are going badly, with support and good advice, and we will be there cheering when you achieve what you are aiming for.

Best of luck!

2 likes

Thanks and yeah last time around I just became lost and really lost the purpose of what i was doing,and yeah so hopefully interacting with more people who are in similar situations or who have been in similar situations will keep me motivated and in turn hopefully down the line ill be able to motivate the next person etc :)

4 likes

Well done for addressing and making such an effort but looking at your 'menu ' I couldn't maintain this for life . I have yo yoed throughout mu life but feel now I have to have sensible variety which will help ex and internally . Eggs - you could eat 3 in an omelette plus lean ham and a pile of salad . Don't see much veg or fibre in your dirt either plus drink loads of water too . Tinned fish is a good standby . Why do you feel you need protein shakes if you just do a normal gym workout ? They will take cals you could put into a piece of fruit or lean pork ,fish , or a load of veg.

I admire your willpower though . I enjoy group classes too . There is only 2 men in our Zumba classes but the cardio and spin classes attract quite a few men and I'm guessing that looking after 2 adults isn't easy and you need a bit of different company .

I made the mistake of using Myfitnesspal as a bible . My rec cals were 1250 and I had to really juggle to maintain those every day . I now have about 1450 and feel better for those extra cals , not increasing weight either .

Let us know how you get on but key to this is how long you can actually keep to what you eat inc a social life and not limiting your diet so much that you are miserable .

1 like

Hey thanks for the reply,and yeah since making this post I have made some tweaks,to the calories consumed,and the protein shake is a meal replacement shake, high in protein,reason I have this after going to the gym is because I hate eating after doing exercise or before any exercise. I like to workout on an empty stomach.

I have a shake in the night because throughout the night you eat nothing,and from my understanding it gives your body that little bit of nutrition thoughout the some of the night,although that would be more so for casein protein not whey protein.

The workouts are somewhat light at the moment as I have only just started back after about 3 or 4 months since I last done weight training,as the weeks go on ill be increasing how heavy ill be lifting as well as continuing with the cardio.

Muscle memory also comes into play,as i was doing weight work outs 4x a week prior to stopping and starting,I find I tend to increase how heavy I lift pretty quickly to what I was lifting when I was at my peak.

That menu was for one day,each day I change what i eat so there will be veggies in my menu,fruit on the other hand I have never been one for eating fruit although I should be, Ill have eggs boiled and Egg whites for an omellete depends on what I feel like putting in my menu for that day. Atm I am now eating between 1700 - 1800 Calories so I will see how my weight loss will be for this week :)

Now you have updated this reads a better plan . Don't forget muscle weighs as well so toning etc may not lead to much weight loss . I found weight dropped off initially but now I maintain . I don't want to be super skinny and aged 59 I feel too much weight loss will make me saggy and scrawny so I now maintain at 62kg . I am 5ft 1 and this - reading the charts means my BMI is over . However it is what is right for me . I do at least 3 Zumba classes per week plus walk / swim and still work full time so I feel I don't want to eat that seriously now and enjoy a decent social life too .

I have lost 18kg so feel I have a new me . I would be happier at about 60kg so may tweak my eating as weather improves .

1 like

Your doing a great job,I think at times we can over think in regards to numbers ,I dropped down to 12 stone 10 lbs(169lbs) at one point and was getting headaches even though according to the BMI chart I could drop down to 9 stone 10(136lbs) odd.

However dropping down to 169lbs give me a lot of headaches,at the time i was weight training 4x a week as well as doing BJJ(brazilian jiu jitsu) and kickboxing,I think your body will tell you when its at a happy place to be honest.

Think you are right .I feel good the way I am now and want to do this as a lifestyle not a fad . I can remember doing com gymnastics as a teenager . Aged 17 I was 46kg . I can't go back to those days !

1 like

Deff agree about doing it as a lifestyle not a fad.

1 like

You may also like...