Weight Loss NHS
88,149 members46,958 posts

Binge eating!

So I have a question for the people out there 🤔

How would you control binge eating / feeling hungry an hour or so before bedtime?

30 Replies
oldestnewest

By removing the foods that cause an upset to my hormones and increasing the natural fat for satiety.

Processed, sugary, carbohydrates will spike an insulin response, followed by a drop in blood sugar levels, followed by excessive hunger, even if you've not long eaten.

Have a look at this phcuk.org/wp-content/upload...

Thank you so much for the link, what you said about the whole insulin response I never knew, so I feel slightly more educated. Going to have a read of the link now!

That's great, I'm glad to have been able to help :)

Hello, I do the 16/8 so dont eat after 7pm but when I was doing a low fat diet that meant going to bed (and waking up) with a growly tummy! Now I do lchf im never "starving" im ready for my meals when I have them but I no longer dive uncontrollably into the fridge ! :-) hope this helps! :-) x

1 like

I haven’t woken up with a growling stomach is years, I would do the DONT eat after 7pm but because I have sleeping problems I normally don’t sleep until after 1:30am so I start getting hungry around 8/9/10pm 🤦🏻‍♀️ I normally try to wait until my stomach tarts making some sort of noise of bubbling, but st the same time I feel I don’t eat as much at dinner as I should!

You can make your 8hr eating window whatever time suits you best, good luck ! :-) x

Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely try it out x

1 like

I used to have a problem with periodic binging which turned out to be not consuming enough calories. It wasn't a huge difference, either. I had been aiming for around 1600 kcal, but then rechecked my recommended allowance using the NHS BMI calculator, and found that I should have been aiming for a minimum of 1800 kcal. Once I was at the more appropriate calorie range, the binging stopped.

2 likes

I try to aim for 1200 calories a day, although the BMI calculator said I should be consuming around 1700/1800 calories a day.

If the BMI calculator says you should be consuming 1700/1800 calories a day, then you should be consuming 1700/1800 calories a day. I don't see the point of cutting down on meals and then filling up at night with biscuits. Please steer clear of the Oreo thins etc and eat decent meals. And take notice of the advice from moreless

2 likes

Yeah I get what you’re saying, but with me a small treat helps with my weight loss journey and I am sure there is no harm in that maybe? As long as I am getting my intake. As I have said previously it’s hard to have meals when my mum cooks for me, and because I have lunch around 3/4 pm because of a busy schedule a lot of the time. I’ve already lost over a stone which I am s9 happy with. I will try and up it the best I can.

But you aren't getting your intake. You're only eating 2/3 of what you should be eating. If your meals are enjoyable, you won't need to be topping up with non-foods. The definition of a 'treat' is something unusual, something special: if it's something you have every day, it's just food, probably sweet food that will increase your craving for more.

Well maybe it’s just different for me? A treat to me is s9 etching like going out to eat or having a takeaway, which I have only had once this year. We all define ‘treat’ differently. Once I’ve had my treat it doesn’t always trigger off wanting more.

1 like

I do agree that having a treat, if it fits into your eating and doesn't seem to be doing any harm is fine. Before giving the low carb high fat approach a go, I used to have two After Eight mints every evening which was enough to satisfy the desire to have something sweet after dinner, but didn't have any impact (that I could see) on my weight. But I also agree with BridgeGirl (and everyone else) that your binging is probably due to too low a calorie intake. Are your binges times when you find yourself unable to stop eating, for example, one particular thing until it's gone (or something similar)? If so, that's basically the same thing I had. I also found that if I'm particularly hungry in the evening, having a little cheese helps.

Medically speaking in bulimia/binge-eating disorder terms a binge is around 15,000+ calories. So firstly it might help to think of this a bit differently/reframe it, if this is not the amount you are thinking of.

I have found a few reasons for my (mini) binges, which are usually lower than 2000 calories when I actually write them down (in my app).

1) restricting too much during the day or over-exercising without fueling afterwards

2) eating refined sugar

3) feeling overwhelmed and using food to push my feelings away

4) tidying up leftover things so that the house only has healthier foods in it ('when it's gone I can't eat it anymore')

Like Lytham, having an IF feeding window helps, as does something high fat like a chunk of cheese or creamed coconut just before I start my fast.

All the best with your journey, cheering you on!

1 like

If I binge I honestly eat anywhere between 600-2500 calories in one sitting and it just turns I to an horrendous mess and feel guilty / rubbish a day 🤦🏻‍♀️ I think half my problem is restriction, I eat around 1200 calories a day, or try to aim for that, but the BJI calculator said I should be getting around 1700/1800 a day. But I also use food to push my feeling away as you mentioned

Thank you so much x

1 like

No wonder you feel hungry and binge if you are under eating by 600 calories a day!

I would suggest trying to eat 3 balanced meals of around 500-600 calories a day rather than looking for healthier snack options.

It sounds like you need the snacks because you are under eating considerably!

This is what I worried about, under eating! I try to have 3 balanced meals a day but I fail so badly. I normally have breakfast between 11-12. A snack at 2/2:30 and dinner around 4/4:30 and that’s it. Snack around 8/9. Normally when I get hungry again around 8/9 it’s too late too cook! Or my mum doesn’t like cooking (stupid I know but I’m not trusted to use the oven🙄) so I struggle massively at that point!

You could have 4 meals a day of 400-450 calories and have a breakfast, light lunch, dinner then light supper (for a name for it).

If cooking is an issue you could have overnight oats for breakfast (no cooking - just oats and milk and some topping - maybe fruits or i like peanut butter.

Your light lunch could be a salad - maybe with some tuna. Make sure to include a dressing on the salad which will add healthy fat and keep you fuller. (again no cooking, just assembling).

Dinner - if you eat with family and your mum cooks ... eat with them but make sure you have a sensible portion.

Later supper - something like ryvita and cheese or even hummus / pitta

If you did this, just have little meals and it would be worth calorie counting everything until you get used to this pattern.

It may help and work around your lifestyle - just an idea and thinking out loud.

I hope it helps.

That’s actually a very good idea and I’m liking what you just said!! But in my sad case 8 don’t even like any fruit, veg, salad etc🙄 so it makes loosing weight even harder for me, which I hate! Although I have already managed to lose after a stone! But I am definitely going to take that on board and work with it, I am sure it will help me, thank you x

Can I ask how old you are, if you're not allowed to use the oven?

I am 21 next month. My mum doesn’t allow me to use the oven because of my Mental Health and she currently know how I am. I am not even allowed to be in charge of my own medication. Might be stupid but still 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 like

Well, she wants to be sure you're safe :)

Have a good think about all the information you've been given here and keep reading other people's posts.

I save some calories for a post dinner treat & I have found the following have been good & easy to keep in my calorie budget;

Halo top ice cream - or own brand similar

Oreo thins

Mini party rings

sugar free sweets (aldi ones are good)

Light hot chocolate (the kind made with water)

I try to keep back 100-200 cals for post dinner treats, and I always have a cup of decaf tea with them!

1 like

How many party rings or Oreo thins would you have in the evening? I love all that you mentioned! And I may have to stock up on those bits!

I actually have a pint of water and brush my teeth :) I find that helps alot

I try too drink 3/4 500ml bottles a day, or try too brush my teeth but it wares off sometimes 🤦🏻‍♀️

1 like

Hello, Sazzie84, and welcome to the forum 😊

This welcome pack explains how the forum works and how to find your way around healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh... Please take your time reading it so you get the best out of your time here.

You'll find a list of all our activities on the daily chat thread here healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh... I recommend joining a weekly weigh in on the day of your choice.

We also ask that you read this information about internet privacy and security healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Wishing you all the best and I hope you become an active member of this community 😊

1 like

Oh thats me too.i wouldn't eat much during the day but come 10pm and I eat everything in sight so I started eating porridge I find it fills me up and usually sends me off to sleep.🛌

So that's what you need to turn around. Plan your meals. Have three filling meals during the day and you won't be hungry at night.

3 likes

You may also like...