Weight Loss NHS
72,211 members38,791 posts

Need to be pain free

Hi my name is Karen, I’ve just turned 50 and very overweight. This in turn has caused me to hate myself, I can’t look in a mirror or even a shop window as I walk pass it. I have today been diagnosed with osteoarthritis which is giving me a lot of pain, I also suffer with anxiety and depression. So after my diagnosis today I have decided today is the day I turn my life around. I don’t have close friends or family for support, so hope I find support here.

16 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Kaz1967 welcome yes there is lots of support here just shout and good luck

2 likes

Thank you

1 like

Great to have you join us kaz1967

Welcome and enjoy the forum Karen, you will very soon feel part of the forum family effect and the more you join in, the quicker and fuller you will benefit.

Please check with your health professional regarding your actions to lose weight and get their support locally to compliment this wonderful forum...

I'd like to invite you to read our Newbie Pack - which is what I call the sat-nav to the benefits of the forum, here's the link:

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Please also read this about the importance of locking your posts:

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

Cheering you on to reach your goals 🎉🎉🎉

1 like

Thank you

1 like

Hi there. It’s lovely to see you here. Don’t worry about not having family and friends to talk to because there are so many lovely people here all the time to chat to and you are bound to find some people you like here.

All you have to make sure you do is chat to other people and reply to other people’s posts because I find it has helped me to learn more and people talk back to me and help me too.

2 likes

Thank you I’m looking forward to getting started

I think you already have. Just keep chatting.

1 like

You actually sound as if you have decided to make a really positive decision, and I think you are amazing for doing that.

I am sorry to hear about your health problems, and the pain you are in. I hope that losing a few pounds will help you feel better about yourself. Just know you ARE worth it, and there will be plenty of people here cheering you on every step of the way, and listening to you when things are tough.

Just join in. 😕

1 like

Thank you for your lovely reply I think I’m going to get all the support I need with people like yourself 😊

Aw. And that in itself is a lovely response.

Just remember that everyone you talk to here is here because we are or have been overweight. So we understand better than most.

Join in any and every regular post - things like “What’s Happening” where we just chat over the garden fence, as well as the regulars, like the Weigh In.

Do you fancy joining today’s Weigh In? I am sure JiminyCricket would love to have a new Tuesday person. 🙂

How does this work please

There is a Weigh In every day. You choose one day a week to weigh on, and you post your weight on that day’s thread. You comment on how others have done, and they look after you.

Look at the links Minniewinny gave you and you will find more detailed information. 🙂

1 like

Thank you

It's small things that make a big difference rather than doing anything drastic.

I have been on the case 13 weeks and have nearly lost 2 stone.

I decided to make changes after I had a pulmonary embolism back in December and started small like cutting out sweet items like biscuits and pop and meats like bacon and sausage and upped my exercise, dealt with work stress which I feel was the cause of my problems as it had been going on for ages and an incident last November was the last straw!

I had been desperate to get out of that job and was applying to loads of things and they had been mean over time off for interviews which hasn't helped as a couple of times I had interviews like at 2.30 and had to go back to work after and also having to work late after having gone to a 9am interview and this had gone on for about 2 years S well as nasty attitude ad infinitum and maliciously obstructing me from doing further training and getting a compressed work week that I had asked for which had caused trouble and they had come down on me for laughing in the office as it frightened people supposedly and caused noise in there and I had been told to laugh quieter and I had an argument over this and had lost my temper same as I had when I had been denied annual leave at short notice as I had an interview for 10am that I had to travel for and had wanted to have gone home after that to be told no and I had cried in sheer frustration and had gone to the director who had a go at them and I did get the afternoon eventually but I had to go in after the interview. Stupid thing was I was only there about an hour and then I could go home like I had asked for! When I had gone in there after the interview I had received a telling off for having gone to the director who is nice and I said I would see him should I need him!

It had been a constant round of aggravation and I think I couldn't take anymore when I was taken ill back in December.

I had thought about resigning without another post to go to but decided against it when I had calmed down and was thinking more rationally as I wasn't giving them the satisfaction!

I am hoping to go back to job hunting after Easter as I am feeling ready and loads better and what I intend to do when interviews come up is take the days as annual leave then there's nothing they can do about it!

I am looking forward to the day when I am offered a great job I can't refuse and have signed the contract for it and go to them with a resignation letter giving a months notice and that will be a right smack in the face as there won't be a thing they can do about it!

She who laughs last will laugh the longest!

Hi so sorry about your illness I hope you’re doing well and your on the mend, it most be awful being in a job that you’re not happy with hope you find something that will appreciate you and that you enjoy going to 🙂

I'm a lot better now thanks for asking. No need to be sorry as I feel it was the best thing that could have happened to me as it was a wake up call into making some positive lifestyle changes like dealing with stress, eating healthier, being more active and taking time out for myself more than what I did and also taking the medication prescribed for me religiously as well.

Something will turn up eventually and one day I will look back and ask myself why did I let it bother me so much?

1 like

You may also like...