Weight Loss NHS
72,196 members38,784 posts

What's next ?

I went to see my doctor this afternoon as soon as I sat down I knew there was a problem simply from the look on his face.

I am diabetic apparently, first I've heard of it and my weight loss could be in part due to that as its not known how long I have been diabetic. I can't work out how I feel about this new problem to be honest I am seeing the practice nurse tomorrow who will hopefully explain all of what is going on and or needs to change. As soon as I was told, when I had returned home I spoke by phone to a couple of friends looking for reassurance or support, its amazing how many of my friends knew some one who have suffered with diabetes and they are now fully fledged experts, one friend I very nearly put the phone down on her as I couldn't get a word in edge wise.

So what comes next I've no idea just now.

40 Replies
oldestnewest

I don't quite know what to say Pete57. It's one of those things that you just can't imagine until it happens to you.

You do have a positive aspect to it though. You have already lost over 5st. So this may mean you only have to make a few additional changes to the successful changes you've already made.

Check out some forums and web sites that have been started for people with diabetes. Read a lot and start making some changes where you can.

Even ask the practice nurse if she's heard of the Blood Sugar Diet, and what she thinks of it.

And keep us posted on how you're going :)

4 likes

Thanks for your reply, my Doctor says I do have a better working knowledge of food than most people he knows so that will help. I qualified as a chef in 1976 and spent a good few months working in a hospital diet kitchen just wish I could remember half of what I learned during those months.

4 likes

It'll be like riding a bike. Once you start reading the Docs recommendations it will all come flooding back :)

2 likes

I'm sure it's all changed by now anyway! ;)

Sorry to hear, Pete57 . Good luck with the nurse, but as has been said, I'm sure that having lost so much already you've probably gone a long way towards where you need to be. Best wishes.

1 like

I think the thing that's really annoying me just now is the suggestion that some of my weight loss could well be down to the diabetes rather than my own efforts.

1 like

Yes, I can see how that would be annoying. To put in all the effort and be told it would have happened without it. But it was only "in part" so I think you can still take the achievement as your own. After all, if you hadn't changed you could very well have been still putting on weight up to now. You've still done a fantastic job and should be proud of yourself.

1 like

Thank you

1 like

Ok so you have diabetes , your practice nurse will become your best friend - she will be able to help you with everything . Diet - any meds - life style the lot .

Before you go maybe write down any questions etc - your head will probably be full of them now .

I know it's easy for me to sit here and say try not to worry but really - try not to .

( I did have gestational diabetes and I was fortunate to be able to control it through diet )

So I will now always be at risk .

There will always be someone who knows best etc and you probably don't need that right now X

stay away from doctor Google tonight !

I hope all goes well for you X

4 likes

What is gestational diabetes ? that's one I've not heard of before, if you don't mind my asking.

Thanks for your response and wise words

2 likes

Sorry Gestational diabetes is when you are pregnant and get Diabetes .

2 likes

Well I can be sure I've not got that type !

7 likes

Lol yes X

Sorry to hear Pete57 I have no experience so can offer no advice and as you know none of us on here are medically qualified :)

Wishing you all the best :)

I caught the tail end of Tom Keddridge show last night - jao77 watched it and posted this healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

1 like

I'm sorry to hear your news - good that you'll be getting proper medical advice Pete57. As others have said, there's a lot of evidence that type 2 diabetes (at least in the early stages) can be reversed with diet and exercise. The available drugs do work, but can have side effects (e.g. tummy upset or weight gain - just what you don't need!) And their effectiveness does tend to diminish over time unfortunately, so anything that you can do to modify your lifestyle is definitely worth trying. Wishing you the best of luck with getting your condition under control.

Hi Pete57

Well done for having your check-up, the good news is that it can now be reversible by losing weight.. I have been following with interest this website as we have "late onset type 2 diabetes" in our family...

diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-car...

2 likes

Hi Pete 57,

Read the blood sugar diet book,by Michael Mosley.

Talks about diebetes and what can be done to reverse it .

I'm not a doctor or an expert,but I've read the book.

Good luck ,you will sort it out,great advice and support on this forum.

Gary

2 likes

Hi Pete57 though I have not got Diabetes, my mam has and she went from tablets to diet controlled and I have read several people postings on this forum who though weren't Diabetic were in the High Risk group on developing it and were able to move out of that group after loosing weight and changing their diet. Do you know yet if you have to start tablets or will be able to manage it with diet or will you find that out when you speak to the practice nurse?

As Cwtch2018 mentioned write all the questions that come into your head, since they will bound to go out of your head whilst you are with the nurse! Wishing you all the best

2 likes

Have you been diagnosed with Type 2 which can be controlled a lot with diet or type 1 that is insulin controlled ?

1 like

Type 2

Hi, Pete57, sorry to hear your diagnosis, but it's good that they've caught it before you become really poorly. My other half is 53, and had lost weight, also had some other problems that he kept to himself, went on for ages not doing anything about it (like it was going to get better on it's own - men!) in the end, I made an appointment with the doctor & made him go. His blood sugar was so high the doctor didn't know how he was still standing, & said I'd probably saved his life! It was one hell of a shock to us both. He got started on meds, been to the nurse & had to modify his diet, but he is doing okay. He finds it tricky sometimes, as he has a very sweet tooth, but he has learnt to love fruit, which he never did. He got his diagnosis in December last year. He's off to get his bloods checked later today. I'm sure you will find once you can take in all the information, you will soon get used to a new lifestyle.

His diagnosis is what brought me here - I am approaching a big birthday next year, checked my BMI & got a shock. I was directed to this wonderful forum, been on the healthy eating for almost 5 weeks, so far so good. The support here is amazing ☺👏 can't recommend it enough, if you do need to use it. I am trying to get myself lighter, fitter & with a healthy BMI so we're not both on medication. Sorry I've rambled on a bit! Good luck ☺

4 likes

Hello Joanney

Thank you for your response, like your other half I too have a sweet tooth, I already love fruit. This has come about not from my doctors but rather my optician who I saw just over three weeks ago now, my eye sight changed dramatically over Christmas to the point of my stopping wearing my glass's as I felt I could see better without them, which I could.

I have something called PMR Polymyalgia rheumatica which is linked to something I think is called big or single cell arthritis which can in some cases cause a suffer to go blind, that is why I went to get my eyes tested and it was at the optician that requested the blood tests.

With my loosing weight I have already reduced certain foods this next problem (Diabetes) will I suspect be a continuation of that process.

If humour can be applied to the situation it came yesterday a snipped from the conversation between my Doctor and Myself.

Doctor - Have you been peeing more ?

Me - how the hell would I know you've got me taking three water pills a day !

1 like

Haha, you have to try to keep a sense of humour, as with most things ☺ that was another thing, he'd be out 3 times in the night at least. Also drinking gallons. I'm glad the optician got on to the problem for you, they can tell such a lot from an eye test, hope all goes well with the nurse later. Let us know how you get on ☺

1 like

Will do

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

Thank you all for your advice and links, I do expect I will know more later after I've seen the practice nurse.

1 like

Hi Pete57 just want to echo what so many people have said already. It is possible to reverse your diabetes symptoms through diet alone and without the need to resort to meds. Please do consider looking up the Blood Sugar Diet! Not sure if you are a FaceBook fan, but there is a great group on there too where you can read regularly about people having reversed their diabetes within months! It can be done! facebook.com/groups/1628856...

1 like

I’ve nkthing to add to the wonderful responses here, but please keep us posted Pete 😊

What a waste of time !

I was hoping to be given some answers to the many questions I have, silly me expecting help - the practice nurse first told me of a web site Diabetes UK - the only site that's worth looking at, to every one of my questions I got the same response go look on the web site it'll tell you All you need to know put your question into the search bar and the answers will be on there !

To be honest right now I feel like curling up and crying !

In 2014, Diabetes UK had a debate about whether it was time to stop promoting carbohydrate to people with diabetes. The motion was carried i.e. yes it is time, but Diabetes UK have ties with Public Health England, and so continue to advocate the Eatwell Guide.

I'm telling you this because ultimately there is a happy ending. The lady that won the debate heads a charity that train the trainers for some of the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme, some of the key principles can be found here phcuk.org/wp-content/upload... which her organisation are affiliated to.

1 like

Hi Pete.

Sorry to hear you have received more bad news about your health, and that you don’t seem to be getting the support from your medical practice that you need.

Can you just clarify for me - with apologies if you have already said, whether you have Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes.

its type 2

👍

I am on a mega glitch IT HU session so apologies if I am brief

It is rubbish that that is all the help your nurse gave you. Makes me cross.

There are two big Diabetes websites. Choose Diabetes.co.uk (not org) who advocate low carb and have videos on their site - one a week is unlocked if you sign up - there’s good advice based on the latest research.

Ask (push hard) your GP if you can go on a Diabetes Prevention Programme. It is not available in all areas, but if it is available to you and you qualify, you would find help, advice and answers.

I’m going. Before the HU glitches bite me. 😮

If the above is rubbish, tell me. 😀

2 likes

No advise is rubbish MissisB, I do plan to have words with my GP over the practice nurse's attitude, a few simple questions answered would have likely pushed me in the correct direction, I still feel as if I've been told I have this problem and also told to deal with it.

I've been having a look at the web site in question and it most likely is very good, but its also like information over load as I'm not to sure what I'm looking for exactly, I do have a pretty good knowledge of food but on this new site I came across this as a suggestion for an alternative breakfast

"Try dry roasted methi paratha instead of aloo paratha."

Think I'll be using google a lot in my future too ;)

😮 Are you sure you are on a UK site, that sounds very alien to me.

diabetes.co.uk/

It is complex, and when you receive a diagnosis, it is overload to try to work out how best to look after yourself. It does become clearer - and hopefully you will get some help from your GP soon.

1 like

Yes apparently its a type of Indian bread and yes to the latter the help from the GP that would be nice too.

Hi Pete . I have quite a few friends with Type 2 . What they don't know about nutrition isn't worth knowing as over time they can tell you whats in most foods without consulting the pack . We get together frequently as this is our wake up call and motivation to change our lives . I haven't got Type 2 but I ended up with hiatus hernia resulting in surgery and this was 100% weight related so I know the only way to deal with this is decent food and portion control . Not going over strict but a bit of restraint . Advice = guidance . Most of it you will know .

1 like

Yes, I figure sugar has to go but then I only use a little on cereals, I'm going to try canderell and get rid of some of the more sugar filled foods I love, maybe a case of moderation once I figure out what's going on and what I need to be aware of.

I do think this will become part of the journey I am already on as I do eat health and go with a balanced diet as it is.

A friend was laughing at me this morning at weight watchers because I make flavoured Gin, but I don't drink, I grow cucumbers but I don't like them.

On another note I have lost 2 lbs this week running total 82.5 lbs another 1.5 lbs will be six stones gone :)

Wow you are doing so well with your weight loss. My mates with T2 all have sugar limits and find so many 'hidden' sugars in baked beans , cereal and even some savoury very salty snacks . I don't think they use sugar subs either . Some had to change very radically .

Well I have been using sweetex for some time now and as a breakfast cereal I like weetabix, 12 months a go I was having 4 weetabix for breakfast, that is now down to one a day. I switched down from thick white bread to medium I have in the last few weeks been trying to make my own bread and I know for sure there's no sugar in it, not to sure about the oil content as yet. The only thing I have out of a tin is tomatoes and they can easily be substituted with fresh, the only frozen food I eat is something I've frozen myself.

You may also like...