Weight Loss NHS
72,046 members38,708 posts

I feel fat and ugly!!!!!

The past 3 months or so I'm up 5 pounds and down 5 pounds. I am very tired of it. Come to the point I want to stay away from the scales until I get my head on right. I am very depressed over my situation. I cannot find the drive to going on. I just want to cry until my upsetness goes away. That I do not know when.

48 Replies
oldestnewest

Oh Wadestreet I feel your pain but please remember your not alone there is plenty of support for you here. Why not try a period of just maintaining your weight and then move on when your in a better mind set. So times we can get so hung up on what the scales are saying that we lose track of the bigger picture. Try weighing in monthly and just watch your portion sizes and use a tape measure to record your progress.

I can understand how you feel like crying and I'm sorry to hear you feel depressed over your situation.

4 likes

Thank-you. I have missed you. It is nice to hear from you again. You are right the scale is determining my life's way of thinking. The scales overruling me totally. I need to tweak my daily intake. I started on Monday at my gym's pool and I am hoping to go again on Friday. I volunteer couple times a week in the afternoons. I get what you mean get stabilized and work on that than every will fall into place. Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 like

Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying the pool at the gym, that's a great way to burn off a few calories. Just keep going, we are here any time to support you. Drop into the What's happening post for a daily chat as it will be good for you to share your day there. Have a lovely week Wadestreet . :)

So sorry you are all out of sorts. Can I ask if you are sleeping any better, as lack of sleep is always a contributor to feeling low.

Take a deep breath and try not to be overwhelmed by all your feelings and what is going on. If the scales are bothering you, would it help to take a break from them? Try taking aspects of the big picture and maybe just make a small change and set yourself mini targets - and be proud of your successes, don’t dwell on the negatives.

You know your way around this Forum, and the many ways you can be involved. Just keep popping in and tell us all.

Hi I have periods where I do not sleep and feel low and with that as you know the cravings come a calling and do not have the resistance to say no. I am working with my doctor with my sleeping pattern. Anhour or more I either turn off my labtop or TV and read. I believe I will take some time off. Atleast a month and get stable and give my scales to someone who will say no to me. And then get them back. I back in a month and then it will give me time to look at my sleeping pattern. 30 days to change a habit. Thanks.!!!!!

Going without sleep just distorts everything - so pleased you are working with your GP on this though.

If you are taking a step back from weighing all the time, and don't want to concentrate fully on all that surrounds that, why not join in with us over on the What's Happening post that goes up every day. We chat about so many things, and would suit you well as it runs from 10.00 pm to 10.00 pm UK time, so is always "open". It would just be lovely to keep in touch with you on there, even if you did not want to join in with other things.

And we will willingly put the kettle on for you any time. :)

I'm so sorry that you are feeling so low Wadestreet, you have had two lovely replies from yellowrose and MissisB. How about coming along to the Whats Happening thread each day and having a chat with us about everything and anything and seeing what other's are doing, it just might give you a lift to have a chat with us and help you find your way back. You really don't have to struggle on your own, we are here to offer support and friendship.

Sending you a hug 💐

4 likes

That sounds great!! Yes it was good to here from yellowrose and MissisB is new to me. You guys have given me a lot to think about. Thanks!!!!

1 like

The scales can have a very negative effect on some people which is one reason why I only weigh me every three weeks.

It is a pity you can't just make some little changes to your eating for a few weeks without getting on the scales and see what happens :)

3 likes

They can, then can also be very useful, there a lot that happens in a body, beyond scales

HI Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one that felt that way!!!! I think I am taking a month break work on daily meals with out the scale and exercise program not for the scale again but to enjoy it. And live for life and not for the scale. You are right scales can be negative on people. Thanks!!!!!

1 like

I am no fan of Joe Wicks but I can see why he calls them the naughty step and tells people to throw them out. I had a very unhealthy obsession with the scales at one point and I have had to work hard on myself to overcome it. My GP has even suggested in the past that I ditch them. I'm happier now that I am in control of them rather than them controlling me. Give it a try stuff them in a cupboard for a few weeks and see if it helps. Good luck :)

I got rid of my scales for no other reason than we had a new bathroom and I didn't want them to spoil the look 😁 I used to be on them all the time I had to go to have a check up at the asthma clinic and she weighed me and I'd lost 6lbs since the middle of March So I'm not going to buy anymore scales I'm going to carry on and go by my clothes and how I feel

I didn't know about Joe Wicks calling them the naughty step but can see his point I was obsessive too

1 like

For some they help keep them on the straight and narrow but for others they can be like the devil in disguise lol We are all different in how we respond to things. Well done on your weightloss it sounds like you are managing just fine without the naughty step :)

I felt really low last year - my dad died which was a huge blow. So I sat on sofa and ate. It got to new year and I had no motivation and then suddenly I felt like I wanted to do something about it in January. I think you do have to get your head into it and I do believe the key is to exercise as well. That alone sometimes makes you feel better. I started couch to 5k and there were some days it was a struggle to leave the sofa - so I just ran around the house but I figured it was progress. I still have quite a lot of stress going on in my life but being able to control my exercise and diet gives me some control. Depression is awful so please speak here or to others and never feel like you are alone.

3 likes

Hi and wow that's great. 5K did you have a trainer. Or did you teach yourself. I would love run. I have 65-70 pounds to lose. I can barely walk 25 minutes. i went in the pool Monday and did laps 25 minutes. They swimming is good exercise. I know the feeling in getting yourself up and going. I need to get going!!!! Thank-you for your message...

1 like

I just did it with the couch to 5k app on my phone. You just start walking for a minute and running/jogging for a minute and build up over the weeks. When I started I had trouble running more than four car lengths but it has really worked for me. I have done it all on my own in that other than here I haven't joined a group, but I have just joined the smart phone world this year and found it so easy to log calories with myfitnesspal app and steps with my fitbit and the couch to 5k. I am far too poor to afford a personal trainer!

Please seek help, ( in whatever firm that is, counselling or therapy) get rid of the stress, you can deal with your weight when you feel brighter.

Do you have any family, friends or pets to help you? I hope so, as others have said take time out.

Well actually I do see someone once a week. Helping with my sleep. And I joined the mental health program here awhile back but they do not respond that well. I am going to take a month off work on my daily food intake and get my rear out and exercise and enjoy it for myself and not the scales. I think that is what happened. I did everything for the scale and when the scales did not reflect of the work I put into it the scale i would pig out on the not so good side. A viscous cycle that I cannot get off. I am taking a month off and work on me and leave the scales alone. And then weigh myself every 3weeks once a month. Thanks!!!

PS I did a mindfulness course it's amazing and looking through your posts I think you would find it very beneficial It's definitely helped with my eating as well which I didn't think would happen Have a good break and recharge those batteries and I'm sure it will do you the power of good

1 like

Hi there cat33!! Yes I do need that break and rest as well as look after me. A healthy lifestyle and include a exercise program. I actual went swimming on Monday and enjoyed immensely. And not having my life wrapped the scale. I decisied to weigh once a month which is load of my mind. That is my first step towards freedom of the scales in learning to be healthy and I can and I will do this. Thank-you kindly. and I remember you kindly!!!. Have a great day!!!

1 like

That's not like you Wadestreet I remember you gave me loads of support when I first joined the forum

Now come on you can do it don't get down we are all here to support you we all know what it's like A new day and new start I have every faith in you as you spurred me in when I was finding it very difficult

All the best 😊

3 likes

I am like the Doctor not a very good patient. But i am blessed with the information I am getting from everybody. I am going on Friday on What's happening post. I just need month's break and work on me. I know it will be hard not to use the scale. But I need that separation tie to it. Then just weigh myself once a month and buy a measuring tape. One of my goals is get back into exercising like the pool and treadmill. i do find swimming relaxing. Thanks for your faith in me. I will carry me through it the next month. Thanks xx

I too sometimes get down getting on the scales & seeing no improvement but I have found even if you don't lose any weight if you measure yourself you may find that you have lost maybe half inch or more. Keep going don't get down.

I have to go shopping tomorrow and get a measuring tape. I am just starting to swim and treadmill. I will not get down kbed just a break to get me back on track for a month and that will go quick enough. Besides I love you all to much not to come back!!!! Thank-you remember measuring tape.

oh wadestreet been there did that.. still do it sometimes. I try to remember when I felt good, I mean really good about myself whether it be because my husbands son told me this afternoon, I looked like I had lost some weight , it made me feel so good about myself but then was he serious or just joking? I may never now but that is ok too.

I am sure he was serious. You know my first was truly happy when I moved to another place you would call towns. I did not have a care in the world not even my weight. Now I just want to lose the 65 pounds and be healthy and physically. Sorry rambling on. I will not give up. Just a needed vacation. Back before in forum again. Thank-you!!!

1 like

💜💛💚💙

Lots of love to you Wadestreet

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I know you'll figure a way out of it yourself.

(Sometimes a good cry helps)

It's lovely to see you back on the forum.

💚💛💜💙

1 like

Thank-you. I will find things out. This is just small fall down and i will bounce back with many new goals besides the scales to conquer.

I used to get so depressed about it. I was going to the gym and eating better but wasn't losing weight, I got so down until I realised that I was losing inches as muscle weighs more than fat. I put on loads over Christmas and got really down again as couldn't go gym as tore a muscle in my chest and fractured my ankle. A few weeks ago I thought I needed to take control and was sick of feeling so down. I now go to the gym before work if I work lates and do classes at the weekend if I'm on earlies. I go for a walk on my lunch break and have cut down my portion sizes. I'm also moving on to the coil from the pill. It feels amazing taking control again. You just have to remember that you are not alone, there is a great network of people here to support you and that you are able to do this as you are amazing! X

1 like

Thank-you. You think you are the only one. Even among all these great people on the forum but I am learning everybody is normal and I am learning a lot now with you guys. I want to feel better and help people that are going through what I am going through. Give back what you guys are given me. I am going to work hard give myself a month I was told about What's happening Post. So I am going to aim at that and not weigh in. That way I can still keep in contact with guys and learn to be OK to be Ok

1 like

Hi

I am so sorry you are felling this way ... I don’t ever weigh myself ... it’s self defeating for me personally .. I go by how my clothes fit :0) ... Gillian Mckieth says she never weighs her clients as when they start eating nutritious food the weight comes off and there is no need to ... but .... we are all different .. my clothes are looser that’s a guager for me personally ... please don’t give up ... emotinal eating and stress eating for me are a big factor ... is there anyway you can destress? ... or have a chat with somebody who can give you advice and direction .. we are all here for the same reason ... I really hope not helps again for you to talk and get help and guidance here ;0) .. take care ... can you have a pampering session ? ... hair .. nails .. makeup ... you deserve it ... even though at the moment you might not feel that way

1 like

Good Morning Wadestreet it’s been a while since I posted here or even ligged in and that was because I felt I had failed. When I joined I was so full of enthusiasm and excitement for the days ahead when I wouldn’t binge it but exercise happily instead. That enthusiasm and excitement soon disappeared and was replaced with old habits to the the point where I am where you are. As I lay here with the remnants and wrappers from laser night I’ve decided to give it another go and will ensure that I check in here daily for doing so was my motivation to continue. I’m on a business trip and in a hotel so don’t have scales to hand but when at home was on them daily. When I get back I will put them away for they are truly the naughty step and contributed to low moods and binge eating when I had understandably not lost any weight even with all the earings, bangles and necklaces taken off and of course going to the bathroom first 😂. Check in here daily and put those scales away..... we’ll be fine. We can and will do this xxx

2 likes

Oh my gosh I want to cry. Thank-you for your message. So close to mine So close. As i told someone that you think you are the only one. Right now I do not feel alone. yes we will be fine. And we can do this!!! xxx

Don’t cry Wadestreet, take one day at a time (one hour at a time if need be) and know that we’ll do this. Allow ourselves to stumble because as human beings that’s what we do. After that one, two or however many stumbles we’ll pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and.......start all over again knowing that we’ll keep on and will do this. Be strong hun and believe that it’s possible.

1 like

Last night not laser night- soz

Hi wadestreet I do sympathise and I feel your pain too

Thank-you!!! I just think I need a break and then get back on board for the great summer we are going to have. I we all sometimes in losing weight there is a time hey I need to take a step back and then make fully conquer new goals. Come back better than ever. Than-you once again...

Sorry you are so upset Wadestreet,

I check my portion size when things don't go my way, and forget about the focus on numbers. (these scales are such a magnet). I also measure when the scales stick. Some times I think our body just likes to keep us on our toes. Summer is coming and salads are a great friend of mine in the warm weather.

Hope you feel better soon and get your mojo back. We are all here for you!

:)

Thank-you. Your right summer is almost here. And want to determined new goals and not weight goals and be happy being me and not through the scales. i like salads too.

1 like

Oh poor you Wadestreet. I know just how you feel. Are you trying to do this on your own or have you joined a slimming group? I find that I cannot do this alone. I need the support of a group and the knowledge that I am going to be weighed by the leader of that group. I am a Weight Watchers member and I do find that I come away inspired each week. the leader is very good but also my friends within the group provide motivation. One lady in particular is very slim and I dearly want to be like her. I have a very sweet tooth and it would be so easy to just eat all the chocolate rubbish that I love but I try to think that it would ruin all the good work from before and in the end it would not make me happy. I only lost a half a pound this week but at least I did not put any weight on. Do you have an image in your mind of how you want to look? Some people put a penny in a pot for every pound they lose and this inspires them to get more pennies in the pot. Try to think how good it will feel when you are at your goal weight. Is the naughty mouthful worth it? Don't give up, you will get there in the end. Some people take longer than others on their weight loss journey.

Good luck xx

Thank-you kindly. I was thinking of joining TOPS weight loss group. But I find it hard talk about my struggles with weight loss. That is when I internalize and then I blow because my head is so full of stuff. I was overwhelmed the amount of responses I received. So I am trying to let go stuff and relax with the great people here . And I decided I am only weighing once a month and let go of the pain the scales gives me and become normal what normal is? I guess one day at a time. And I have a major sweet tooth!!!! I would love to lose 65 pounds and work out with gym weights enough to feel good about my body. And say hey look how far I become and enjoying life as it comes.

1 like

It reads like you have some brilliant solutions yourself Wadestreet. Maybe you just need a little encouragement and reassurance?

Yes your right encouragement and reassurance. I did need. I am hard on myself when comes to weight/scales. I just need to message on the forum empty my thoughts and get feedback from great people and let go. And to take my thoughts of positivity in my messages and be a better patient and work on them myself. Thanks your message came in time. I can and I will do well and be proud. One pound at a time.

2 likes

Hi Wadestreet firstly, lovely to meet you and secondly, I feel exactly like you. Gosh, I could write hundreds of pages to you to show you how much I sympathise, understand, totally relate etc, with you.

I am only a shortie in height, approximately 5'4 and a bit. I am overweight for my height and it congregated around my middle area, lol. I've weighed over the years, losing an ugly pound here and there, totally gutting. I'd then focus on that weight on and off through the day, until it became a curse, waiting to weigh next and hope the weight is dropping. Did it do any good for my confidence and mental well being.....? No!

I eat generally quite healthily with the odd oven chips portion, pizza etc thrown in. But lately when I come home for lunch, I have been eating either something like mackerel with piri piri from Aldi with salad, couple of babybel light (yes, I know that's a concoction, haha), and then a yogurt when back at work. I had my usual tea, could be anything and at the end of that first week, I weighed on Saturday morning and I'd lost 5 and 1/4 pounds. I was gobsmacked. This was about 3 weeks ago, I've have weighed once a week since then and not lost anymore. Yes, it gave me a boost, but have I felt different in my clothes.... No.

There isn't much point to what I'm saying, lol, but I think what I want to say is that the scales is pointless really. Yes, weigh first to start off so you have your weight in mind and then forget it, weigh monthly on a Saturday I'd say if you have to and do your best to eat good, allowing your treats, but don't be too upset if you go over board a little. I've learnt not to beat myself up anymore, it is a learnt process though, but don't prevent yourself from having something nice to eat.

Do a bit of exercise, even if it's just brisk waking for now, short burst during the day, or whatever you can manage. If it's slow to fall off, don't worry, as long as you're doing something positive each day your mind will feel more relaxed and settled. The positive action outweighs any negative action, so a bit of walking each day is good and you're actually doing something positive which is aiming towards a trimmer body and more positive, healthier mind. Doesn't matter how long it takes, because the slower you do it and over time, the weight will drop off gradually and you will maintain it too 😊

It's hard work, I know, I'm with you on all you've said, but even if I don't manage a run or cycle then just walking my puppies, 6 month lab and 5 month yorkie, for 45 minutes or less sometimes, depending on time, is more positive for me than doing nothing at all or even trying to run when I didn't feel up to it.

Kerping going lovely, we're all here to support you, I need lots of support in all areas too 🤣🤣 xx

I would love to meet you too!!! I am going out. But I promise to write Sunday 12:30 am my time. Can't wait to meet.

Thank-you for your great message. Very much appreciated. And I am 5"6 and

weight all around the middle. haha. It is hard to lose weight while still weighing on the scales. So I have decided once a month. You are right it is a learning process. I had a relaxing weekend which I needed. It will be hard on my journey ahead of me to freedom. The scales have been a part of me for 30 years that controlled every aspect of my life the good the bad and the ugly. When I weigh next and then weighing before your weigh date and the scales did not move or you have gained. Throw you in a tailspin for the rest of the of the day or days. Your right not good for your confidence/well being. Definitely. I started taking walks on Friday. Friday was so beautiful. A sunny Spring day. I just need to step back break free the scales and eat normally. What is normal really? This is going to be the hardest thing for me to do. For right now I am taking it day by day. And tackle one problem as it comes along. I will win this. Thanks again. xxx

1 like

You're welcome lovely. We've got a great bunch of people on here, and I am proud to call them lovely friends. We will all support you and each other, and that has to be worth something.

Move forward now in a positive way and you will see good results to cone, no matter how slow and gradual they may be xx

You may also like...