Tips & advice

Hi all 👋🏻

I’m new here despite this being my second post (I joined ageeess ago but wasn’t as serious 🙈).

I have looked at the 12 week plan and associated meal plan apps for inspiration but I am wondering what your tips would be if you could share them with yourself when you first started this journey?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • At first and for awhile at least record everything that you Eat or drink. Good or bad.

Remember you may not lose on the scale sometimes so take other measurements like your waist to see non scale victories.

If you slip up just put it behind you and keep going. You can exercise a bit more if you feel you need to compensate.

Make sure you eat enough calories, try not to miss meals.

If you don’t have the snacks in the house you are less likely to eat them.

I told my husband to stop buying me treats on his way home and if he wanted them get things I don’t like I.e. mint chocolate, mars bars or boosts.

Try to drink lots of water if you don’t already. Classic mum advise- drink a glass before dinner or if you think you are hungry as you might just be thirsty.

Sit down to have you meal and be mindful of eating.

Don’t deprive yourself of too much just only have a little sometimes.

Shout out on here if you are struggling or need a bit of help or advice

🤗

• I am using Samsung health app on my mobile and register every single valorie. Is really important. Everything adds up. Can be a bit time consuming but worth every single minute. I am in my 11 mtg week and only very few times I couldn't have the accurate calorie count but kind of guessed...

Good luck.

• Hi and welcome Tom :)

I'd like to invite you to join our Newbie Club, which we hope will be a good place for you to connect with members, who are also just starting out. If you just post a few words to introduce yourself and respond to others there, you'll soon break the ice. Here's the link

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

You'll find all the information you need to navigate the forum in the header, so please take the time to read it carefully.

Wishing you all the best :)

• Thank you

• Hi TomSawyer I’ve downloaded the MyFitnessPal app to help count calories. I totalled up today’s intake and surprisingly I haven’t reached the limit, although I know for certain that other days I’ll exceed it!

• I know. But you will be surprised. I m always under the limit and very unusual that I am hungry. As we start adding up and choosing healthier versions of food, with the nutrients we need, we don't need as many calories as before. I am so happy with this programme. I have let already more the 14 Kg (2 or 3 befire I started these programme) but with this calorie count all seems o consistent and steady :) and I go to the gym nd walk quite a lot which helps.

Hope it works for you.

• Some fab tips thank you!

• I would have told myself to make sure I eat enough or I would not lose and eventually gain. Also that some exercise is a must and never give up and try not to give in or it will become a bad habit.

• The best piece of advice I can give you, Nicole, is to become involved in forum life. Join the Events and read and respond to all the posts.

There's a mine of information available here and the more you put in the more you get out :)

• Thank you. I’m adjusting to the app and starting to explore more by reading up on posts and events. How do I join an event on the app?

• The App is actually more trouble than it's worth, Nicole. If you've read the header of the Newbie Club, you'll see that we advise that you use the full website page.

• I'm on the full website now and what a difference!

• Sorry for the delay in responding nicole652

On the full website you will be able to,see Pinned Posts and Events on the home page, and Topics when you are on th Posts Page

Please see FAQs or the Newbie Club for full information on site navigation

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

• Tips from me are - plan your meals for the next day every evening. Plan for your difficult spots, don't deprive yourself of all your favourite foods, just moderate and plan it, try out new things and work towards getting as much nutrition out of every calorie that you can while still enjoying your food.

And most of all, come here as much as possible, especially when you're struggling, it is like having a supportive hug from a wonderful group of friends.

• Advice his that you want to do it for yourself and not for any one else good luck

• My tip... PLAN

Plan your meals for the day and record what you're eating. It's important to do this especially at first. And i still do it from time to time if my weight slips up a bit.

A Big Warm welcome to you and it's lovely to have you along.😊

You may also like...