Weight Loss NHS
72,236 members38,807 posts

Exorcise your demons and then you are free to Exercise!

I’m only 53 and was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hips, knees and toes. Everything hurt, going up and down steps was agony, so I stopped going for walks, started taking the lift and basically shunned any form of voluntary movement. My doc referred me to an NHS Escape pain management course, 6 weeks twice a week of targeted basic exercises designed to strengthen your muscles. I’d stopped exercising as I thought that the pain I was feeling was a sure fire message that I was damaging my joints even more. The pain clinic taught me that I couldn’t damage my joints by exercising and that by improving my muscle development this supports the body putting less stress and strain on your skeleton. Exercises were gentle side leg lifts, balance boards, exercise bike, front leg lifts, bridges and step ups/downs. After 6 weeks I’m a total convert. Pain level at start of classes was a 10/10, now down to a 2 or 3 😀. I was really sceptical at the start but often and gentle seems to be the key. I’ve even managed to do my pre illness walk of 5km without any real difficulty. The other bonus is that I’ve also lost 5 pounds! In a nutshell, if you have osteoarthritis make sure you move, move, move. Happy Mother’s Day to you all out there. I’m off for a lovely long walk with No 1 son. 👍👣

7 Replies
oldestnewest

That sounds an amazing programme - thanks so much for telling us about it, and losing weight as well sounds a bonus

I see you haven’t been on this Forum for a while. Are you hoping to lose more weight with us, or are you happy where you are now?

Hoping to lose a couple of stone. Was on steroids for 18 months which led to weight gain so now I’m off them I’m feeling a lot more optimistic about weight loss.

I will let you have the link to our latest Welcome Post as this contains lots of helpful information, including about internet security and advice on how to lock posts.

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Wishing you all the best.

You are so right. My daughters have a genetic condition that means they live with pain daily. The physics at Alderhey did the same thing for them. My eldest kept going and now holds down a full time physically demanding job.

Hope you stay pain free xx

Thank you. I hope the same applies to your daughters too.

Totally agree. I'm 71 in May and have had arthritis for a few years in my knees, hips and hand. My doctor told me at the beginning that movement was the key (unless I was in complete agony), walking was the best exercise and if necessary take a couple of painkillers BEFORE I set out so I wasn't in too much pain. I can honestly say that my knees and hips hardly give me any trouble. My wrist and knuckles however are really painful, which seems odd as I'm constantly moving them. Perhaps I should learn to walk on my hands - now that would be a sight!

That would be a sight indeed. Glad to hear you are able to stay mobile.

You may also like...